Our Shared Shelf discussion

Intersectional Feminism > an article i'd like to share

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel Hart | 13 comments my younger cousin wrote this article. so i thought i might share it
http://www.villainesse.com/girl-power...

message 2: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments fascinating article. Highlights one if the patriarch, all oppressor's really, favored tactics; Divide to conquer.

Women perceived to be nurturing except with there dealings with each other. At least in mainstream western culture.

message 3: by Britt (new)

Britt | 123 comments I'm not too convinced by this article - the topic is interesting, but it doesn't really have any depth to it. I would love to read more about it, because it's definitely true that society paints this picture of women being very competitive when it comes to the women around them and I agree that supporting each other would be much better!

However, I'm not really convinced that this "trend" is caused by the media - I think it's something women somehow do and that the media characterise this. Again, the article lacks in-depth research, so it would be interesting to get more out of this topic.

Thanks for sharing! :)

message 4: by Winston (last edited May 22, 2017 06:54AM) (new)

Winston | 180 comments Yeah it was an interesting view point and I like the conclusion of being more supportive collectively. I don't know if I agree that competition is unhealthy, I like competing in things. I think competitive moments can also drive the most camaraderie between teams/fans/etc.

While the article is reasonably well written, there is a big divide that I think is causing less comprehension. There are two almost distinct questions that the article addresses, and I think both 1)each is a difficult enough question to warrant it's own article and 2) they only partially related. I think these two issues cause the article to impact less coherently and therefore is less persuasive.

These examples beg a question: why, when oppression is still such a serious problem, are competitive female relationships such a common thread in media?

These competitive, gendered stereotypes are based on our understanding of the social construct around the “typical” roles of men and women. What happens when people don’t fit into such restrictive boxes?

I would consider expanding the first argument (maybe define in comparison? Or talk about a time when female competitive was the MO and how that helped/hurt/was perceived negatively) and leave the second to only a question for the reader to consider (or remove it all together.)

message 5: by Georgios (new)

Georgios Ross wrote: "fascinating article. Highlights one if the patriarch, all oppressor's really, favored tactics; Divide to conquer."

lol

message 6: by Britt (last edited May 31, 2017 05:07AM) (new)

Britt | 123 comments In this thread, Katrina posted a link to this article, which talks about the tension between women who wo don't have children and those who do. It features a link to another article: Why Women Compete With Each Other.

I found this very interesting, especially since I think every woman has gone and will go through the different phases the author describes. It definitely also supports my argument that this competitiveness is not something that the media "impose" on us.

However, there's a sentence that particularly caught my attention: "When our value is tied to the people who can impregnate us, we turn on each other."

I would be interested to see if this high level of competitiveness is the same between lesbian/bisexual women, or if it is really rather linked to how we think we are perceived by men? And then what about transgender women (is that the term to use? I don't want to offend anyone, but I think transgender women identify as women, right?)?

This topic has really got me thinking and I would love to read more about it, so if anyone has anymore articles, please post them!