The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Book recommendations

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jerin (new)

Jerin Can someone suggest an author who writes similar to that Agatha Christie, with lots of twists and turns?I also like books like Pretty​ Little Liars.

message 2: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments if you would like something from the same time then there is really only Dorothy L. Sayers. If you would like something more modern then I can recommend Ian Rankin or Yrsa Sigurdardottir. I enjoy them all.

message 3: by Jerin (new)

Jerin Thank you

message 4: by Jerin (new)

Jerin Is Dorothy Lindsey Sayers upto the standard of Agatha Christie?

message 5: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Jerin wrote: "Is Dorothy Lindsey Sayers upto the standard of Agatha Christie?"

Yes I think so and many others do as well.

message 6: by Jerin (new)

Jerin thanks

message 7: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbess) | 37 comments Jerin asked:
Is Dorothy Lindsey Sayers upto the standard of Agatha Christie?

um, yu're talking re. Dorothy L. Sayers of Lord Peter Wimsey fame, right? Then two things:
1. Middle Name = Leigh
2. She's an even better overall writer than Christie! Not as prolific and, within the MYSTERY field, not as diverse in her styles or creativity, but has a series of beautifully written, word-careful, elegant mysteries, plus was fine religious scholar as well after mystery writer career.

Her major drawback was imo that her mysteries were ONLY Lord Peter stories, so if that character doesn't interest or amuse you then her mysteries will not appeal despite the strong plots and fine writing/construction. And the stories really ought to be read as close to sequentially as possible, especially the ones that include Harriet Vane character - the progress of their relationship is integral to enjoyment of the series.

Full Disclosure: I am one of those entirely enamoured of Lord Peter the character, always have been! YMMV

message 8: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbess) | 37 comments Abbey wrote: "Jerin asked:
Is Dorothy Lindsey Sayers upto the standard of Agatha Christie?

whoops. Mixed up something in prev. post, need coffee...

Sayers only wrote NOVELS re. Peter, but also some short stories that don't feature him, including several with a nice guy named Montague Egg. She was a magnificent anthologist too as well, particularly three volumes entitled OMNIBUS OF CRIME in the early 1930s. ok. am done! (grin)

message 9: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbess) | 37 comments Jerin wrote: "Can someone suggest an author who writes similar to that Agatha Christie, with lots of twists and turns?I also like books like Pretty​ Little Liars."

check out my bookshelf MYST-FEMS-PROJECT, have been attempting for many years to read my way sequentially by year thru Christie books and a BIG bunch of female writers who, in *my* opinon (grin) wrote similarly to her around the same time. Has almost 2,000 books on that shelf as yet (found, not necessarily read!) many with reviews.

You should be able to sort the shelves by author, or date published, or if review, etc.

i wrote a previous answer to your ? re Sayers, think it got deleted by me accidentally. essentially, said she's great mystery writer but series Lord Peter Wimsey won't appeal to you if you find you aren't charmed by that character - many modern readers aren't. Yes the writing is superb, plots very twisted and entertaining, but his character is so very central to the stories that it won't matter to you after a while that the writing is gorgeous. BTW, I adore Lord Peter, but YMMV.

And personally I prefer Ngaio Marsh, but compared to Christie she's a mite boring, not twisty and sneaky, kwim? Writing is better, tho, plots as good but straight forward fair play, psychological insights far, far better.

Jerin: Christie wrote a lot of different types of stories, used very different detectives, which ones do you prefer?

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ervin | 27 comments Christie and Sayers is like comparing apples and oranges. I love both, but cannot tell which I prefer. It depends on my mood and the time of year.

message 11: by Jerin (new)

Jerin I asked the question because I think Agatha Christie knew how her readers would think. So she had to make twiats

message 12: by Jerin (new)

Jerin Thanks everyone.I am definitely going to read the works of Dorothy L Sayers.

message 13: by Jerin (new)

Jerin Abbey: I like Tommy and Tuppence the most. They are wonderful duo.

message 14: by Alan (new)

Alan | 148 comments I prefer Christie to Sayers--especially Christie's Miss Marple.

message 15: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbess) | 37 comments Hi Jerrin
if you enjoy T&T (so do I!) and the couple thing then try Frances Lockridge MR&MRS NORTH series which isn't quite as frantically 1920s cute but the relationship dynamic between the couple is similar plus the plots are nicely twisty. First one is THE NORTHS MEET MURDER, ~1940.

if what you like is the fluffy spy-ish thing (me too, sometimes) have you read Christie's MAN IN THE BROWN SUIT? one of my faves, and imo even better than T&T - the heroine is Christie's best. and if you like/liked that one, have you read Elizabeth Peters' CROCODILE ON THE SANDBANK, 1975? First Amelia story, but is historical, Victorian-to-Edwardian, funny, frantic, totally implausible but incredibly twisty and fun, and has a wonderful couple in Amelia and Radcliffe too. Similar tone to Christie's SECRET ADVERSARY.

Plus am certain that Peters had BROWN SUIT in mind when she wrote CROCODILE, and she heavily channels MURDER IN MESOPOTAMIA by Christie in her #2 Amelia, think it's CURSE OF THE PHARAOH.

message 16: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbess) | 37 comments Jerrin
have you read SECRET OF CHIMNEYS or THE SEVEN DIALS, both Christie, mid-1920s as was PARTNERS IN CRIME? Bundle Brent and Bill Eversleigh are almost T&T but upper class, and almost all the sleuthing takes place amongst the important, rich, and famous folks in big manor houses. Fluffy, spyish, fantastical, very similar to the T&T stories.

message 17: by Binny (new)

Binny Bose | 3 comments Hi Jerin

If you are looking for a thriller which hooks you then would suggest Dreams Implant by Partho Bose

message 18: by Robert (new)

Robert Bo | 1 comments Hey

Dreams Implant is a good choice for a gripping thriller. The mystery holds you till the very end

message 19: by Kathy (last edited Jul 23, 2017 06:12AM) (new)

Kathy (ksales) | 61 comments Just finished Before the Fall by Noah Hawley, which was wonderful. I can see why it is such a critical success. Highly recommended.

Obuliraj Dinakaran Arthanari Chettiar Sreerangan | 1 comments Hi All,
This is a wonderful place to discuss my interest.
I am kind of lost on the books and authors on stand now..
I am looking for some kind of recommendation from you all.
I have read all the works of James Hadley Chase & Sidney Sheldon.
I am looking for books / authors in that line. Can somebody help me out ?

-Dinakaran.AS

message 21: by Gloria (new)

Gloria | 1 comments I’m excited to learn about new authors I haven’t heard about or read. Here are my favorite authors and I’m looking to get recommendations from like minded readers:

Louise Penny
Nelson Demille
Daniel Silva
Steve martini
Harlan Coben
Robert Galbraith
John Sanford
John Lescroart
Elizabeth George
Richard North Patterson
Vince Flynn
Ken Follett
Lee Child
David Baldacci
Scott Turow

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahjh26) | 2 comments I haven't read him yet but Brad Thor is another author similar to the ones you already listed.

message 23: by Nance (new)

Nance (carousel1231) | 17 comments Gloria wrote: "I’m excited to learn about new authors I haven’t heard about or read. Here are my favorite authors and I’m looking to get recommendations from like minded readers:

Louise Penny
Nelson Demille
Dani..."

I like your list. I would probably add Tess Gerritsen and perhaps Karin Slaughter.

message 24: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterdonnelly) | 333 comments Nance wrote: "Gloria wrote: "I’m excited to learn about new authors I haven’t heard about or read. Here are my favorite authors and I’m looking to get recommendations from like minded readers:

Louise Penny
Nels..."

I agree Nance and the other big authors in this space include:
Jeffery Deaver
Michael Connelly
Jo Nesbo
James Patterson
Val McDermid

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (ksales) | 61 comments Michael Connelly, Val McDermid, and Jo Nesbo are hard to beat.

message 26: by Merissa (new)

Merissa Racine A couple of my favorites are Deborah Crombie and CJ Lyons, CJ Box.
There's a new author, Liz Roadifer, This Time Justice and she has a sequel coming out,

message 27: by Kat (new)

Kat | 3 comments I have not long finished The Mother of all Things by Gabriel Blake. It's suspenseful, dark and disturbing, well it was for me. I bought it after a recommendation. Good characters and if you like a twist, this is a good one. It's also very fast paced and well written.

message 28: by G.J. (new)

G.J. (buch-wurm) | 14 comments I can happily recommend this new crime novelist ! I loved this book
Sentence Of Death (Clavel and Snow Crime #1) by A.P. Martin

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sentence Of Death (other topics)