YA Book Bloggers discussion

The Genre Buddies Group > Science Fiction/Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (bookprincessreviewsblog) | 36 comments Mod
SFF Lovers, assemble!

Do you love fictional worlds? Do you love being able to escape into a wonderful crafted place filled with magic, unique worlds, and that always amazingly drawn map? Or maybe you enjoy the world outside our world - far off planets, the haunting beauty of space, or just reaching out to touch the stars for a book or two?

Then this is the discussion for you! Let's talk here about your favorite SFF reads, some of your recent SFF reads, your recommendations for those starting out or just looking for an epic one, one you want to start a buddy read with, and so much more!

message 2: by Judith (new)

Judith Moore | 7 comments Fantasy is my all time absolute favourite genre but I'm finding as I book blog I'm reading a bit more sci-fi which is pretty cool. I've just bagged Gemina from the library and I keep eyeing it (no Judith stick to the reading plan). Any fantasy recommendations very welcome!

message 3: by Nadwa (last edited Jun 10, 2017 08:39AM) (new)

Nadwa | 50 comments Mod
Judith wrote: "Fantasy is my all time absolute favourite genre but I'm finding as I book blog I'm reading a bit more sci-fi which is pretty cool. I've just bagged Gemina from the library and I keep eyeing it (no ..."
I've seen a lot of positive reviews on Gemina! Haven't read it yet but it's definitely on the top of my TBR list. I'd recommend the A Court Of Thorns And Roses series; it's actually my favorite fantasy series! A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas

message 4: by Judith (new)

Judith Moore | 7 comments Nadwa wrote: "Judith wrote: "Fantasy is my all time absolute favourite genre but I'm finding as I book blog I'm reading a bit more sci-fi which is pretty cool. I've just bagged Gemina from the library and I keep..."

I am about to start ACOWAR and I do really like the series (though it does have quite a few shortcomings) I loved illuminae it was so different so I'm so looking forward to Gemina

message 5: by Nadwa (new)

Nadwa | 50 comments Mod
Judith wrote: "Nadwa wrote: "Judith wrote: "Fantasy is my all time absolute favourite genre but I'm finding as I book blog I'm reading a bit more sci-fi which is pretty cool. I've just bagged Gemina from the libr..."
omg i thought Gemina was the first book!! lol. I haven't read either books :P Ohh that's great!! Yeah, I recently got ACOWAR but I still haven't gotten around to reading it. Have you read Throne of Glass?? It's actually pretty good.

Laura (thebookcorps) | 53 comments Mod
Judith wrote: "Fantasy is my all time absolute favourite genre but I'm finding as I book blog I'm reading a bit more sci-fi which is pretty cool. I've just bagged Gemina from the library and I keep eyeing it (no ..."

I'm sure you've read or at least know of The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. Otherwise, I highly suggest The Young Elites series by Marie Lu, Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, These Vicious Masks series by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas, and Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor.

Went a little crazy, but I hope you like them! :D

message 7: by Mandy (new)

Gemina = AMAZING. I loved it so much more than Illuminae. I wish you luck with the temptation.

Also, I super agree with Laura about These Vicious Masks. SUCH a good series.

message 8: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey (lyndleloo) | 15 comments Yay fantasy is my favourite genre too, so glad I'll have some great recs to check out :-) Definitely need to get hold of a copy of Illuminae, and I've heard good things about Marie Lu but never read any of hers. I'm currently reading Nevernight and I'm obsessed, can't wait to read Godsgrave!

message 9: by Judith (new)

Judith Moore | 7 comments Lyndsey wrote: "Yay fantasy is my favourite genre too, so glad I'll have some great recs to check out :-) Definitely need to get hold of a copy of Illuminae, and I've heard good things about Marie Lu but never rea..."

I just got the note that I didn't get approved for the ARC of Godsgrave and I am so sad! (More about the waiting than anything else!)

message 10: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey (lyndleloo) | 15 comments Judith wrote: "Lyndsey wrote: "Yay fantasy is my favourite genre too, so glad I'll have some great recs to check out :-) Definitely need to get hold of a copy of Illuminae, and I've heard good things about Marie ..."

Oh no! :-( I've never requested an ARC, I might have to try it at some point :-D

message 11: by Judith (new)

Judith Moore | 7 comments Lyndsey wrote: "Judith wrote: "Lyndsey wrote: "Yay fantasy is my favourite genre too, so glad I'll have some great recs to check out :-) Definitely need to get hold of a copy of Illuminae, and I've heard good thin..."

It's a little addictive...

message 12: by Eva (new)

Eva (brilliantlybookish) Hi! I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'd like to read Lady Midnight but I have no idea which books I should have read to be able to. Does anyone know?

message 13: by Mandy (new)

Eva wrote: "Hi! I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'd like to read Lady Midnight but I have no idea which books I should have read to be able to. Does anyone know?"

Hi Eva! I wanted to do the same thing (I have never read any of the Shadowhunters but I basically feel like I have from what my friend has told me and what I've heard from book blogs and such - I also have read the Infernal Devices series). My friend said, though, she really thought I needed to have read all of the Shadowhunter books, and even Tales of the Shadowhunter Academy because Lady Midnight does spoil one of the things that happens in there. I believe that's what my friend said, but someone else might know something better who has actually read it. :)

message 14: by Eva (new)

Eva (brilliantlybookish) Mandy wrote: "Eva wrote: "Hi! I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'd like to read Lady Midnight but I have no idea which books I should have read to be able to. Does anyone know?"

Hi Eva! I wanted t..."

Thanks for the help! Now I'm not sure what I want to do. I've read City of Bones and City of Glass, but that was over a year ago and I'm not really interested anymore...

message 15: by Mandy (new)

Eva wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Eva wrote: "Hi! I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'd like to read Lady Midnight but I have no idea which books I should have read to be able to. Does anyone know?"

Hi E..."

My friend found this website that has really intense book summaries. Maybe that might be an intriguing idea? Read a few of those and try it? XD

message 16: by Eva (new)

Eva (brilliantlybookish) Mandy wrote: "Eva wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Eva wrote: "Hi! I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'd like to read Lady Midnight but I have no idea which books I should have read to be able to. Does anyone ..."

That's a great idea! I think I'll do that :)

message 17: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey (lyndleloo) | 15 comments Mandy wrote: "Eva wrote: "Hi! I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'd like to read Lady Midnight but I have no idea which books I should have read to be able to. Does anyone know?"

Hi Eva! I wanted t..."

Oh no, Tales of the Shadowhunter Academy is the only one I haven't read (except Lord of Shadows), I can't believe I've obviously spoiled myself now :-( I can kind of remember something being mentioned in Lady Midnight but I can't remember what... hopefully I've forgotten enough to still enjoy Tales! :-)

McKenzie (Bookishthingsandtea) | 6 comments Tales of Shadowhunter Academy is actually an amazing book! It's a great addition to the Shadowhunter Chronicles, and actually adds development to certain characters, unlike the Bane Chronicles. If anyone is interested, I could write up a quick discussion on what I believe is the best order to read the Shadowhunter Chronicles since I've read every book Cassie Clare was written (except the Iron Trials with Holly Black... Not a huge HB fan)! Basically I love her books haha! :)

message 19: by Mridula (new)

Mridula Gupta (mridula_gupta) Hey
My review on No Plain Rebel- The 2nd book to the dystopian series No Ordinary Star. Its such an amazing book for the sci-fi and fantasy lovers. Check it out here :)
https://ecstaticyetchaotic.wordpress....
Spread the love of reading :)