Play Book Tag discussion

The Picture of Dorian Gray
This topic is about The Picture of Dorian Gray
Archive: Other Books > The Picture of Dorian Gray - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Zwang | 485 comments The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
4/5 stars

My first Oscar Wilde and I rather enjoyed it. I believe the book made the 1001 list because it is the only novel that Oscar Wilde wrote. He was known primarily for his short stories and plays.

The story is about a young and dashing Dorian Gray whose beauty is immortalized by the painter Basil Hallward. Lord Henry Wotton also becomes smitten by Dorian's beauty and charm and the three remain friends for some time. The major themes of the novel are youth, the soul and the consequences of one's actions. I thought it a wonderful journey.

I look forward to reading more of Oscar Wilde and seeing some of his plays.

A few quotes I liked.
“Was the soul a shadow seated in the house of sin? Or was the body really in the soul...?”
“He began to wonder whether we could ever make psychology so absolute a science that each little spring of life would be revealed to us.”
“Experience was of no ethical value. It was merely the name men gave to their mistakes.”
“Each of us has heaven and hell in him, Basil, cried Dorian with a wild gesture of despair.”
“To cure the soul by means of the senses, and the senses by means of the soul.”
“Death walked there in the sunlight.”
“The world is changed because you are made of ivory and gold. The curves of your lips rewrite history.”

Marina (sonnenbarke) Glad to know you liked it, Diane! I love this book! I strongly recommend you read his plays, although I cannot really recommend one over the other, since I loved them all :)