Play Book Tag discussion

May 2017: 2004 > The Cold Dish: A Longmire Mystery (Book 1) by Craig Johnson - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlie (new)

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 393 comments Published in December of 2004, it took me almost 13 years to read my first Longmire mystery. I've seen these books at the bookstore but I just have never made it a point to read one. So I was very excited when this month's tag and the first of what is now fifteen books in the series coincided.

This is a murder mystery that involves the revenge killing of some but not all of the four high school football players two years after the rape of a local Cheyenne girl. The setting is Wyoming and the characters are all small town western.

The author has a drawn a great character in Walt Longmire. He's very likable but not without issues and demons that chase him. Walt's supporting cast is equally entertaining and Johnson's descriptions of the Wyoming setting are beautiful. I figured out the mystery but it had me guessing until about the last 100 pages.

I liked it a lot and will definitely check out book #2 well before the next 13 years pass.

message 2: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2182 comments I borrowed that one and didn't get to it. I'm running out of time and am in the middle of one audio and one print. I probably won't make it but I'll keep it on my list for sure!

message 3: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments This one is sitting on the shelf since I don't know when... not yet 13 years, though. Really need to get to it.

message 4: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4904 comments I've been meaning to check out this series - this looks like a good excuse, as I've only got one book in for 2004 so far!

message 5: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) I started the Longmire series last year after my son and I liked the television/Netflix series. I enjoy it. I think I'm up to about #7.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I love the show! I never thought to read the book. It sounds good. Thanks!

message 7: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Blueberry wrote: "I started the Longmire series last year after my son and I liked the television/Netflix series. I enjoy it. I think I'm up to about #7."

I didn't realize it was a TV series. I may check that out.

message 8: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 824 comments I love the Netflix series; I always feel more excited about a series when I discover it's based on a book (or book series). Sounds like the Longmire books are worth checking out! Thanks for the review.