Mental Health Bookclub discussion

MHB Reading Challenge 2017/18 > Challenge Inspiration

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (last edited May 22, 2017 12:39AM) (new)

Martha (marthais) Last year I did individual threads for each task, but to be honest that took FOREVER and not many people used them!

So this will be a general inspiration thread. I'll post one or two ideas for prompts where needed, but otherwise please do jump in for any task and give some suggestions and tell us what you read and what you thought of it.

You don't have to post in any particular order, so don't worry if the person before you posted about task 10 and you wanted to say something about task 25, just get stuck in!

The only task which is excluded from this thread is 14. Ask an MHB member to choose a book from your shelf as there is a separate thread for this

message 2: by Martha (last edited May 22, 2017 12:54AM) (new)

Martha (marthais) Tasks 3 & 4: Books About Mental Health
Why not try out bookshelf or visit the Reviews Directory to find reviews from other members?

Tasks 5 & 6: Small/Large books
- Last year's thread on small books
- Big Fat Books Worth the Effort

Tasks 7 & 8: Stealing from last year's challenge
- Last year's prompts

Tasks 9 & 10: Historical / Contemporary Fiction
- Last year's thread on historical fiction
- Contemporary fiction is a lot looser, I'm sure you can find something for this!

Tasks 11 & 12: Author's debut / recent work
- Last year's thread on debut novels
- Again, much broader question! You can look at books that have been published recently, or just look by author to find our what they last published

Task 13: MHB Group Reads
- As we don't tend to get amazing participation for these (at least not in the discussion threads), I'm going to say just read any book that has been on the Group Read list. If you could read it while we're reading it, that would be great, but if not, don't worry! This goes for any of our group reads since I took over as mod (May 2016). You can find them on the bookshelf

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Tasks 15 & 16: Author gender / race
- Last year's thread on female authors
- Last year's thread on authors or colour
- Male and white authors tends to be disproportionately represented in publishing, so unsurprisingly there weren't any decent lists for this on Listopia!

Tasks 17, 18 & 22-26: All geographic tasks
- Last year's thread on books by continent

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Tasks 31 & 32: Publication date
- Popular releases in 2017 (should update as we go through the year)
- Best Books of the 1990s - at the top of this list is a link to all the other previous decades

Task 35: Series book
- Last year's thread on series with four or more books
- Best Series

Tasks 39 & 40: Main character age
- Last year's thread on YA novels - not all main characters in these will be 16 or under, so please CHECK
- Protagonists Over 60

message 5: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Task 41: Book to movie
- Last year's thread on books made into movies

Task 44: Translated
- Last year's thread on translated books. To be clear, it absolutely does not have to be a book that was translated into English - it could be translated from any language into any other language

Task 45: Award-winning
- Last year's thread on award-winning novels

Tasks 47 & 48: Goodreads ratings
If you're not sure how to do this, go to your TBR shelf. Select 'Settings' at the top (next to the 'search your books' box). Tick the 'num ratings' box, and a new column should appear next to all of your TBR books with their number of ratings. You can then sort by this column by clicking on the column header.

Tasks 49 & 50: Title/Author A-Z
As above, you can just click on the title header to sort by A-Z. You can also do this with the author column, but it will only sort by surname, whereas I will also accept author first names for this prompt.

message 6: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) I think that's all the help I can provide - please use this thread for questions or just to tell us what you're reading for any of the prompts!

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison I have a question... is this an active challenge? I would love to do a challenge like the one I saw for last year - it looked brilliant! I really am looking for someone to connect with through reading and mutual love of this subject.

message 8: by Di (new)

Di | 331 comments Mod
Ill upload new challenge soon! Wait a few days more, im currently on a trip and dont want to work 😀 ill definitely post it for 15th of june