paced reading horror and thrillers discussion

Psycho: Sanitarium
This topic is about Psycho
group reads archive > Psycho: Sanitarium 100% spoilers

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 3492 comments Mod
Psycho: Sanitarium won with a whopping 2 votes! I have no interest in this one but i hope a few more join.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments LMAO!! I have it in my pile, so I thought it was time to get to it. I do hope I'm not the only one, and talking to myself!!

message 3: by Justin (new)

Yeah even the ones with 6 or 7 votes sometimes only have 1 person reading. At the very least, i hope both people who voted are participating so your not reading alone.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Justin wrote: "Yeah even the ones with 6 or 7 votes sometimes only have 1 person reading. At the very least, i hope both people who voted are participating so your not reading alone."

Well, I was one vote.... ;)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments And I stopped at 29%--it's a very fast read....hope someone reads along--LOL!

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
If this had been a bit cheaper to pick up, I would have joined you.

Perhaps sending out a reminder to members would get a few people to join?

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Okay, I found this on Youtube read by the author.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S90Tj...

Looks like I'll be able to join. :)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Spoilers changed to 25%.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I'm ready! Anyone to 25% yet??

message 10: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Ok, well I didn't want to spend that much on a kindle book, but I looked at the youtube link Kate put out.
I listened to it for about an hour.
I couldn't figure out how long it is?
It seemed like it was reading s l o w... but that could be because I read fast.
Any thoughts? Kate? Did you listen?

message 11: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Yes, I've started it. :)
Not very far on and I agree that the author reads it slowly but he has an amazing voice so I don't mind. I'm at the hour mark myself so Vicki and I should be at the same point.

The Youtube time has it at 8 1/2 hours, having read an hour I think that would put me at about 12%.

I'm enjoying it so far, it has the feel of the first book by Bloch so while it might be read slow it's nicely paced. I hate Myron and the nurse (forgot her name, think she's the one called Santa), I hope they get some karma.

Good so far, I hope it continues that way.

message 12: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I'm at 28% now.
Where is everyone else at?

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments 29% YAY!! I was going to wait until tomorrow to read the next 25% so that you could catch up!

What do you think of the brother???

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Myron is definitely my least favorite character at this point--even more so than the inmate who is faking the "insanity plea"--because he is the one who has control. You hear those horrible stories about the aides that abuse the people under their "super version"....and the fact that he honestly believes that God is on his side makes it worse. The lead nurse is going to be a problem because she seems like she'll do anything to get Myron to like her more...

message 15: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "29% YAY!! I was going to wait until tomorrow to read the next 25% so that you could catch up!

What do you think of the brother???"

I think the brother is exactly like Norman but is more of a sociopath and can put a 'normal' face on his psychosis.

message 16: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Well I am still at 1 hour.
I am going to drop this one for now. I am already listening to another audio book.
Enjoy friends! Might try to rejoin later in the month.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Vicki wrote: "Well I am still at 1 hour.
I am going to drop this one for now. I am already listening to another audio book.
Enjoy friends! Might try to rejoin later in the month."

It seems like a fast one--you could probably catch up in no time! :)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments At 51%, so I will stop for the week at this point.

Jessie | 9 comments I just barely started listening to the audio book but have had no time to get into it. I only have the audio on my laptop and can't take it to work with me. I probably won't be able to join the group this month. Unless my schedule free's up more.

message 20: by Justin (new)

50%

message 21: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I'm at 53%.
It's pretty clear who's bumping people off, I was right about the brother.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I have to say I'm a little disappointed about how linear this book is shaping up to be. Nothing "surprising" so far....even the ones that "could" have twisted something in the story aren't doing much to interest me--either that, or they're dead now...

message 23: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I'm changing my mind about who is doing the killings now, I thought it was the brother but now I'm thinking there's a twist to this.

message 24: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Spoilers changed to 75%.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I'm starting to question the whole "brother" thing, myself now....

message 26: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
At 75% or thereabouts.
So the doctor was an evil nazi, I'm glad he's been dealt with but I'm still not sure who is doing the killings.
I find it a bit unsettling how much they treat Norman as though he is just a child and that he needs to be coddled.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments @75%: I didn't see the nazi doctor issue until it was actually revealed. I have a "guess" as to who is actually doing the killings, based on a comment made before "nazi" doctor was found out.

message 28: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I must have missed that.
I'm glad it's not as straight forward as I first thought. I also have to say, I'm loving the audio, the author is narrating and his voice is like velvet.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Kate wrote: "I must have missed that.
I'm glad it's not as straight forward as I first thought. I also have to say, I'm loving the audio, the author is narrating and his voice is like velvet."

I'm reading the h/c, but I have to say that his style really does seem like Robert Bloch's own! I wasn't too sure at first, but I was very pleased to see the similarity!

message 30: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Spoilers changed to 100%.

message 31: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Okay, I'm finished. I'll wait for you to comment, Kimberly, before I add my thoughts.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Finished yesterday. I liked how the style matched Robert Bloch's own, and Norman Bates was portrayed pretty much true to form. The only "problem" I had with this one was that it was ridiculously easy to figure out who was behind the killings, and how.

message 33: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I liked his style too.
I ended up changing my mind several times about who the killer was, I thought it was the 'brother', then the treating doctor but ended up being sorta right on both counts. I thought it was still a nice twist at the end which I should have seen coming sooner.
I would have liked more time with the people killed off as they were taken out too soon for my liking. Still, very enjoyable and I'm glad I got a chance to listen to it.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Yes, I think they could have added more with the sadistic attendant and head nurse, as those were two that really bothered me. But then, Myron gets one "nasty" scene, and he's gone.... There was a lot of potential to let things get nasty there, but as you said, they were taken out too soon in the story.