All About Books discussion

The Monday Poem > 'Monday Poem' - Nursery BY KIKI PETROSINO (Monday 22nd May 2017)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alannah (last edited May 22, 2017 06:44AM) (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11958 comments Mod
Nursery
BY KIKI PETROSINO

We opened the door to the fairy house
& took our tea on matching pebble seats.
Somehow we got out of there alive

though something crystalline of us
remains in that dark, growing its facets.
We opened the door to the fairy house

at the oak’s black ankle. You asked
What could happen? as you disappeared
somehow. We got out of there alive

the strange tea still warm in our bellies.
Inside, our hosts gave damn few answers.
Who built that door? Is this a fairy house?

They had no faces yet. We spoke
into their quince-bud ears. You wept.
Somehow we got out of there alive

though we didn’t quite return. Our life
is different now we’ve drunk the tea.
They’re alive somehow. I got us out.
Why did you open the door to the fairy house?

message 3: by Alannah (new)

Sorry, this is posted a bit later, I've noticed that since I have posted a few poems lately that I always seem to go for ones I either know really well or have studied throughout university. So today, I wanted to shake things up and go for a poet that was brand new to me and this poem just jumped right out at me. Maybe it's because of the strong fairy, mythological theme that jumps right out at you.

message 4: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Thanks, Alannah. I really like the idea of there being a fairy house with a door to open. But I'm not clear whether it's a good or bad idea to go into the house. The poem seems to suggest that if you go into the house you leave part of yourself there, and come out a bit changed. Do you think that is something to do with gaining knowledge? Or what?

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments First read, I thought, 'I don't understand this one' but on second reading, I think this is about growing up. Opening the door is the first step to losing innocence...

message 6: by Joan (last edited May 22, 2017 06:40PM) (new)

Joan Intriguing!
What do you make of the shift from "We opened the door" at the beginning to "Why did you open the door at the end"?
Does it seem to move from partnership to accusation to you?
The italics are mine.

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Joan, I thought that too.

message 8: by Alannah (new)

I thought this was an interesting poem, when I first it, the idea of the fairies initially drew me in because I remember a time when myself and a couple of friends were obsessed with mythological creatures. The poem made me think back to this time in my childhood, and I like your point Joan, about the shift from the beginning to the accusatory tone in the last line. In my mind, the writer is saying to the reader, Why did you grow up? Why did you forget this about your childhood?

message 9: by Joan (last edited May 24, 2017 07:34AM) (new)

Joan WARNING! My reading of it is very dark.
This poem struck me deeply and set my mind whirling. It seems to be a lament to a friend who is slipping away.

The lines that stuck out for me:
"You said what could happen"
"we drank the strange tea"
"we got out" "but somehow changed"
"you wept"
"Why did you..."

WARNING! My reading of it is very dark.

I imagined the narrator talking to a close friend with whom she had experimented with drugs and who is battling addiction.
I guess the opioid crisis in my community affected my reading - I'm not usually this depressing.

message 10: by Alannah (new)

Joan wrote: "WARNING! My reading of it is very dark.
This poem struck me deeply and set my mind whirling. It seems to be a lament to a friend who is slipping away.

The lines that stuck out for me:
"You said wh..."

When I went back and read the poem again, your reading of this poem seems very clear to me now as well. I went back to the website and noticed that it had been categorised under 'life choices' so it could very well be what the poet is trying to convey here.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Superb choice, Alannah, and excellent discussion everyone. I like a poem you can interpret in different ways.

message 12: by Joan (last edited May 24, 2017 01:29PM) (new)

Joan Alannah, today is a sunnier day and your conception of happy childhood friends with a fairy playhouse growing-up seems more apt.*

As Terry said one of the beauties of poetry is the space for interpretation.

And I thank the Monday Poem group for helping me understand more interpretations.

*is apter a word?

message 13: by Alannah (new)

I agree with Joan, and I think my poetry reading has improved since I've started taking part in the Monday Poem