Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Intensity
This topic is about Intensity
Stand Alone Novels 1991-1999 > INTENSITY (Mini-Group Read 2017)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 5990 comments Mod
INTENSITY, One of Dean's most truly intense novels, (ha ha) will be featured as a Mini-Group Read in the near future :-)
For reference, there are two older threads for this novel.

Welcome to Summer 2017 Discussion of INTENSITY!

Patrick Kiernan When is the group read starting

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments I think we are waiting on Mary, because she is the one who needs to start the soonest. I'll start this before The Darkest Evening of the Year

Patrick Kiernan Ah ok I'll keep an eye out for the start date

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 247 comments Intensity...let the nightmare begin.

I can put the start date anytime in June. It will be featured for one month. Everyone get your books ready :-)

I will set the start date for June 1st.

Keep in mind that The Darkest Evening of the Year is our June Group Read and Dean's newest The Silent Corner, will be released on June 20th.

Please be careful that you do not overdose on Dean Koontz.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Dustin you make me laugh. If there is anything I can overdose on it's Dean Koontz! Even with my Stephen King reading ... there's always room for Koontz.

That's good. I just know from personal experience that I have taken too much Koontz at once before. Everyone's tolerance is different & everyone needs to know their limits.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments My only concern is the timing. One of my other favorite authors has a book coming out within a week plus I am committed to at least two Stephen King books. I might take my Koontz, read a light cozy, go back to Koontz and so on. I still have to write a review of Sole Survivor and have no idea how to write it. *LOL*

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I will set the start date for June 1st.

Keep in mind that The Darkest Evening of the Year is our June Group Read and Dean's newest The Silent Corner, will be released on June 20th.

Thanks for being flexible for my dates..

Please be car..."

message 12: by Mary (last edited May 22, 2017 02:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments FYI

Intensity: A Novel
by Dean Koontz
Kindle Edition
$ 1 99

Now on amazon

message 13: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I will set the start date for June 1st.

Please be car..."

Thanks Dustin and everyone else.. I appreciate it.

message 14: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 172 comments I shall be ready for Intensity on the 1st!

message 15: by Fred (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fred (fredderoche) | 124 comments I have it listed to start June1.

I will be participating, but it will be a bit later in the month before I get to Intensity. I have Sole Survivor and The Darkest Evening of the Year lined up ahead of Intensity.

message 17: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments I think this is the thread for Intensity. I have started it and remembering it fondly. Only remembering as I go along---not the whole book. Having to laugh at the word "visitor" being used repeatedly.
Is there a dog?

Congratulations! You have found the current thread for INTENSITY :-)

message 19: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Congratulations! You have found the current thread for INTENSITY :-)"

WooHoo! My, My...Koontz comes up with some real doozies in the villain department.

Link to discussion thread specifically about Dean's Villains:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

*Discussion Thread Contains Spoilers

Intensity currently tops our Group Poll, "In which title has Dean Koontz created the best evil villain or bad guy?"

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/2...

Amy B (amydawn96) | 24 comments Can't wait to start!

Amy, have you read Intensity before?

Amy B (amydawn96) | 24 comments I have not.

message 25: by Karen B. (last edited May 28, 2017 05:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments I'm about 40% through this go-round of Intensity and finding it kind of depressing. Vess is a character though I love to hate.

message 26: by Mary (last edited Jun 03, 2017 12:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments I am reading along...I will say that this book and sleeping by yourself in a tent in the Northern California woods is a great AND terrible experience! Thank goodness for my dog warming my feet and for once not hearing something in the dark to bark at...

I thought I would remember this book in all it's lovely detail once i started --but as it is many times with a Koontz book, Intensity is proving to have surprises the second, third or fourth go round. Koontz is a master at suspense and shows no shame at letting the bodies pile up. This is one of the Koontz writing styles that I love.

message 27: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments Karen B. wrote: "I'm about 40% through this go-round of Intensity and finding it kind of depressing. Vess is a character though I love to hate."

Karen, would like to know what you are finding depressing.

message 28: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 283 comments Mary wrote: "Karen B. wrote: "I'm about 40% through this go-round of Intensity and finding it kind of depressing. Vess is a character though I love to hate."

Karen, would like to know what you are finding depr..."

Me too. Karen, can you expand? Pretty please? :-)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Finished my 2017 re-read]
Well I'm finished now and it got much better; not that there was anything wrong with it. I think it was depressing because I felt so sorry for Chyna and as though she were in a hopeless situation. It was hard to believe things could get better. I felt like I was walking through a swamp of mud.

I will be a little behind all of you on INTENSITY. I am waiting for an audiobook to become available from the library. Finishing The Darkest Evening of the Year this weekend.

Amy B (amydawn96) | 24 comments I just started Intensity tonight.

The library has INTENSITY waiting for me. Going to pick it up today & will start sometime this week.

Amy B (amydawn96) | 24 comments I'm almost done. Not sure what to think. I mean, I know its Koontz, but it so disturbing. Still, an absolute page-turner.

You must be a speed reader to start Intensity last night & almost be finished tonight :-)

message 35: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments Karen B. wrote: "Finished my 2017 re-read]
Well I'm finished now and it got much better; not that there was anything wrong with it. I think it was depressing because I felt so sorry for Chyna and as though she were..."

Great line, Karen--"walking through a swamp of mud". :-)

Amy B (amydawn96) | 24 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "You must be a speed reader to start Intensity last night & almost be finished tonight :-)"

I took the kids to the pool and spent most of the day reading.

I liked it but it was kind of disturbing--like I hate reading such descriptive details about death/murder. Yeah, yeah, I know its a Koontz...what are some of his milder books? I love Odd Thomas and enjoyed The Darkest Evening of the Year.

My favorites include: Life Expectancy, By The Light of the Moon, Relentless, From The Corner of His Eye and Cold Fire. Of those, I think From The Corner of His Eye is the most disturbing. Life Expectancy, Relentless & By The Light of the Moon have some great humor.

Amy B (amydawn96) | 24 comments Thank you!

Patrick Kiernan I'm just starting this

message 40: by Fred (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fred (fredderoche) | 124 comments This my second read & I added more "fire" notes as I see Sheriff Vess is "sick" killing his parents, grandmother & adoptive parents by "fire".

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments good point Fred.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Did everyone see the Goodreads interview with Koontz? I really liked it.

message 43: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments Karen B. wrote: "Did everyone see the Goodreads interview with Koontz? I really liked it."

Do you have a link for that? Thanks

Karen B. wrote: "Did everyone see the Goodreads interview with Koontz? I really liked it."

I didn't. Was it in the June Newsletter? I usually delete those :-)

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 247 comments Yeah it was, sorry I didn't remember the link. I've just closed it.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Dustin, yes it was in the June newsletter. Let me see if I can bring it up.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Dustin, I'm not sure if this link will work but here's what I copied.

https://www.goodreads.com/interviews/...

Link Works :-) Thanks

message 49: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments There are times I feel like Koontz is baring his soul in his books. This is one of them.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Mary, very interesting. In what ways did you see him baring his soul in this book? I hadn't thought about it.

« previous 1