Connecting Readers and Writers discussion

General > Which cover do you like better?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matia (new)

Matia ben Ephraim | 7 comments As the old saying goes, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover - but of course, everyone does. I want to know if readers would really be more inclined to buy the exact same book just based on what it looks like on the outside - even if it's not as accurate a representation of the story. I've seen other posts for cover design feedback, which seem to get a pretty good response; but in this case I've already published both versions, and I'm not looking to tweak them. I'm just wondering: which one appeals to you more - the first, a unique homemade depiction, or the second, a generic dramatized image?

message 2: by Willow (new)

Willow Madison | 16 comments Hmm...I'll venture some opinion.

Without a blurb to go with the cover, I'd say the first one makes me think it's going to be a nice hero/adventure story, maybe geared toward a Y/A or N/A audience (or even younger). (I know you didn't ask for any tweaks, but I'm a rebel, what can I say: the "seal" is a li'l large/distracting and I'd like the road more if it wasn't the same shade of brown as his jacket).

Again, with no blurb to guide me, I'd say the second one looks like it's a PNR/Alpha story, maybe with some werewolf action. It has me thinking the tale will be darker, sexier.

Since I don't read Y/A or N/A - I would pass on the first cover. I write, and love, Alpha sexiness...so the second cover would be my choice as far as what it conveys might be the story behind it. However, I agree with your description of it - generic dramatization - but that is what "sells" within the adult PNR genre. And this one is striking enough that I'd pause at least to give the blurb a chance to intrigue me.

Hope this helps! Happy writing :)
~W

message 3: by Matia (new)

Matia ben Ephraim | 7 comments Interesting commentary.

Your estimation of the first cover is quite accurate, actually, so apparently it does convey the theme quite well; it is all about a nice hero on an adventure, and the intended audience is probably in the range of young or new adult, or just adults in general, or even younger. It's really not a paranormal romance, unless you count the fact that the protagonist can use magic, and girls in the story tend to find him likeable.

message 4: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 5 comments I prefer the one with the lion.