Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > Monday Puzzler May 22, 2017

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments One of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite books!

My breath was scraping in and out, in-out, in-out, in-out. Gray spots splotched my vision, and I bent over, but no, that didn’t help, was it supposed to help? I was here all alone, no one knew where I was. My sister would come, she’d help me, she was so good at this, but shit, she was doing something for work and I couldn’t breathe, my lungs were stuck closed, I was about to die.

Sweat blossomed over me like a virus, and my hands started to shake.

I groped for my phone to call my dad, but it spilled out of my numb fingers. I reached for it, sliding off the bench, my knees stinging on the asphalt.

I was fainting. Or dying. The sound of my own breathing grew fainter.

“Heroine?”

Someone had me by the shoulders.

Hero. Good. I wouldn’t die alone. I clutched his arms. “Hehn-hehn-hehn-hehn-hehn,” I managed.

He smiled. “You’re having a panic attack, aren’t you? Okay, don’t worry. They’re not fatal.” He pulled me back onto the bench and put his arm around me. “Jane!” he yelled. “Over here. I’ll be a while.”

“Hehn-hehn-hehn-hehn.” If this Jane person answered, I didn’t hear over the sound of my terror. What was that horse movie? Where the horse ran all day and all night across the desert? Hidalgo, that was it. I sounded like Hidalgo.

“So I’m here with my sister and her bratty kids,” Hero said, as if I was a normal person and not a dying horse. His fingers were on my wrist. “The ice-cream truck comes around, so I’m using that as a bribe. The little one? She’s the devil, I swear to God. I told my sister to call the exorcist.”

“Heart...attack,” I managed.

“Probably not. Just take a deep breath and try to calm down.”

“No!” I squeaked, my throat too tight to get out normal sound. “My husband died getting me—hehn—a glass of wine! I can’t—hehn—calm down. Do something!” Because my heart was way, way too fast and pretty soon it would explode.

“Okay, okay,” he said, sliding onto his knees in front of me. “Let’s see if you can answer a few questions. Put your head down and try not to pant, that’s a good girl.” I did, feeling his hand on my shoulder. “That’s it. Nice and slow. What color panties have you got on?”

My head snapped up. “What?”

He pushed my head back down. “Answer the question. Or I could check for you if that would be easier.”

“Aren’t you supposed to ask about—hehn—the President?”

“I don’t care about the President’s underwear. What color are yours? Throw me a bone and say a red thong.”

“You’re such—hehn—a pig,” I said, staring at the grass. The gray splotches were getting smaller.

“I know, I know, red thong, such a cliché. But I’m a guy. We like visual stimulation. White lace panties, they’d be good, too, I guess. Or black. Or none, now that I think of it. Any chance you went commando this morning?”

“I can’t believe they...let you do this...for a living.” I sucked in a slow breath, held it, let it go. Did it again.

“Good point. But guess whose panic attack is dying down, huh?” He lifted my head with both his hands and smiled into my eyes. “Ta-da.”

He was right. I was still sweaty, and my heart was thudding fast, but the panting had stopped, and I didn’t see gray anymore.

“God, I’m good,” he said with a grin, sitting back on the bench with me. “FDNY, baby. We live for this shit. Now, don’t compliment me just yet. Just sit there and breathe. I’ll stay with you."

message 2: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2059 comments Mod
I have no clue at all but what a great scene.

message 3: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
Great choice, Irish! I think this is one of this author's best, and I rank most of hers highly.

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1221 comments I don't know, it kind of seems familiar. I want to know... ;-)

message 5: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1128 comments Ok I need to read this book !!
I love this scene!

message 6: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1878 comments Mod
I have a guess but haven't read it.

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments No clue, but I like this hero!

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments Lol - havent read but sounds super funny

message 9: by Irisheyes (last edited May 23, 2017 04:27PM) (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments The answer is On Second Thought by Kristan Higgins. I think it's considered more Women's Fiction than Contemporary Romance but it's pure gold and you get 2 for 1 in that her sister Ainsley's journey features a romance also - which I loved just as much as Kate's!