Polls for Our Souls discussion

I Need Recommendations > YA Contemporary book recommendations for people who usually only read fantasy?!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (new)

Erica | 28 comments I don't normally read contemporary either, I'm more of a fantasy person as well. I'd recommend Me Before You, it's a contemporary romance with some pretty adult themes. Also Room, not romance, but again has some adult themes. :)

Also both have movie adaptations and that's part of why I wanted to read them.

message 2: by Martina (new)

Martina (karamazovsister) | 14 comments Taylor wrote: "I haven't read a contemporary in years so any recs would be appreciated!"
Even in Paradise is a great read, similar to the great gatsby but with girls. Tell Me Three Things is nice and cute, with a typical high School setting.Openly Straight is pretty good and with a male character with love problems.

message 3: by Lilia (new)

Lilia | 67 comments I just finished Everything, Everything and absolutely loved it!! Found it super adorable and I read it in like 2-3 days (there's a lot of pictures and short chapters so that helped)

message 4: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I tend to avoid contemporary in favor of fantasy, so I'm right there with you.
That said, I adored The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis

message 5: by annesofie (new)

annesofie (ananasofie) | 204 comments have you tried aristotle and dante discover the secrets of the universe? it's lovely.

message 6: by Cordelianne (new)

Cordelianne Have you read I'll Give You the Sun? It is a beautiful story!

message 7: by Audita (new)

Audita (auditawdy) | 8 comments I really love I'll Meet You There! >< and also, have you tried It Ends With Us? both are some of my fav books

message 8: by Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛ (last edited May 24, 2017 01:29PM) (new)

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 102 comments I second I'll Meet You There! And Let's Get Lost. And anything by Morgan Matson.

message 9: by Poonam (new)

Poonam | 2 comments Fangirl will be a good book to transition from fantasy to contemporary....

message 10: by annesofie (new)

annesofie (ananasofie) | 204 comments Cordelianne wrote: "Have you read I'll Give You the Sun? It is a beautiful story!"
tRUE

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather (hersecretsmile) | 56 comments I agree with both of Ashley's recommendations. The Hate U Give is my favorite book so far this year and The Female of the Species is up there as well.

I was also going to say the same thing as Poonam about Fangirl.

I'm also going to recommend Thousand Words, If He Had Been with Me, All the Rage, Emmy & Oliver and None of the Above. As well as anything by Kasie West.

message 12: by missyfabioulous (new)

missyfabioulous | 19 comments The chequy files: the rook

message 13: by Hollie (new)

Hollie (hollieg) | 2 comments Have you read the sterling shore series? If not I can't say enough how much I enjoyed it :)

message 14: by Noël (last edited May 22, 2017 05:21PM) (new)

Noël (eyreheights) | 10 comments I am not a huge fan of YA Contemporary myself. I find that genre hard to get into. I love fantasy as well, it's basically all I ever read anymore. So I understand the struggle! But I have found a select few that I absolutely love. The first two I recommend are not YA but they are in the Contemporary category.

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne and Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. THG is a fun, addictive read that I think is a nice break from all the heavy High Fantasy. While MBY is more heavier, sad read. Both are amazing though! Also, I recommend anything by Amy Harmon. My personal favorites of hers are Running Barefoot (her first novel) and From Sand and Ash (her newest novel).

As for YA, I would suggest the Lara Jean trilogy (To All the Boys I've Loved Before) by Han Jenny, Blood for Blood trilogy by Catherine Doyle, The Sea of Tranquility (novel) by Katja Millay, and the Crash series by Nicole Williams.

message 16: by ellie (new)

ellie (hugvvarts) | 44 comments Carry On by Rainbow Rowell I would say Carry On is like a fantasy based contemporary and it's so so good!! I loved it so much.

message 17: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (bookishryan) I'll give you the sun and more than this are really good

Emily Just Emily*~* | 52 comments If I Stay and Where She Went were really good.

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine | 31 comments Every Last Word By Tamara Ireland Stone

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell has small fantasy elements
The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson

message 22: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Rapsodia (elizarapsodia) TOTALLY RECOMMEND We Are the Ants

message 23: by Julia (new)

Julia Oelbaum | 35 comments Anything by rainbow Rowell!

message 24: by Mahea (new)

Mahea | 5 comments I normally don't read contemporary either, but have recently read a few that I really liked. I would suggest Amy & Roger's Epic Detour and In Honor.

message 25: by ava (new)

ava (absbuena) Wink Poppy Midnight It's amazing and has some fantasy bits twisted in throughout the story!!

message 26: by Lilia (new)

Lilia | 67 comments Every Day by David Levithan!!