Play Book Tag discussion

Sermon on the Mound: Finding God at the Heart of the Game
This topic is about Sermon on the Mound
Archive: Other Books > The Sermon on the Mound by Michael O'Conner

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jeremiah Cunningham | 714 comments The Sermon on the Mound by Michael O'Conner
1 out of 5 Stars

From this book, we gather that the author's purpose in his writing is to explain how God used baseball to reveal himself to the author and bring him to accept Christ. The author explains that the pivotal moments in the 1986 World Series between the Red Sox and the Mets were also the pivotal moments in his relationship with his fiancee as well as with his God.

While I believe the author truly expresses the things he felt in his life, I really struggled to get through this book. I debated on whether it deserved one or two stars because at times I was interested in his story, but ultimately other things prevented a higher rating.

Overwhelmingly, the worst part of this book was the author obsessive and awful use of terrible figurative language. The metaphors, similes, and other tropes were burdensome to read not only because of the amount of them but also because of how poorly they were executed. This story could have actually been somewhat intriguing if the author had hired some one to edit out all the excess. Of the 180 pages, at least 80 of them were filled with nothing more than exhausting attempts at flowery language.

Another key aspect for me in evaluating a book, beyond the writing, is how intriguing the book really is. While this book had its moments of intrigue, I was rarely left wanting to know more about the author or other person in the authors life. Overall, the people were left undeveloped. Furthermore, many interesting aspects of the story were only footnotes in the book while the author drug out needless stories that added little.

Overall, while the combination of religion and baseball was an intriguing concept for me, the book failed to deliver in any meaningful and lasting way.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6437 comments I was so excited when I saw the title. Then, I saw your rating. This really does not sound good . . .

message 3: by Karin (last edited May 23, 2017 07:21PM) (new)

Karin | 7018 comments I'll pass, even though the title is rather clever. I'm not a huge baseball fan, and it sounds like it's not nearly as good as The Closer: My Story by Mariano Rivera who spent his career working up through the teams for the NY Yankees and then for them (pitcher.) He's also Christian, but there is plenty of baseball and he didn't try to make it flowery, but basically followed his career from his discovery until he retired from professional baseball. Rivera sounded like a baseball player, IMO, although it included religion in it.