Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > Historical fiction (119k words)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by gleb (last edited May 23, 2017 06:36AM) (new)

gleb (rimer) | 3 comments Hi, all. I've completed a historical novel at 119k words, and am working on a second (and then, hopefully, a third :P). I'd be willing to swap with an author/s in the same genre who's interested and have a piece of their own that needs reading. No qualms about length--could be 20k or 200k.

My novel's set during the Russian Civil War. Set in 1918/1918 t follows a White staff captain who arrives back in Russia from the war in Europe, only to find himself embroiled in a whole new conflict, this time against the Reds. Fair warning: as a war novel, it does have high levels of violence at times.

Any kind of critique would be good--pacing, characterisation, potential plot holes. And I'd be willing to offer any kind of critique in turn. If interested, comment here or contact me at dymchurcher@gmail.com

message 2: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (kristies2) | 1 comments Hi, I have a historical fiction novel that's published and needs reviews. Would you be willing to exchange me beta reading for your review? I'm thinking about getting into editing, so it's good practice for me to beta read. :)

My book is for young women. It has a couple of very mild sex scenes, but I'd call it rated R. Regardless, they're very short and you can skip over them if you want.

This is a sequel, but it works well on its own. It's set in 1969.

Candy is a groom at Belmont Park in New York. Her best friend, the only person she has left in this world, has been kidnapped. Distraught, she leaves NYC and hitchhikes to Washington DC. There, she meets a man who can help her get a job as a model. She takes him up on the offer and winds up living with him for a few months. The relationship is toxic, as he treats her horribly, so she leaves. Feeling down, she decides to try grooming horses again and goes to Pimlico in Baltimore. She's quick to gain employment there with an attractive and strong trainer named Demetri. She decides she likes working in this barn and she likes Demetri even more. She stays with them as they move to Miami - Haileah Park. Her relationship with Demetri blossoms and she's happier than she's ever been. However, Demetri begins to show his true self little by little and over the course of a year, he inflicts more and more abuse on her. She's trapped because he threatens to come after her if she leaves. Stay or go, she can't decide which is worse. When she finds out her friend in New York is actually alive and had escaped, she calls her. Rachel convinces her to fly back to New York and stay with them. Demetri's not happy and devises a plan to get her back.
The rest of the story is in the next novel. ;)

My email is kristie.snively@comcast.net if you'd rather talk there.
Thanks for your consideration.

Kristie

message 3: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 6 comments Hi Gleb

This is one of my fave time periods... I am also writing a hist fic. 17th century rome. It won't be ready for betas for another month but if you'd be willing to swap I could read yours now and you could read mine in a month or so. Check it out here http://www.justjkc.com/monsterofgenius and email me if your interested in a swap at jkcymansky@gmail.com

Best,
Jenna

message 4: by gleb (new)

gleb (rimer) | 3 comments Kristie wrote: "Hi, I have a historical fiction novel that's published and needs reviews. Would you be willing to exchange me beta reading for your review? I'm thinking about getting into editing, so it's good pra..."

Thanks for the interest! Emailed you.

message 5: by gleb (new)

gleb (rimer) | 3 comments Jenna wrote: "Hi Gleb

This is one of my fave time periods... I am also writing a hist fic. 17th century rome. It won't be ready for betas for another month but if you'd be willing to swap I could read yours no..."

That definitely sounds interesting. Sent you an email. I'm new to beta reading, but would be willing to give it a go!