.. discussion

The Circle
This topic is about The Circle
Dave Eggers > Privacy is Theft

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lex (new) - added it

Lex (likeliterallyliterary) | 194 comments Mod
How would you feel working for a company that, basically, requires employees to be connected 24/7?

In the book Mae encounters many different obstacles and is spoken to a numerous of time because she's not sharing enough (checking in, commenting, attending events, sharing enough information online, etc.). There's a scene where Josiah and Denise are pushing groups, threads and events onto Mae to interact more with the company and while speaking to her they connivence her that it's selfish not to share her interests and personal problems. From that conversation Mae starts connecting and working during off hours and starts staying on campus overnight.

While I was reading this scene I felt overwhelmed. I can't imagine having to share all of my personal information and have online discussion constantly instead of allowing the moment to happen and living in the now. It's the whole if you don't post it online did it actually happen? Mercer, Mae's ex-boyfriend, has a point. He says something on the lines to the way The Circlers interact is middle grade and it's dominating., I'd say, The Circle is brainwashing people to accepting it and profiting from it and it's spreading worldwide.

“Listen, twenty years ago, it wasn’t so cool to have a calculator watch, right? And spending all day inside playing with your calculator watch sent a clear message that you weren’t doing so well socially. And judgments like ‘like’ and ‘dislike’ and ‘smiles’ and ‘frowns’ were limited to junior high. Someone would write a note and it would say, ‘Do you like unicorns and stickers?’ and you’d say, ‘Yeah, I like unicorns and stickers! Smile!’ That kind of thing. But now it’s not just junior high kids who do it, it’s everyone, and it seems to me sometimes I’ve entered some inverted zone, some mirror world where the dorkiest shit in the world is completely dominant. The world has dorkified itself.”

How would you feel about living in a world that thrives on staying connected 24/7 and allows no privacy?

Roxanne | 75 comments I couldn't do it, I recently finished Black Mirror which I think hits the points that the Circle tries to make. It scared me and worried me.