2021 Reading Challenge discussion

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood, #1)
ARCHIVE 2017 > The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: Chapter 1-6

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4523 comments This is the discussion thread for The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares Chapter 1-6

D.L. | 643 comments I am enjoying this book so far. Tibby is a bit of a snot but I get it would suck to be stuck home all summer with two smelly babies (her siblings) for company and a boss like Duncan lol

I feel bad for Carmen. Her dad failed big time when he didn't tell her he was getting married before she came. What a bombshell to drop on someone so suddenly. I hope he explains why he didn't tell her what was going on, in future chapters.

Bridget and Eric will be a thing I am sure though she's 15 and he's 19 so if they do it, that's statutory rape which is ick.

Lena knows she's gorgeous and doesn't trust boys because of it, it seems. I like her sister Effie better than her. She has a fun personality.

I will definitely keep reading. I want to see the first movie when I'm done to compare it to the book.

D.L. | 643 comments I looked up the casting for the movie. Tibby, Carmen and Bridget are especially well cast.

message 4: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

SarahKat | 2610 comments Daph wrote: "I am enjoying this book so far. Tibby is a bit of a snot but I get it would suck to be stuck home all summer with two smelly babies (her siblings) for company and a boss like Duncan lol"

I relate to Tibby the most out of any of these girls. Perhaps because I worked at Walmart for many years. Those jobs do make you quite cynical.

Apart from that I don't really like any of the main characters, but I find myself interested in their lives. I do feel bad for Carmen. I also feel bad for Kostos because Lena was sort of a jerk, but I'm sure they'll fall in love at some point.

D.L. | 643 comments SarahKat wrote: "Daph wrote: "I am enjoying this book so far. Tibby is a bit of a snot but I get it would suck to be stuck home all summer with two smelly babies (her siblings) for company and a boss like Duncan lo..."

Yeah I feel bad for Kostos too. Lena is definitely in jerk territory. I don't really like her character at all. She's the least interesting of them all. Plus, even she knows how gorgeous she is. I am quickly warming up to Tibby in later chapters!

message 6: by Eirelyn (last edited Jun 06, 2017 12:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1152 comments I finally started reading! :D

Daph, I feel so bad for Carmen too -- I can't believe her dad didn't tell her about his new family! I can understand him wanting to mention the engagement in person, perhaps, but Carmen didn't even know about these people AT ALL! Why hadn't he said anything to Carmen when he & Lydia first got together?!

I agree about Tibby -- I really liked seeing her set aside her snark & sarcasm in favor of genuine concern & compassion for that little girl. :)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1152 comments SarahKat, Lena was definitely bordering jerk territory with Kostos. However, I can understand that, considering her (bad) past experiences with guys & the fact that her grandmother immediately tried to match her up with a guy she'd never even met. But! Kostos hasn't done anything wrong at this point, so it's not really fair of her to take all that out on him. So hopefully she'll lighten up with him soon. :)

Elle | 19 comments I guess I somewhat ruined it for myself when I have watched the movie before I even knew about the book, but this is proof that books are WAAAAAY better than the movie.
Lena is definitely the introvert type and I totally understand that (me being one myself) but she was being kind of a jerk, I mean I know she didn't like him, but that doesn't give you the right to be mean. JUST SAYING GUYS, WATCH FOR A SUPRISE WHEN YOU READ THE SECOND BOOK!!!
I really like how outgoing Bridget is, I don't exactly support her oncoming relationship, but they don't really fall through with it so...
Carmen is very moody especially toward her new step-siblings (they become close in the next book though) but I totally understand it. I mean her dad didn't tell her he was getting a new family and it totally ruined the summer they were meant to have together.

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments So far I like it. It definitely reminds me of the movie (which I've seen far more recently than reading the book), but is still different enough. I'm not sure which character I like the most, but so far I can't say that I dislike anyone.

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 91 comments I can't say that I really like this book yet. I do like some YA, but this one hasn't really grabbed my interest yet. Not saying it isn't well-written or that it doesn't have a good story line or anything like that. I am going to read the whole book and I may end up liking it, but hard to say at this point.

So far into this, I can say that I kind of feel for Carmen. Going to visit her father and find out he has another family and did not prepare her for it, is kind of heartbreaking. My ex-husband left when our daughter was three years old. That was in '94. It was fine at first until he starting seeing someone else. When he did start dating the woman he is now married to, she got left behind. He got a whole new family who did not want anything to do with her and nor did he. We ended up moving clear across the continent a week before her eighth birthday in '00. She was heartbroken when she found out her father did not want her anymore. Now, I haven't gotten much further in the book to know how this plays out, but knowing what happened in our lives, I can feel Carmen's disappointment in thinking she is going to have some quality father - daughter time and then to have a shock like that. She feels like her father is lying to her and she now has to share him with a new family and she doesn't know where she will fit into all of this.

I think I may be reading more into this because of our situation, but basically, these are my thoughts up to this point in the reading.

message 11: by Eirelyn (last edited Jun 11, 2017 11:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1152 comments Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ wrote: "I can't say that I really like this book yet. I do like some YA, but this one hasn't really grabbed my interest yet. Not saying it isn't well-written or that it doesn't have a good story line or an..."

How awful! :( I can definitely understand your viewpoint on this situation with Carmen because of what happened with your daughter. :( I've seen the movie, but I don't remember a lot of Carmen's storyline from it (it's been *years* since I watched), so I'm not sure what to expect for the rest of the book either. I feel so badly for her. I mean, I can see a part of her trying to be nice to them & get along, but what a shock! I just feel like her father neglecting to give her a heads-up about any of this is so irresponsible. I have to try to convince myself that he kept wanting to tell her but it was difficult & the longer he waited, the harder it became until he just decided it was best to do it in person. This is the only way that I can like his character at all. I mean, he does seem sympathetic about it & like he can tell Carmen is upset. So I don't think he was just being thoughtless about the whole thing. I hope not anyway.