Polls for Our Souls discussion

I Need Recommendations > YA historical fiction recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annesofie (new)

annesofie (ananasofie) | 204 comments ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE. honestly, i'm not lying when i say it is the best book i have ever read. the writing is so lyrical, i once read somewhere "anthony doerr sees the world as a scientist and describes it as a poet" and that couldn't have been more accurate. the book does also not sugar coat anything about the war and you could literally feel that. it gave me so many feels boi i had to put it down like a 100 times because it is just so raw and haunting — but also so so good. anyways i'M RAMBLING PUT PLEASE READ IT.

message 2: by Cordelianne (new)

Cordelianne Salt to the Sea and The Book Thief, they both take place during the second world war and they are both really beautiful and gripping.

message 3: by Lilia (new)

Lilia | 67 comments A Madness so Discreet by Mindy McGinnis is amazing!

message 4: by Puck (new)

Puck | 14 comments I agree with Lydia on These Shallow Graves: that book is a great YA historical fiction novel. However, it's also very much a mystery-thriller book (a young woman has to find out who murdered her father), so be prepared for some dead bodies.

A bit in line with Jennifer Donnelley's book is The Butcher's Hook, although this is an Adult historical-fiction. The author does an amazing job at making 18-century London come to life, and the story is unusual but very gripping.

And of course, The Book Thief is a well-loved historical fiction novel that I can always recommend :)

message 5: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (brilliantglow) | 28 comments I would recommend looking at books by Ken Follett, Philippa Gregory, Edward Rutherfurd and there is also Frank Delaney. In the past I've read multiple books by each of these authors and will always recommend them for Historical Fiction reads.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (hersecretsmile) | 56 comments Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) by Elizabeth Wein , it's one of my favorite books of all time. It's so well written and the characters are so well done. I honestly don't know how it's as underrated as it is. Any book by Elizabeth Wein is great though.

I'll second All The Light We Can Not See as well.

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood (cassiecrow) | 160 comments Devil's Kiss It's about The Knights Templar. It's totally a work of Fiction though, but I HIGHLY recommend that you check it out. It was one of the first books that got me into really reading and I loved it.

message 9: by Noël (new)

Noël (eyreheights) | 10 comments From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon. It takes place in Italy in 1943 (World War II). I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this novel. It's one of my all time favorites! Everything about it is amazing. The writing, the characters, the plot, EVERYTHING.

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. Takes place in Russia in the 1940's (again a World War II novel). It is lengthy, but totally worth the read! Both of these titles are Adult Fiction but the main protagonists are young (around 16-19) in the span of the novels.

For YA, I would recommend the Lady Helen trilogy by Alison Goodman. This is a YA Historical, but it is also considered Paranormal/ Fantasy. But it's like walking into a Jane Austen novel, just with supernatural elements.

message 11: by Cordelianne (new)

Cordelianne Noël wrote: "From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon. It takes place in Italy in 1943 (World War II). I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this novel. It's one of my all time favorites! Everything about it is amazing. The writing..."

From sand and ash is indeed really beautiful. Did you read any other books by her and were those books just as good?

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited May 23, 2017 09:21AM) (new)

message 13: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Totally agree with the Jennifer Donnelly recommendations! A Gathering Light, These Shallow Graves and Revolution. All fantastic!

message 14: by Noël (new)

Noël (eyreheights) | 10 comments Cordelianne wrote: "Noël wrote: "From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon. It takes place in Italy in 1943 (World War II). I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this novel. It's one of my all time favorites! Everything about it is amazing..."

Yes, I've read 7 of her novels. She has 11 in total, I believe. Everything that I've read so far by Amy Harmon has been AMAZING. Her writing style is right up my ally! If you're thinking about reading the rest of her works, I highly recommend Running Barefoot, The Bird and the Sword (her fantasy novel), Making Faces, A Different Blue, or the Purgatory duology... so basically every book I've read so far!

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 102 comments I second anything by Jennifer Donnelly, Elizabeth Wein, or Ruta Septeys.

message 16: by Cordelianne (new)

Cordelianne Noël wrote: "Cordelianne wrote: "Noël wrote: "From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon. It takes place in Italy in 1943 (World War II). I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this novel. It's one of my all time favorites! Everything..."

Hahaha thanks! I wil have a look into some of the other books she wrote than :)

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 36 comments Salt to the Sea...I'm sure it's been said

Top three books ever - The Help

message 18: by Ramona (new)

Ramona (monakersch) | 26 comments Heather wrote: "Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) by Elizabeth Wein, it's one of my favorite books of all time. It's so well written and the characters are so well done. I honestly don't know how it's as underrated as it is. An..."

I agree! Codename Verity and The Book Thief are amazing!
I also liked All The Light We Cannot See..

message 19: by Louie (new)

Louie Pretty much anything by Gloria Whelan

message 20: by Nyla (new)

Nyla (nylap) | 71 comments The Green Glass Sea (Green Glass #1) by Ellen Klages The Green Glass Sea
This book is set in 1943 in Los Alamos, New Mexico, with the Manhattan Project as the backdrop. I really enjoyed it, but I'm a geek about that sort of thing. There's also a sequel.
White Sands, Red Menace (Green Glass #2) by Ellen Klages White Sands, Red Menace

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah The Diviners is excellent!

message 22: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 20 comments The Book Thief, like everyone said, but also Between Shades of Gray. I looooved that book.

message 23: by Ash (new)

Ash | 30 comments The Bird and the Sword by Amy Harmon

message 24: by Azriel (new)

Azriel (azriellathesorceressbooks) | 22 comments All of Ruta Sepetys books are great! You should definitely check out her books if you haven't.

message 25: by Samantha (WLABB) (new)

Samantha (WLABB) (samanthawlabb) | 13 comments I enjoyed Julie Berry's books, and really enjoyed Speak Easy, Speak Love

message 26: by Sabrien (new)

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 72 comments The Bloody Jack series by L.A. Meyer.
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Septys
His Fair Assassin by Robin LaFevers
And I Darken by Kierstin White

message 27: by Sabrien (new)

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 72 comments The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
Ashes by Kathryn Lasky

message 28: by Sabrien (new)

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 72 comments The Cahill Witch Chronicles by Jessica Spotswood
Dark Mirror Trilogy by MJ Putney
Fever 1793 by Laurie Halsey Andersen
The Last Magician by Lisa Maxwell

message 29: by Sabrien (new)

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 72 comments His Fair Assassin trilogy*

message 30: by Tasya (new)

Tasya Dita (giselatasya) | 37 comments The Book Thief and All the Light We Cannot See. Both books are beautifully haunting and heartbreaking.

message 31: by natalia (new)

natalia | 88 comments Stalking Jack the Ripper
Hunting Prince Dracula
The Night Circus

message 32: by Peyton (new)

Peyton B. (peyreece02) Memoirs of a Geisha is a favorite of mine and I think I might reread it.

message 33: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 58 comments My Lady Jane
The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenbooks2001) | 35 comments The Help (its so good!)

message 35: by Melliott (last edited Mar 07, 2018 07:58AM) (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 419 comments For adult historical fiction, try the books of Kate Morton. (You do have to like lots of description, she's a slow read, but they're really engrossing reads.)

The Girl You Left Behind, by JoJoMoyes

The Sebastian St. Cyr mysteries by C. S. Harris, set in Regency England

The Far Pavilions, by M. M. Kaye (history of Brits in India)

Forever Amber, by Kathleen Winsor--this is THE classic historical novel you can't not read during your lifetime! Think Gone WIth the Wind in terms of epic story, but set in Restoration England

Coming Home, by Rosamunde Pilcher—one of the best WWII stories I've ever read

The King's General, by Daphne du Maurier, during the English Civil War of the 1640s. Romantic, mysterious, tragic.

message 36: by Yvan (new)

Yvan Ysla | 2 comments I am currently reading For the Sake of All Living Things by John Del Vecchio and I'm enjoying it. It's a about the life of a Cambodian family in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Quite moving

message 37: by Sultana (new)

Sultana | 1 comments Abundance by Sena Jeter Naslund!!!!

-It's about the life of Marie Antoinette from the time she arrived in France as the fourteen year old Austrian betrothed to the Dauphin, to her death by guillotine after being found guilty of high treason during the French Revolution in 1793.

message 38: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 13 comments Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee.
P.S if you haven't read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak or Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden or Honolulu by Alan Brennert please read them first ;)

message 39: by elena ⚢ (new)

elena ⚢ (elenavhaps) | 39 comments The Cure for Dreaming by Cat Winters! It's YA historical fiction with some added fantasy elements. It's a really amazing and memorable book.

message 40: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 419 comments Walk on Earth A Stranger, by Rae Carson. First book of a trilogy about a girl who travels west to the California Gold Rush, and who has a special ability to sense/find gold. The "special" part is pretty minor, at least in the first book--it's just a good saga of the perils of the trail west.