World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Killer satellites

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13507 comments Dormant for some time, mysterious Russian space satellites sprang back to life: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetec...
Maybe we are facing an imminent invasion of aliens? Or earthly matters interfered with their slumber?
Looks like space or star wars become actually possible

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9520 comments From Russia's point of view, should war break out with the US, one of the first steps should be to take out the GPS system that the US uses for most of its air and missile warfare.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13507 comments Ian wrote: "From Russia's point of view, should war break out with the US, one of the first steps should be to take out the GPS system that the US uses for most of its air and missile warfare."

I take it you give alien invasion a lower probability -:)

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9520 comments I think we are in far greater danger from ourselves than from aliens.

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13507 comments Being skeptical about aliens and drones (some of us), can we, god forbid, witness satellites exterminating each other and targets below?

message 6: by Michel (last edited Aug 06, 2018 12:02PM) (new)

Michel Poulin That was once considered under President Reagan as part of the Strategic Defense Initiative (or SDI), but that went nowhere, mostly because of budgetary reasons (it would have cost a true fortune). Also, it would have cause a similar program by the Soviets, who were about as advanced in space technology as the USA, thus would be able to retaliate in kind.

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13507 comments It was fun to look up retro SDI related stuff: https://www.nytimes.com/1986/03/06/op... (seemingly a NY 1986 archive)
Back then some ascribed to fears of SDI an impact on how things developed in the USSR

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9520 comments I would think it is easier to take out satellites from Earth than from another satellite. However, I heard that Trump seems to think the US needs a "Space Force". Who knows what he thinks that would do?

message 9: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Trump spoke without thinking first, as usual, that's all! I am sure that he didn't even mention that idea to his own military advisors and commanders before opening his mouth. So, speculating about such a 'Space Force' would mostly be wasted time. The US Air Force already has an Aerospace Command that takes care of things like space satellite launches and long range missiles launch. As for taking out satellites from the ground, it is already feasible, using high power lasers. The mere idea of a US Space Force is by itself a bitter joke right now, as the USA still have to use Russian rockets to bring American astronauts up to the International Space Station and then bring them back down. It will still take a couple of years at the least before American astronauts can ride into orbit in an American rocket (and a commercial one at that, not a NASA rocket).