Page Turners at HealthPartners discussion

May-June: Absolutely True Diary > Discussion - “It sucks to be poor, and it sucks to feel that you somehow deserve to be poor."

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cait (new)

Cait Junior says: “It sucks to be poor, and it sucks to feel that you somehow deserve to be poor. You start believing that you’re poor because you’re stupid and ugly. And then you start believing that you’re stupid and ugly because you’re Indian. And because you’re Indian you start believing that you’re destined to be poor. It’s an ugly circle and there’s nothing you can do about it. Poverty doesn’t give you strength or teach you lessons about perseverance. No, poverty only teaches you how to be poor.”

What is your reaction to Junior's words above? How is reading Junior’s story giving you a different perspective on poverty in general or poverty on reservations in particular?

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bilyk | 12 comments I think he is right about "poverty only teaches you how to be poor". The poor are stuck in a survival mode trying to meet basic needs and don't have the luxury to "learn lessons".

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait I agree. I think the book has some pretty good examples of generational poverty on the reservation, and how the 'ugly circle' Junior talks about encompasses not just individuals, but all the families on the reservation (including the example of the textbook that starts the whole thing off).