Obsessed with True Crime discussion

The Fact of a Body: A Murder and a Memoir
This topic is about The Fact of a Body
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
True Crime Published 2017 > The Fact of a Body

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Jan 02, 2019 09:43AM) (new) - added it

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3326 comments Mod
Hardcover, 336 pages
Published May 16th 2017 by Flatiron Books

"Before Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich begins a summer job at a law firm in Louisiana, working to help defend men accused of murder, she thinks her position is clear. The child of two lawyers, she is staunchly anti-death penalty. But the moment convicted murderer Ricky Langley’s face flashes on the screen as she reviews old tapes―the moment she hears him speak of his crimes―she is overcome with the feeling of wanting him to die. Shocked by her reaction, she digs deeper and deeper into the case. Despite their vastly different circumstances, something in his story is unsettlingly, uncannily familiar.

Crime, even the darkest and most unsayable acts, can happen to any one of us. As Alexandria pores over the facts of the murder, she finds herself thrust into the complicated narrative of Ricky’s childhood. And by examining the details of Ricky’s case, she is forced to face her own story, to unearth long-buried family secrets, and reckon with a past that colors her view of Ricky's crime."

message 2: by Bonnie (last edited Jun 24, 2017 08:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bonnie Kernene | 27 comments I read this book and loved it. Here is the link to my review:

My Review

message 3: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new) - added it

Another review for this "MUST READ OF THE SUMMER"

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Koren  (koren56) | 1354 comments Just got this from the library. It is a monthly challenge in the Nonfiction group.

message 5: by Fishface (new) - added it

Fishface | 11650 comments Huh. Two birds, one stone!

message 6: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin  | 374 comments I have this book but I haven't started it. I'll get to it in a month or two.

Bonnie Kernene | 27 comments I really liked the book. I hope you guys do, too. It is written about 2 stories and how they somewhat intertwine, so to speak. The author has some very interesting insights. Good read!

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 537 comments I picked this up from the libe today, now I've poured a glass of wine, and I may read all night. If it's good enough.
Thank whomever for my local libe.

message 9: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin  | 374 comments Are we all reading this at the same time?!!!!

Koren  (koren56) | 1354 comments Erin wrote: "Are we all reading this at the same time?!!!!"

I'm starting.

Koren  (koren56) | 1354 comments About 50 pages in. This is really a different approach to writing a True crime book. It just seems to flow. At first it was difficult to transition between the crime and her bio but now I know each chapter is going to change from the crime to her so it gets easier.

message 12: by Hari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 537 comments I'm at 41 pages. A bit novelistic for my taste, but I'm getting into it. Not what the back-cover blurbs say about it, but mildly engaging so far.

message 13: by Hari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 537 comments I'm now at 100 pages, and I'm liking it. Her style has some unique features, not unpleasant, and though the subject matter is tragic and heart breaking, she doesn't appear to be looking for the reader's pity.
I decided just now to read some of the reviews others have written, and am struck, again, by how many reviewers feel they have to write a book report along with their critique. Almost every review contains a synopsis. So unnecessary, so boring. Everyone who read GoodRead's knows what the book is about. A review is a critical appraisal of the content and style of a book, not a rehash of the plot.

Koren  (koren56) | 1354 comments Hari wrote: "I'm now at 100 pages, and I'm liking it. Her style has some unique features, not unpleasant, and though the subject matter is tragic and heart breaking, she doesn't appear to be looking for the rea..."

If I am on the books page I wont tell what the book is about because people can just look at the book description to see what it is about but if I am on a group page I will sometimes give a brief, two or three sentence description so people don't have to look it up. I tend to make my reviews brief as I don't think most people have the time or inclination to read long reviews. It seems like there is always so much to keep up with on Goodreads. I never feel like I am caught up on reading posts.

Koren  (koren56) | 1354 comments For those who have read the book: (If not this could be a spoiler):

I'm a little over 200 pages now and I have a question that probably sounds crazy and a little (or a lot) macabre, but....

The boy was hidden in a closet for 3 days, yet there is no mention of the odor and his funeral was open casket. This was a surprise to me. What do you think?

Koren  (koren56) | 1354 comments A few thoughts on this book while I'm thinking about them. I'm two thirds done.

I find it a little confusing to go back and forth in time so much. And then back and forth between the crime and the author's life.

I find the author uses conjecture quite a bit. There is a lot of...Maybe he did this, maybe she thought this, and even a maybe he wore this...If it is to be labeled 'true' crime' I don't think there is room for supposition.

message 17: by Hari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 537 comments Koren wrote: "For those who have read the book: (If not this could be a spoiler):

I'm a little over 200 pages now and I have a question that probably sounds crazy and a little (or a lot) macabre, but....

The..."

This is also a question I have.

message 18: by Hari (last edited Aug 14, 2017 12:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 537 comments Koren wrote: "Hari wrote: "I'm now at 100 pages, and I'm liking it. Her style has some unique features, not unpleasant, and though the subject matter is tragic and heart breaking, she doesn't appear to be lookin..."

Hi, Koren, and other group members,
I understand that your reviews differ according to where they are posted, but if, for example, you are on our group page, or even if you are reviewing the book elsewhere on Goodread's, would your review read like: "This book is about a man named T___ D____ who is __ years old, lives in (name a state), and in 19__ he molested (insert a name)" , etc, etc,(i.e., giving detailed specifics about the book), rather than more like: "This book is about a man who committed a crime against a boy, and the consequences for them both and their families," etc, etc, (i.e. describe it more generally), and then go on to detail your feelings about it?
I just have a problem with, for example, a site where multiple authors are reviewing the same book, and each starts out with a synopsis, using the same information. It's fine for grade school, where you have to let the teacher know you actually read the book, but I feel as adults we ought to be able to avoid that.
What do the group members feel about this? I could be wrong...
Regards, Hari

Koren  (koren56) | 1354 comments Hari wrote: "Koren wrote: "Hari wrote: "I'm now at 100 pages, and I'm liking it. Her style has some unique features, not unpleasant, and though the subject matter is tragic and heart breaking, she doesn't appea..."

Most of the time I don't do either one. I just state what my opinion is and they can look up what the book is about if they want to. When I do tell what the book is about I think it would be closer to the second example you gave.

Koren  (koren56) | 1354 comments Hari wrote: "Koren wrote: "For those who have read the book: (If not this could be a spoiler):

I'm a little over 200 pages now and I have a question that probably sounds crazy and a little (or a lot) macabre..."

Hari, I guess we needed to be a little more patient. She does address the question we have on page 243.

Koren  (koren56) | 1354 comments I am wondering why there are no pictures in this book. I found it frustrating that she describes pictures she found in yearbooks and researching in local newspapers. I would really like to have seen those pictures.

message 22: by Fishface (new) - added it

Fishface | 11650 comments Koren wrote: "I am wondering why there are no pictures in this book. I found it frustrating that she describes pictures she found in yearbooks and researching in local newspapers. I would really like to have see..."

That drives me crazy in TC books.

message 23: by Hari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 537 comments Koren wrote: "Hari wrote: "Koren wrote: "For those who have read the book: (If not this could be a spoiler):

I'm a little over 200 pages now and I have a question that probably sounds crazy and a little (or a..."

Hi, Koren,
I noticed that also. "Borderline".
Regards, Hari

Koren  (koren56) | 1354 comments Ok. I'm done with this book. If I had read the 'sources consulted' at the end of the book I probably wouldn't have even read this book. She goes chapter by chapter and tells where she got the information and how much was her 'imagination'. So, this book is part fiction and part nonfiction I think. Definitely should not be labeled True Crime.

message 25: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new) - added it

Oh ugh! I knew there was a reason I didn't want to read this. Thank you for taking one for the team.

Koren  (koren56) | 1354 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Oh ugh! I knew there was a reason I didn't want to read this. Thank you for taking one for the team."

No problem. It was a library book.

message 27: by Fishface (last edited Aug 16, 2017 10:12AM) (new) - added it

Fishface | 11650 comments Hari wrote: "Koren wrote: "Hari wrote: "I'm now at 100 pages, and I'm liking it. Her style has some unique features, not unpleasant, and though the subject matter is tragic and heart breaking, she doesn't appea..."

Hari, I totally agree that a book review on GR -- never mind the blurb on the book jacket -- should never be written like a 6th-grade book report. Not only does it ruin any surprises in the story but it insults the reader's intelligence. A "review" like that not only keeps me from knowing why the writer did or did not like the book, and withers any impulse to discuss or analyse it, but it also actively turns me away from reading it myself.

message 28: by Hari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 537 comments Fishface, I'm glad someone agrees with me. This represents one of my literary pet-peeves (along with "throbbing, jumping, or pulsing veins").

message 29: by Fishface (new) - added it

Fishface | 11650 comments Hmm, what about "heaving bosoms"?

message 30: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin  | 374 comments If you're friends with me or follow my reviews you know that all my reviews are rambling and mostly nonsensical. Also I'm too lazy to summarize my reviews.

Koren  (koren56) | 1354 comments Erin wrote: "If you're friends with me or follow my reviews you know that all my reviews are rambling and mostly nonsensical. Also I'm too lazy to summarize my reviews."

I think some people write reviews for other people and some people write for themselves to look back on later. Both are allowed on Goodreads.

Laura Laidman (laura_raptor) | 3 comments I listened to it in audio format and loved it. It's self narrated and the emotion in the book is heartbreaking and enthralling.

message 33: by Hari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 537 comments Interesting I may have to listen to it. I've heard her interviewed on one podcast or another, prior to reading the book, and I was impressed by her passion for the subject. Which was a reason for me to find the book sooner rather than later.

message 34: by Hari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 537 comments Interesting I may have to listen to it. I've heard her interviewed on one podcast or another, prior to reading the book, and I was impressed by her passion for the subject. Which was a reason for me to find the book sooner rather than later.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.