Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

General SF&F Chat > Do you like big-picture endings?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jevon (new)

Jevon Knights (jevonknights) | 55 comments I'm coming across a lot of trilogies with what I've started calling "big-picture" endings where the protagonist that we've seen development and been rooting for dies at the end, but their sacrifice saves the world or prevents humanities destruction or something like that.

The stories are good, but I feel a little bitter to see them die after all the struggling and surviving.

How do you feel about these big-picture endings?

message 2: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I love it. I think the stakes have to be high for me to take things seriously and a big heroic sacrifice at the end is awesome.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2523 comments While I don't want it to be a trend to consistently kill the main characters off, it keeps the viewer on their toes when it happens from time to time. Otherwise, no matter the dangers the protagonist goes through you know they will come out ok and so there's no real suspense.

The opposite, say from TV the Once Upon a Time series, even if someone dies they keep bringing them back for a "Happy Ever After" or at least something close to it, with few exceptions. So now when a character dies I just shrug and expect them to show up in a couple months when he/she is convenient for the storyline again.

message 4: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) And that is exactly why I stopped watching that show.

Maybe the MC does not have to die but being very scarred inside like Frodo is also in my alley. I love bittersweet ending too.

message 5: by Angel (new)

Angel | 7 comments I think everyone's expendable in a story, especially the MC. I like realistic endings, bittersweet ones are the best. I like my characters to be flawed, compelling multi-faceted. Perfect endings are a big turn off for me as well as perfect characters I can't connect with them.

message 6: by Roger (new)

Roger I'm of the same mind as Andrea, I don't like the main character to be killed but occasionally is good so that you can't always expect the good guy to win. Again like Andrea, if they die they should stay dead, it's why I can't get into comics at all because no one is ever actually dead. Not going to lie though, I'm someone that really likes happy endings.

message 7: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 100 comments I don't have a problem with it if it feels like an organic part of the story and not that the author decided to do it for shock value.

message 8: by Roger (new)

Roger Lynne wrote: "I don't have a problem with it if it feels like an organic part of the story and not that the author decided to do it for shock value."

Agreed

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited May 23, 2017 08:42AM) (new)

I've always disliked redshirt syndrome, where minor characters are killed off and no-one cares, but if a main character hurts his thumb it's a major tragedy. (I exaggerate, but only slightly.) There is no division between main characters and redshirts in real life, so why have it in fiction? Yes, let's have main characters dying if that's the right thing for the story. It's more adult and realistic.