Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Audiobooks

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Blaque (new)

Blaque Diamond (blaquediamondbooks) | 76 comments Hey guys my question is have any of you ever done an audiobook before? If so how did you go about doing it? What service did you use?

message 2: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Check out ACX, an affiliate of Amazon.

message 3: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Reed (crystalhopereed) | 13 comments It's fairly expensive. I priced out a book that's about 59k words. Almost everyone said it would be a 6-hour final project, and the quotes were anywhere from $3k-$8k. Considering how many books I'd have to sell to break even, I decided against it. But I love the idea in theory!

message 4: by James (new)

James Corkill | 11 comments I use ACX. It didn't cost me anything and I split the royalties 50/50 with the producer. When you post your book you get auditions, and can specify a 50/50 split. 4 of my books are now in audio and my producer will start on my 5th book in a few weeks.

message 5: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments I have used ACX on my last three novels. $0 out of pocket with a royalty share agreement. I get 20% of the cover price and my producer gets 20% for the first 7 years. One advantage with a deal like this, in addition to no money out of pocket, is that the producer also markets the audio book through his professional channels.

Great stuff.

message 6: by Blaque (new)

Blaque Diamond (blaquediamondbooks) | 76 comments With ACX are your books available on itunes or audible?

message 7: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments ACX books are available on Amazon, Audible and iTunes. All.

message 8: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Jaeger (jsjaeger) | 72 comments Crystal wrote: "It's fairly expensive. I priced out a book that's about 59k words. Almost everyone said it would be a 6-hour final project, and the quotes were anywhere from $3k-$8k. Considering how many books I'd..."

Crystal, I'm curious who quoted you $3k-$8k. A 6-hour book shouldn't be that much. Even at $200 PFH, it would be $1200 and there are plenty of producers who don't charge that much. PFH is per finished hour which would be the 6 hours.

message 9: by James (last edited May 22, 2017 12:21PM) (new)

James George | 6 comments I just published my first Audiobook this week. I thought it would be prohibitively expensive, but quite the opposite is true. I found a narrator who was relatively new to the profession and trying to get established. He did fantastic work for an extremely reasonable price.

To piggyback on previous comments, ACX will present you with a huge roster of potential narrators with their respective voice samples. You can filter by nationality, age, gender, skill set, compensation, etc. You can contact them individually and negotiate a price. It is marvelous.

message 10: by David (new)

David Stever | 2 comments Martin wrote: "I have used ACX on my last three novels. $0 out of pocket with a royalty share agreement. I get 20% of the cover price and my producer gets 20% for the first 7 years. One advantage with a deal like..."

Martin - thank you for the information. I published my first novel last November and have been contemplating an audio version. I'm curious, do you expect revenue from your audio books or do you publish an audio version as part of the overall marketing? I have not heard much from authors about any real revenue from audio. Thanks!

message 11: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Morgan | 28 comments I came on here today looking for advice on publishing an audio version of my novel - it seems I'm not the only one!

I published my print and ebook through Amazon's Createspace and KDP, so it seems logical to go through their's audio section.

Through ACX, how does the 50/50 work? It is split automatically like Createspace splits the royalties between me and Amazon? I'm against doing the legal stuff like that myself because I'm a writer, not an accountant.

Do I have to have an audible account in order to publish through them?

message 12: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Reed (crystalhopereed) | 13 comments J.S. wrote: "Crystal wrote: "It's fairly expensive. I priced out a book that's about 59k words. Almost everyone said it would be a 6-hour final project, and the quotes were anywhere from $3k-$8k. Considering ho..."

Cedar House came in at $3400. That's the only name I can remember off the top of my head. There were two others whose rates were even higher than theirs. Oh yes, TCK Publishing did say $1,800, so that's closer to what you're expecting. I forgot about that one until just now.

I know working with ACX on the 50/50 removes cost all together but it also has rights implications, does it not?

message 13: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Jaeger (jsjaeger) | 72 comments Crystal wrote: "J.S. wrote: "Crystal wrote: "It's fairly expensive. I priced out a book that's about 59k words. Almost everyone said it would be a 6-hour final project, and the quotes were anywhere from $3k-$8k. C..."

Yikes! I can see why that scared you off! With ACX, you agree to list it on ACX for 7 years, but you retain the rights of your book. We chose to pay the PFH rate for our about 50,000 word book and it'll be around $450 once it's completed.

message 14: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments "I know working with ACX on the 50/50 removes cost all together but it also has rights implications, does it not? "

The contact I have is 50/50 split with the producer for 7 years. No money out of pocket. Plus the producer markets the audio book because he has a vested interested. You hold all copyrights to the work. The contract is short and simple. Have your lawyer look it over.

You get 20% of the cover price, the producer gets 20% and Amazon gets 60%.

message 15: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Reed (crystalhopereed) | 13 comments Martin wrote: ""I know working with ACX on the 50/50 removes cost all together but it also has rights implications, does it not? "

The contact I have is 50/50 split with the producer for 7 years. No money out of..."

Thank you for the info.

message 16: by David (new)

David Stever | 2 comments Martin wrote: ""I know working with ACX on the 50/50 removes cost all together but it also has rights implications, does it not? "

The contact I have is 50/50 split with the producer for 7 years. No money out of..."

Thank you so much for the info. I've started the process with ACX!

message 17: by Carrie (new)

Carrie D. Miller (carriedmiller) | 24 comments I also started with ACX today. I initially thought I'd do the 50/50 split but then decided against it. I've saved up so I'd prefer to pay it upfront so I can keep all the royalties.

message 18: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments I've done the 50/50 split but haven't paid upfront before. Can someone tell me how this works please? How do you pay your narrator? Thank you :)

message 19: by Gippy (new)

Gippy Adams | 99 comments Thanks so much, Martin, for your wealth of information and experience with ACX. It's the best full-description I've heard up to now and very encouraging.

message 20: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Jaeger (jsjaeger) | 72 comments Marie Silk wrote: "I've done the 50/50 split but haven't paid upfront before. Can someone tell me how this works please? How do you pay your narrator? Thank you :)"

Once he's completed the recording and I've approved it and the necessary edits, I'll pay our narrator through PayPal. Once he receives the payment, he'll release the recording. All the recordings are posted on ACX throughout the process so it's a click of a button at this point.

message 21: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments Thank you for the info, J.S.!

message 22: by Blaque (new)

Blaque Diamond (blaquediamondbooks) | 76 comments This has been very helpful. Maybe audio will be my publishing goal for next year.

message 23: by Ken (new)

Ken Michaels | 9 comments I'm getting ready to find a narrator so I appreciate all of the information provided here. Thanks. Very helpful.

message 24: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Standafer | 57 comments Martin wrote: ""I know working with ACX on the 50/50 removes cost all together but it also has rights implications, does it not? "

I know next to nothing about Audiobooks but have had people ask me why my books aren't available in this format, so I guess it's time to learn.

Given the production costs and the 20/20/60 royalty split, do Audiobooks have to be priced quite a lot higher than paperbacks? With Createspace there is a minimum price for your book based on length, etc. Is the same true for Audiobooks? Just wondering how it works.

message 25: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments They are not priced much higher. I sell more audio books than paper books and make a pile of cash for no extra work. No reason not to do it.

message 26: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Standafer | 57 comments "A pile of cash for no extra work." What's not to like about that!
Thanks, Martin.

message 27: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments Sounds great, Martin :D.

I have some questions for those who are selling audiobooks. My historical fiction book was finished and listed on ACX about 5 weeks ago. I tweeted and posted to Facebook and Goodreads about it but wasn't sure what else to do to promote an audiobook. Now, 5 weeks later, I've had only 6 audio sales. This is a book that usually sells 100 to 200 ebooks per month on Kindle. I was a little disappointed that it didn't seem to be reflected in the interest for the Audible. So my question is...how are you selling audiobooks? Are you doing anything special to promote your audiobook or do they just sell when they get listed? Thank you :).

message 28: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments Let's see. There are several factors that I believe help.

o It's adult Scifi. A very popular genre right now.
o I'm lucky to have a great narrator.
o Production quality is great. Studio and editing.
o My producer markets the audio book as well. (He has vested interest)
o It has many positive reviews. (in print and audio)

message 29: by Larry (new)

Larry Buenafe | 36 comments Martin wrote: "Let's see. There are several factors that I believe help.

o Production quality is great. Studio and editin..."

Hi Martin--sorry if you've already answered this question--are you selling them through Audible ?

message 30: by Larry (new)

Larry Buenafe | 36 comments Larry wrote: "Martin wrote: "Let's see. There are several factors that I believe help.

o Production quality is great. St..."

Oops, sorry, I didn't read enough of the thread. The reason for my question is that I have a little recording studio and was planning on doing the recording myself, saving that cost.

message 31: by Eric (new)

Eric Halpenny | 36 comments Hey, just want to say thanks for this thread. I wouldn't even have thought about audiobooks without it. My book is nearing ebook completion (hopefully this week!) and I am looking into ACX thanks to Martin and the others that have posted on here.

message 32: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 780 comments I feel like Audiobooks are a double edge sword. On one end they are quite popular right now which is rather a surprise to me. So there's a good chance you'll draw interest but on the other end places like ACX are really expensive to enroll your book into so unless I know I'd get a good round of sales I'm skeptical.

message 33: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 193 comments Justin wrote: "I feel like Audiobooks are a double edge sword. On one end they are quite popular right now which is rather a surprise to me. So there's a good chance you'll draw interest but on the other end plac..."

ACX doesn't cost anything if you choose the royalty share option... and it just opened up to us Canadians last week! I'm having a blast with ACX right now. In just a few days, of the 5 books I've listed for audition, 3 are already in production. I've heard the sample 15 minutes from two of them and am delighted with the results.

There is some real vocal talent over there!

message 34: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments Great news about Canada, Dylan! Well done and good luck!

message 35: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Morgan | 28 comments I've had my book listed for auditions on ACX for several weeks now with no results. Is there anything I can do to make it look more appealing to the producers?

message 36: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments Having a good number of positive reviews helps. A great audition scene helps. Also offer a free copy of the eBook so they can assess the value of the "Property".

A royalty share is a business investment for a producer.

message 37: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 193 comments Marie Silk wrote: "Great news about Canada, Dylan! Well done and good luck!"

Thanks! I'm pretty pumped.

message 38: by Blaque (new)

Blaque Diamond (blaquediamondbooks) | 76 comments Since I am blind, a lot of my readers are also blind, so they are asking me if I will get my books and audio format. Now that I know that I can do that with ACX audible books will be my goal for next year. The e-books are accessible for us to read, but we much rather prefer audiobooks.

message 39: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments B.B. wrote: "I've had my book listed for auditions on ACX for several weeks now with no results. Is there anything I can do to make it look more appealing to the producers?"

My book was up for a few weeks with no auditions. I ended up searching the narrators and sending a message to one who I thought would be a great candidate. She auditioned right away and then I had another audition come in a few minutes later. I think that books get lost on there after about the first week so it might help to be proactive in searching through the available narrators.

message 40: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Moorer (sherrithewriter) | 77 comments I looked into it when a couple of people asked, and it was out of budget for me. The price will have to come down before I'm able to do it. Plus, I'm nit confident that those asking would actually buy it. You know how it goes: I'd love to read your book but I'm so busy! We all get that.

message 41: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 780 comments Dylan wrote: "Justin wrote: "I feel like Audiobooks are a double edge sword. On one end they are quite popular right now which is rather a surprise to me. So there's a good chance you'll draw interest but on the..."

Really? Because I thought it cost a ton of money and if you don't pay them you have to pay the person who you use audio for.

message 42: by Denae (new)

Denae Christine (denaechristine) | 167 comments Rewording a question from above, has anyone on here tried to record their own audiobooks?

message 43: by Susan (new)

Susan Segovia-Munoz (susansegoviamunoz) | 9 comments I had my first book done through ACX on a RS and flat fee. During the process I have been learning a lot about audio recording and I am planning on doing at least one of my own books soon. There are plenty of good DAW programs and a very easy one to learn is Twisted Wave. If you have questions about the audio quality you can send a 10minute or so file to them and they will QA it and let you know that the quality of the file is within their standards.

message 44: by Amie (new)

Amie O'Brien | 280 comments I actually listened to a great webinar on this a few days ago. I believe it was by Derek Doepker. Anyway, after listening, I am highly tempted to try recording my novel in my own voice. It's not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be and then I can actually create a closer bond with my readers. I like the idea of having the characters come across exactly how I wrote them. I figure, if it stinks, I can always do an ACX split royalty deal with a narrator. But it's worth the couple hundred dollars to at least try it on my own.

message 45: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 57 comments Amie wrote: "I actually listened to a great webinar on this a few days ago. I believe it was by Derek Doepker. Anyway, after listening, I am highly tempted to try recording my novel in my own voice. It's not ne..."

If you do it, Amie, I'd love to hear how it goes! I've been contemplating recording my own audiobooks too, for pretty much the same reasons, but I'm a little intimidated by the tech side of the process.

message 46: by Amie (new)

Amie O'Brien | 280 comments Thanks, E.P.

I surely will. I probably won't start until September on the actual recording process as you need to have a very, very quiet spot. I have a teenage daughter and a preteen son, so needless to say, with summer break going on, having a quiet spot is like having a wardrobe that takes you to Narnia. I don't have either in my house ;)

But I did check out some audiobooks from the library, just to begin learning from other narrators how they handle things, like different characters, etc. I figure at the very least I can begin doing some homework on it.

message 47: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (stjenna) | 22 comments Thanks for this info, Amie. I'm really interested in how this goes, as I was considering doing the same. I figured it makes sense since my book is a memoir, and I felt that someone else reading it would be rather strange. Please keep us posted!

message 48: by Michele (new)

Michele | 5 comments Does anyone have any experience with audio books and Libro.fm?

message 49: by A. (new)

A. Jr. | 14 comments E.P. wrote: "Amie wrote: "I actually listened to a great webinar on this a few days ago. I believe it was by Derek Doepker. Anyway, after listening, I am highly tempted to try recording my novel in my own voice..."

I found this great article on recording your own audiobooks. Sounds pretty easy. It's called "Yes, You Can Record Your Own Audiobook. Here’s How." by Rob Dircks. Check it out.

message 50: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Eley | 14 comments Blaque wrote: "Hey guys my question is have any of you ever done an audiobook before? If so how did you go about doing it? What service did you use?"

Thanks for posting this. I've never considered an audio book before but will think about it now. I'm a novice and still experiencing the growing pains of self-publishing. This is great information, and very much appreciated. My best to you all.

« previous 1