Forgotten Classics and Other Lesser Known Books (or No One Has Read this but Me!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
26 views
Archive > Nominations for June

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luella (last edited May 21, 2017 02:04PM) (new)

Luella Parameters are
Rules
1. One book per person and the nominator must lead the discussion
2. Must have 5,000 ratings or less
3. Forgotten Classics must be 50 years or older (cut off 1967)
4. Lesser Known books must be 10 years ore older (cut off 2007)

Also as a result of the poll we are only reading one book per month so you may nominate a forgotten classic or a lesser known book.


message 2: by Luella (new)

Luella Two of the past nominations count under these parameters:

1. The Home-Maker
2. Stones for Ibarra


message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Just for clarification (before I decide whether or not to nominate), is the nominator required to lead the discussion?


message 4: by Luella (new)

Luella Sandy wrote: "Just for clarification (before I decide whether or not to nominate), is the nominator required to lead the discussion?"

That's something that I did not put a vote out on. Would you like to lead the discussion? Is so we can set that up. I think we just don't want people to vote and then no one to comment on it. As a whole the group seems happy to have the nominator heavily involved in the discussions.


message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Luella wrote: "That's something that I did not put a vote out on. Would you like to lead the discussion? Is so we can set that up. I think we just don't want people to vote and then no one to comment on it. As a whole the group seems happy to have the nominator heavily involved in the discussions."

Thanks for clarifying, Luella. Personally, although I completely understand the rationale, I would prefer not to have that responsibility.


message 6: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 279 comments Mod
I am in favour of the nominator leading the discussions, partly to discourage frivolous nominations but also because as a moderator I do not want to be forced to lead discussions of books I have no interest in, particularly if they are hard to find...


message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy I understand completely, Hugh. I ought to clarify that personal health issues sometimes interfere with the best-laid plans and render me unable to follow through with such commitments. I will be happy to participate in group reads without nominating the selections.


message 8: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) I'll nominate Divorcing Jack. I've been meaning to read it since I saw the movie years ago. Surprisingly, even though there is a film based off of it, it only has 1,406 ratings on Goodreads.


message 9: by Luella (last edited May 21, 2017 02:03PM) (new)

Luella Hugh wrote: "I am in favour of the nominator leading the discussions, partly to discourage frivolous nominations but also because as a moderator I do not want to be forced to lead discussions of books I have no..."

Thank you Hugh. I made a revision to the rules for the nominator to be involved. Also I think next month we might institute that mods pick the them idea. This month I will just take what comes up.


message 11: by Luella (last edited May 21, 2017 02:09PM) (new)

Luella Sandy wrote: "I understand completely, Hugh. I ought to clarify that personal health issues sometimes interfere with the best-laid plans and render me unable to follow through with such commitments. I will be ha..."

Totally understand Sandy! As an alternative to being able to nominate and lead a discussion you could post what book you want to read in the buddy reads section and see if you could hook a buddy to read it with you. That way you still get to pick books in a way.


message 12: by Carol (last edited May 21, 2017 02:11PM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) I nominate The Street by Ann Petry. First published in 1946, and fewer than 4K ratings. The average rating is 4.13. (I think The Home-Maker might have been a suggestion of mine, but since this is a new thread, I'm not certain. If it was, ignore this. If not, this is my nomination.)


message 14: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 46 comments I'll nominate Belinda by Maria Edgeworth.


message 15: by Luella (last edited May 21, 2017 03:17PM) (new)

Luella That's five. I'm going to stop here for this month and put up a poll.

I'll put the polls up til next Friday that will give us time to do a tie breaker if we need it. I will also put up a nomination thread for July now.


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.