CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2017 > July/August: Cross Canada Challenge - Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4274 comments Mod
A place to discuss books written by or set in each province and territory. This is a big challenge so we are starting it in May and ending at the end of July. Let's see how many of us can read across Canada!!

message 2: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 625 comments this sounds like big fun.
count me in!

message 3: by Megan (last edited May 23, 2017 12:11PM) (new)

Megan  | 628 comments 13 books? Wow! I'll at least get a start on it. :)

message 4: by Mj (new)

Mj | 1195 comments I already have my June books planned (on hold or in hand) and in 1 month (July) it's doubtful that I can make much of a dent in reading 10 provinces and 3 territories so will pass on this challenge.

However, I will be cheering in spirit for those who have 2 months available to dedicate to this challenge. Any consideration for including August as well? Good luck to those taking up this challenge!!

message 5: by ❀ Susan (new)

It is daunting but that is why this challenge is starting early from now until the end of July. Good idea to add August, it can be a summer project.

It might be a stretch goal but we can have fun trying!

message 6: by Mj (new)

Mj | 1195 comments Thanks Susan for your flexibility and making it a summer challenge by adding August. Certainly makes the challenge seem far more doable for me anyway. And hopefully for others as well!! :-)

message 7: by ❀ Susan (new)

In the end it is all about what we want to get out of the challenges so flexibility is a good thing for all. I hope that we can have some
Fun and read some books we might not have normally gravitated to.

message 8: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 625 comments We have a big advantage with our cross country bingo lists. I have always wanted to walk across Canada, but its daunting and so I end up taking the train or bus. This will be a good compromise. More intimate without great expense and not a great deal of organization:-)

message 9: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 787 comments I really like the idea of this challenge. What a wonderful idea!

message 10: by Diane (last edited May 25, 2017 08:02AM) (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 548 comments Here's one I found set in Yellowknift, NWT, Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay and a few of her books are set in Saskatchewan as well.

message 11: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 383 comments I did this a few years ago, on my own - although I did it across the course of a year! It was lots of fun. Here's a link to my shelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 12: by Mj (last edited May 25, 2017 08:16AM) (new)

Mj | 1195 comments @ Diane - thanks for that idea. Am currently thinking of The Lesser Blessed that Mary Anne mentioned a while back in another thread but yours sounds like a good choice as well.

message 13: by Mj (new)

Mj | 1195 comments Great mix on your shelf Emmkay. Thanks for sharing.

message 14: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 787 comments Emmkay wrote: "I did this a few years ago, on my own - although I did it across the course of a year! It was lots of fun. Here's a link to my shelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list......"

Hi Emmkay. What province did Ru represent on your challenge?

message 15: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 383 comments Hi Natasha - I used Ru for Quebec.

message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 548 comments Just read my first one, for Newfoundland, Baygirl by Heather Smith, a YA book, not bad. Very quick read

message 18: by ❀ Susan (new)

Hi everyone - like our bingo challenge, I have added a thread for our completion plans. We can keep the conversation here and add our plans to the new thread.

message 19: by Diane (last edited May 28, 2017 07:39AM) (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 548 comments I've started my reading trail across Canada (see above, with Baygirl) and have made tentative plans for almost all the provinces and territories. I like seeing what others have read or are planning to read as in the Bingo challenge, because I often find books I'd love to read and change my own selection for a square/month! I need an Alberta choice but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

I don't know if I'll get through them all before the end of July. I might if I don't read anything outside of the list and I doubt I'll be able to keep to that! But I will do it by the end of summer.

@Rainey Ravenscraig looks wonderful, a great choice for Manitoba which I think I'll add to my list as well.

message 20: by Mj (last edited May 28, 2017 05:58PM) (new)

Mj | 1195 comments Ooops!! Moving my post that should have posted here and instead was posted to Bingo Completion Plans in error.

It was a response to Rainey's question now in post #23 below.

I'm choosing with the understanding that it's either option and at the participant's discretion, just like the Bingo Challenge. Hopefully Susan will clarify soon if this assumption is a faux pas.

message 21: by ❀ Susan (new)

thanks MJ... just trying to keep us organized :)

message 22: by Mj (new)

Mj | 1195 comments No problem. I should have known better and appreciate you keeping us organized - not always the easiest of tasks!! :)

message 23: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 830 comments stupid question here. Is it books set in the province/territory or where the author is from or both?

message 24: by ❀ Susan (new)

Thanks Rainey!!

LOL - this seems to be a conundrum in a few of our challenges but like MJ said, I think we can choose for ourselves either the setting or where the author is from... to add to that, some authors might have been born in one place and currently reside in another. We can be flexible as the challenge is really to enrich our own reading. :)

message 25: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2264 comments Diane wrote: "Here's one I found set in Yellowknift, NWT, Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay and a few of her books are set in Saskatchewan as well."

I LOVED Late Nights on Air! A quiet, beautiful, human book that I would recommend to anyone looking for a NWT book.

Man, this is a big challenge. I haven't yet figured out how to structure it. I don't think I'll get 13 books read, so I'm trying to figure out how many I may do, including those that may overlap with BINGO. Hard to decide!

message 26: by Mj (last edited May 29, 2017 07:10PM) (new)

Mj | 1195 comments @ Allison - at least we have an extra month now. It doesn't end on July 31st. We might even have another day as August has 31 days and the 31st is a Thursday and perhaps the September long weekend is a consideration. lol (feel free to ignore me Susan....it's a great challenge!!) :)

I did check it out (first time joining officially) and determined I could increase my goal later.....so I'm starting with a doable goal.....and hoping to increase later if I achieve my goal soon.

Fyi, there's lots of opportunity for overlap. June is Indigenous Month (lots on my bingo Card) and what remains for me in Bingo hits a number of provinces. Just make sure you choose books that can do double or triple duty!! And have fun!!

Go for it!! It's lots more doable than you think!! Good luck!!

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan | 939 comments I'm going to use this challenge as a way to pick Canadian reads over the next 2 months. I'm hoping I can read 5 titles from different provinces/territories.

I started my first selection last night: Little Sister. It seems too easy to start off with Ontario, but I was #1 on the library's "on order" list so this one was picked for me. :-)

message 28: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 567 comments I probably won't actively participate in this, as I have two other challenges on the go, and trying to finish up the bingo, but I will definitely be reading some Canadian lit.

For those who have read Late Nights on Air can you advise if it fits the criteria "Read a book where two people fall in love"?

message 29: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2264 comments It's been years since I read it, @Heather, but I don't remember it as a love story. There may be a little bit of that, but that's not the spine of the whole story, I don't think.

message 30: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 567 comments Ok thanks Allison, I was afraid of that.

So is there a great Canadian Love story out there? (sorry if I am getting this thread off topic, we can always list what province the book is set in to keep it relevant)

message 31: by Allison (last edited May 30, 2017 08:01AM) (new)

Allison | 2264 comments Well there is Griffin and Sabine which is a really short book, but so, so beautiful in its story and in its incredible artwork.

Sweetness in the Belly may just make the cut, as it has that theme in it. I think The Stone Diaries would work too.

And if you haven't yet read it, And the Birds Rained Down is one of my all-time fave books, and definitely a love story!

message 32: by Allison (last edited May 30, 2017 08:54AM) (new)

Allison | 2264 comments Or how about Deafening by Frances Itani?

message 33: by Mj (last edited May 30, 2017 08:28AM) (new)

Mj | 1195 comments @ Heather - I wouldn't hesitate in calling Ragged Company a love story. Was moved to tears throughout. (view spoiler) I see you read it in 2017 - not sure if that's a plus or minus for your challenge.

message 34: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments @Heather(Gibby) you could read Republic of Love|368503] by Carol Shields. It's a love story set in Winnipeg if that also helps with this challenge.

message 35: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 567 comments Thanks for the great ideas everyone.

message 36: by ❀ Susan (new)

Great suggestions... and i second And the Birds Rained Down. I read that knowing nothing about it and also LOVED it!

message 37: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 830 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "Great suggestions... and i second And the Birds Rained Down. I read that knowing nothing about it and also LOVED it!"

Seriously LOVE LOVE LOVED And the Birds Rained Down

message 38: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 548 comments Also Tell by Frances Itani, with some of the same characters as Deafening. And there's a case to be made for Anne and Gilbert in Anne of Green Gables, too!

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan | 939 comments I finished my Ontario read: Little Sister. I gave it 3 stars but it was really more like 3.5. I enjoyed it and the Toronto setting but something about it just didn't sweep me up completely.

I was poking around on my shelves and found Madame Zee, which I was excited to learn can do double-duty as a book for British Columbia and G2, Book About Someone Immigrating to Canada for bingo (I have surprisingly few options on my shelves for that square). I really liked Pearl Luke's first novel, Burning Ground, so hopefully this one will also be good. (I love it when these challenges make me pull out a book that's been on my shelves forever!)

message 40: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 625 comments As usual my elegant plans are required to adjust to practical considerations, such as accessibility and library due dates.
I visualized starting in BC, at the Pacific, and proceeding along all the way to the Atlantic then circling back through the North, which in fact i did. Start that is.
i didnt think the book i chose was especially representative of bc but dealt with more universal themes. I now have 3 other Bc titles to choose from and yikes i just got another Theresa Kishkin...and fooey, the lesser blessed is due today. Its a slim book but from what i infer, packs quite a whallop. I'm stoked.

message 41: by Mj (new)

Mj | 1195 comments @ Magdelayne. Yes sometimes there's book droughts and then the library books pour in all at once. I too have The Lesser Blessed by Richard Van Camp in hand for the June Indigenous Challenge as well as for NWT for the Summer Cross Canada Challenge.

@ Mary Anne thanks for recommending Lesser Blessed for Bingo Square I1 (Book made into a movie). Even though I did choose another book for this square.....it's come in handy for the other challenges and am looking forward to reading the book and later watching the movie.

However, other Challenge Participants take note. Heck you can't beat 1 book that counts for 3 challenges!!

message 42: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments I've just discovered this category and I've never tried a challenge before but this looks like fun. There is no way I will be finished by
August but I'm going to start with whatever the next group will be as that will be NFLD. This is very exciting.

message 43: by Susan (new)

Susan | 939 comments I took a break from this challenge to read some library holds that came through, but am back at it again with Cool Water for Saskatchewan. Yet another book I've had hanging around forever and haven't read. I'm enjoying it so far! (And it does double duty for bingo - I'm using it for N5, Giller square, since it was long listed in 2010.)

message 44: by Diane (last edited Jun 28, 2017 07:06AM) (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 548 comments I'm doing quite well, have 6 read so far, so I'm halfway there. I'm stuck on what to read for Alberta, though. Any of the ones I've seen so far that would work as far as author or setting are ones i've already read! (though I would recommend The Outlander by Gil Adamson, The Three Sisters Bar and Hotel by Katherine Govier, Under This Unbroken Sky by Shandi Mitchell.

Now, having said that, I just looked and saw that Katherine Govier has a number of books so I think that if I can get hold of one of them through the library, that will work as she is from Alberta.

message 45: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Diane - wow - great progress!!! I found The Three Sisters Bar.. a bit slow but did like the overall story. These are great suggestions fro me as I still have not decided on Alberta!

message 46: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 548 comments I think I'd particularly say go with Outlander or Unbroken Sky. I liked Three Sisters but the other two I liked more.

message 47: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 625 comments I am not going by the map, alas, and seem to be bogged down a bit in BC. The Lesser Blessed by Richard Van Camp is not far but then I had to leap read The Piano Maker for todays in person book club. Its set in Nova Scotia, but some of in France and theres some travel to Alberta.

I have a couple of other titles reserved.
I loved 3 sisters bar and grill btw.

message 48: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 548 comments I found Alberta! Prairie Ostrich by Tamai Kobayashi. The library had it available in digital version so I'm good to go.

Are we taking this challenge through to the end of August or just July? I know we started early, June..

message 49: by ❀ Susan (new)

The suggestion was to keep it going all summer long. :)

message 50: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 548 comments Excellent! I should be able to finish by then

« previous 1 3