Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

VII. Support GR Authors > Which cover do you like better?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matia (new)

Matia ben Ephraim | 21 comments As the old saying goes, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover - but of course, everyone does. I want to know if readers would really be more inclined to buy the exact same book just based on what it looks like on the outside - even if it's not as accurate a representation of the story. I've seen other posts for cover design feedback, which seem to get a pretty good response; but in this case I've already published both versions, and I'm not looking to tweak them. I'm just wondering: which one appeals to you more - the first, a unique homemade depiction, or the second, a generic dramatized image?

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 150 comments The first looks like a young child's picture book, the second looks suitable for older children.

message 3: by Loretta (last edited May 21, 2017 12:16PM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Yes, I agree with Emma about the first one. The second gives it an older feel.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Baeringer (goodreadscomlabaeringer) | 8 comments Agree also. The second gives a more mature feel.

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 39 comments Neither But that is just my opinion and you need to design or have designed a cover that targets the readership for the book. The cover is the first thing a prospective reader will see, thus it forms their first opinion of the book. You want their first impression to radiate professionalism.

message 6: by Matia (new)

Matia ben Ephraim | 21 comments Okay, what do you think of this third option? It's an adaptation of the second cover, designed by Hampton Lamoureux.

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevingchapman) | 5 comments Not significantly different/better than the other lion. If the target audience is pre-teen and teen then the first cover is better. An adult audience will respond better to the lion.