Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Previous BOTM Threads > June 2017 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy (last edited May 21, 2017 07:24PM) (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
It's that time of the month to nominate what space opera books we'd like to read as a group in June. Up this month we have the following categories:

READER PICK: Dead trees is where it's at for the Reader Pick, which should be widely available in both paperback and ebook at most chain bookstores and public libraries. Books can't be exclusive to Kindle Unlimited since we're a global community.

INDIE PICK: This is for those newer, edgier books where the author has to do it all. Books that have been published by a micropress that helps you upload the thing, but YOU otherwise do the work and marking are okay, or if you got your backlist back, still qualify.

YOUNG ADULT: This is for books targeted at young adults, age 13-18. They should be newer books, published since 2000, starring a person in the YA age range. I'm restarting this category because we do have some younger members and I don't want them to think we don't value them. However, I'm not very familiar with this market myself, so I need your help.

If you are an author, you may nominate your own book in any category, provided it meets the criteria for that category. But only if you're an otherwise active member of the group. Drive by spam will not be tolerated.

Drop your nomination into the thread below and, on the first of the month (or so), we'll spin it through Random.org to pick two brand new group reads.

Betsy

message 2: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

message 3: by C.T. (last edited May 21, 2017 07:35PM) (new)

C.T. Phipps Reader Pick: Deathstalker by Simon Green

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

Indy: Lucifer's Star by C.T. Phipps (me!)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Young Adult: Alexis Carew "Into the Dark" by J.A. Sutherland

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 4: by Betsy (last edited May 21, 2017 08:08PM) (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
Deathstalker does not seem to be widely available in paperback or hardback, except for a few used copies from Amazon and Barnes & Noble online. Probably not in stores. Probably not still in print. Not available from my library except in e-book and episodes of audiobook. Remember, not everybody reads e-books.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark Henwick | 2 comments Indie : Nathan Lowell Milk Run

YA (but good for older) : Into the Dark by J.A. Sutherland

message 8: by C.T. (last edited May 22, 2017 12:16AM) (new)

C.T. Phipps Betsy wrote: "Deathstalker does not seem to be widely available in paperback or hardback, except for a few used copies from Amazon and Barnes & Noble online. Probably not in stores. Probably not st..."

Oooo, my bad. Sorry! Have you done On Basilisk Station by David Weber yet? I'm still new to this really awesome list. I've wanted to expand my knowledge of Space Opera for awhile.

Mark wrote: "Indie : Nathan Lowell Milk Run

YA (but good for older) : Into the Dark by J.A. Sutherland"

Jinx!

message 9: by Chris (last edited May 22, 2017 12:37PM) (new)

Chris Wright (author_chris_g_wright) | 30 comments Indie: I'll nominate my book, The Alliance - The Evox Chronicles, again. The Alliance The Alliance (The Evox Chronicles #1) by Chris G. Wright

message 10: by Susannah (new)

Susannah Bell (moonblossom) | 5 comments Reader Pick: The War of the Worlds (can't believe I've never actually read this)

Indie Pick: The Exodus Sequence (my own book - it's a collection of novelettes)

YA: Gods and Warriors (loved her other books so keen to try this one)

message 11: by Andrzej (new)

Andrzej (vigl) All picks have to be books published in english?

message 12: by A. D. Perales (new)

A. D. Perales (adperales) | 6 comments YA - Defy the Stars by Claudia Gray. It looks interesting! I've been wanting to read it but other books get in the way. This would be a good excuse ;)

message 13: by EJ (new)

EJ Fisch (ejfisch) | 117 comments Indie: Kantovan Vault Kantovan Vault (The Spiral Wars #3) by Joel Shepherd . Pretty sure this group has read the first two books in this series already. I'm in the middle of this one at the moment and have just really enjoyed the characters.

YA: I'll second Defy the Stars Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1) by Claudia Gray . I read Claudia Gray's Lost Stars Star Wars book and enjoyed her writing, and this book sounds intriguing.

May be back later with a reader pick.

message 14: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
C.T. wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Deathstalker does not seem to be widely available in paperback or hardback, except for a few used copies from Amazon and Barnes & Noble online. Probably not in stores. P..."

Yes, we already read On Basilisk Station. But keep trying. :-)

message 15: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
Andrzej wrote: "All picks have to be books published in english?"

I think so, yes. Although our membership is international, the greatest majority read in English. Best would be books published in multiple languages, but I think that might restrict us too much.

message 16: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
Gods and Warriors does not seem to be space opera. From the blurb it looks like it's more fantasy and mythology. It ought to have at least something to do with space.

message 18: by C.T. (new)

C.T. Phipps Then I vote for On Basilisk Station by David Weber. That should be readily available for everyone. Honor Harrington is a great series.

message 19: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
C.T. wrote: "Then I vote for On Basilisk Station by David Weber. That should be readily available for everyone. Honor Harrington is a great series."

I'm sorry, I thought I messaged you; we already read this.

message 20: by C.T. (new)

C.T. Phipps Betsy wrote: "C.T. wrote: "Then I vote for On Basilisk Station by David Weber. That should be readily available for everyone. Honor Harrington is a great series."

I'm sorry, I thought I messaged you; we already..."

No, it was just me being Lister on Red Dwarf. :) Me dumb caveman in space. ook ook.

Thanks again for managing such a great group.

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) Best character ever. Except maybe the toaster.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

YA: Illuminae

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael Allen (deliriousscribbler) | 1 comments For the Indie list, Procythian Reign by T. Allen Diaz. It's the first in a series of dark space opera.

message 24: by R. (new)

R. Billing (r_billing) | 196 comments "All right," said Jane, firmly, "This time I'll nominate it. The book is called Run From The Stars and it's about me. Specifically it's the first part of the story of how I, single handed, took on the two worst criminals in the galaxy. It'll make you laugh, cry, scream in terror and fall in love. There are spaceships, energy weapons, and some jolly good restaurants. And did I mention that it's about me?"

Indie category. Run from the Stars
Run from the Stars (The Arcturian Confederation Book 1) by R. Billing

message 25: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2319 comments Mod
Reader pick: The Dragon Variation The Dragon Variation (Liaden Universe, #5-6,8) by Sharon Lee by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, because I wanted to nominate Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6) by Sharon Lee and the current paperback available that includes it is Dragon Variation.

message 26: by Christian (new)

Christian | 10 comments Neptune Crossing

READER PICK: Jeffery carver's Neptune crossing. If you are into expansive science, this is for you. This is book1 of 5 and with each book in the series, the science and scope get HUGE.

message 27: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
Teresa wrote: "Reader pick: The Dragon VariationThe Dragon Variation (Liaden Universe, #5-6,8) by Sharon Lee by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, because I wanted to nominate Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6) by Sharon Lee and the cur..."

You can nominate the single work of Scout's Progress even though the paperback is only available in the omnibus edition. I'll go ahead and enter that nomination.

message 29: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Doggett (ldwriter2) | 60 comments Haven't been here all that long

have you read The Myriad ?

That would be for Reader Pick if it hasn't been read.

message 30: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Doggett (ldwriter2) | 60 comments And for Indie Pick. Again I am not sure if this one has been read here or not

Derelict

message 31: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 42 comments Readers pick - Prador Moon , Neal Asher ?

message 32: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2 comments The Collapsing Empire - John Scalzi

message 33: by Paul (last edited May 27, 2017 02:25AM) (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 18 comments Fore readers choice, I'll nominate The Departure by Neal Asher

edit - I see I missed that an Asher book has already been nominated, so will instead go with:

Singularity Sky by the awesome Charlie Stross

message 34: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 338 comments Hmmm. Reader's Pick: Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon

message 35: by Tom (new)

Tom Julian Betsy wrote: "It's that time of the month to nominate what space opera books we'd like to read as a group in June. Up this month we have the following categories:

READER PICK: Dead trees is where it's at for th..."

I could offer my book Timberwolf to the group as a no-cost eBook. My publisher went out of business recently, so all the rights are mine now. Trying to make lemonade out of lousy lemons. Hope you guys enjoy it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 36: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
L.E. wrote: "And for Indie Pick. Again I am not sure if this one has been read here or not

Derelict"

Yes, we have read this one, in July 2015.

message 38: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
Nominations are closed. I'll be running the randomization in the next day or two.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.