2021 Reading Challenge discussion

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood, #1)
ARCHIVE 2017 > The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: Chapter 19-24

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4523 comments This is the discussion thread for The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares Chapter 19-24

message 2: by D.L. (last edited Jun 07, 2017 06:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 643 comments Finished the book. It was a bittersweet ending I think. I am going to read book 2 soon and watch the movies to see how they compare. In a way I hated Eric and Bee slept together. In another, I can see them like he said, years down the line, running into each other and getting back together.

Bailey and Mimi's deaths broke me.

Carma's call to her dad where she let him have it, broke and healed me.

Good book.

D.L. | 643 comments P.S. I never picked up this book thinking it would make me cry. color me shocked!

message 4: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

SarahKat | 2609 comments One of my favorite things about the end was seeing how many people Bailey touched. Even though she was not a main character, she was loved by everyone who met her.

I thought the book was much better than I expected. I did not really care for Lena's story. It seemed a little over-dramatized for what actually happened. "Oh no I just realized I'm in love with a guy I've only spoken to like 3 times!" Then again, she is 15 so....

It was a very good coming-of-age story. I might actually read the next book eventually.

D.L. | 643 comments SarahKat wrote: "One of my favorite things about the end was seeing how many people Bailey touched. Even though she was not a main character, she was loved by everyone who met her.

I thought the book was much bet..."

I agree about Lena's story. It was the weak link in the book, I think. The big scene where she bumbles her way through trying to tell Kostos she loved him really fell flat for me. They could have left out Lena's character and the book would have been fine lol

You're so right about Bailey too. She really made a big impact on everyone, including me.

Elle | 19 comments If you guys loved Bailey please read the second book. Tibby does the sweetest thing even though her new friends don't support it!

D.L. | 643 comments Elle wrote: "If you guys loved Bailey please read the second book. Tibby does the sweetest thing even though her new friends don't support it!"

I am definitely planning to read Book 2. It's already sitting at my library on the hold shelf waiting to be picked up lol

D.L. | 643 comments I just watched the first movie. In *some* ways (dare I say it?!) it was better than the book. I was surprised. But the movie actually fleshed out Lena and her romance with Kostos. It was much more believable how it was done and I even found myself rooting for them. You should see the movie too; I'd love to know what everyone thinks of it, versus the book!

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1152 comments Just a question for anyone who has finished, or is close to it...

For anyone who hasn't said yet (or anyone who has and wants to reiterate, :D), who was your favorite character in this book & why?

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1152 comments Daph wrote: "Finished the book. It was a bittersweet ending I think. I am going to read book 2 soon and watch the movies to see how they compare. In a way I hated Eric and Bee slept together. In another, I can ..."

Mimi & Bailey's deaths were so horrible! I admit I teared up for sure. One thing that really broke my heart was when Bailey's mom called & Tibby told her that she knew what happened & the mom didn't have to say it out loud. :'(

Something about that just really got me. It reminded me of when my kitty, Sly, passed away a few years ago -- he hadn't been doing well & we assumed it was nearing the end. My mom woke me up one afternoon & just looked sad. I knew what had happened & just said, "Sly?" & she nodded without saying a word. I remember thinking that I didn't want her to have to say it aloud because I knew how upset she was (plus I kind of didn't really want to hear the words). :( So yeah, that scene with Tibby really made me think of this.

Carmen's call to her dad was sooo the right & mature thing to do. She let him have it, sure, but not in a mean way. She just told him how she felt & that the way he acted hadn't been right. I'm so glad she finally did that! And then that she decided to go ahead & go to the wedding. :)

I wasn't pleased with Bridget & Eric sleeping together either. It just kind of weirded me out that this college-aged guy was sleeping with this incredibly inexperienced, naive 15-year-old girl. But then I *really* felt badly for her when she realized that sleeping with him had just been too soon for her. :(

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1152 comments SarahKat wrote: "One of my favorite things about the end was seeing how many people Bailey touched. Even though she was not a main character, she was loved by everyone who met her.

I thought the book was much bet..."

I agree about Lena's storyline. I liked her character, but I wish she had had a better storyline. All of the drama over something that didn't even happen just didn't really do it for me.

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1152 comments Daph wrote: "I just watched the first movie. In *some* ways (dare I say it?!) it was better than the book. I was surprised. But the movie actually fleshed out Lena and her romance with Kostos. It was much more ..."

I had watched the movie years ago but had forgotten a lot of it. I rewatched it a few nights ago after finishing the book, and I really enjoyed it all over again. :D

I liked Lena's storyline a LOT better in the movie (plus, I like Alexis Bledel :D). Same general concept with "falling-for-the-boy" but without all the drama. One thing I didn't like was that they left Effie out of the movie. I think it would've been nice to see that interaction with her & Lena.

As far as the movies go, I actually prefer the 2nd movie over the 1st (Bridget definitely has a *much* better storyline in the 2nd). I'm not sure how it lines up with the 2nd book, though. I guess I'll find out next month! :D