World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Wealth & Economics > Saudi deal

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13103 comments We all hear reports about a gigantic arms deal between the US and Saudis. Dollars, jobs and all. But if we go back to a little dated IMF's economic projection, Saudi Arabia might have troubles financing such a record deal, allowing for low oil prices:
http://www.mintpressnews.com/imf-says...
In the light of the above, may there be a 'larger' deal, envisaging limits on production and subsequent gradual growth of oil prices? What do you think?

message 2: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7093 comments For one thing, these deals take a long time to put together. The preparation for such a deal is a multi-year process and is not connected to the Trump presidency or to current oil prices.

Whoever won the 2016 election would have been signing this deal.

Most of the cost of the deal will occur over the life of the equipment - not in the acquisition phase.

The Saudi's have a general problem of maintaining cash flow over the coming decades - which I'm sure they are acutely aware of and I'm sure they will be preparing for oil revenues declining over time.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13103 comments Graeme Rodaughan wrote: "The Saudi's have a general problem of maintaining cash flow over the coming decades - which I'm sure they are acutely aware of and I'm sure they will be preparing for oil revenues declining over time. ..."

They are preparing, however with OPEC's decisive influence on oil prices, I kinda expect they might go up... Russia would want 100 USD per barrel -:)

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 46 comments Ok- sorry- help-- I live in Canada and while I DO know that Trump is in this area (as well as Israel and the Vatican, I think...? also, Egypt?) I have NOT watched any TV or news since he left-- did I miss something big and political? -Jen from Quebec :0)

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13103 comments Jennifer Lynn wrote: "Ok- sorry- help-- I live in Canada and while I DO know that Trump is in this area (as well as Israel and the Vatican, I think...? also, Egypt?) I have NOT watched any TV or news since he left-- did..."

If you haven't provided your bank details, I'm afraid Saudi billions paid for US armaments are unlikely to leave imprint on your financial standing -:)
Additionally, the visit offers golden opportunities to take selfies with Mr. President, which some very agile low-level politicians haven't missed -:)
So far - a mega deal with Saudis, purchasing lots of shooting stuff, a tentative coalition of moderate Muslim countries and an attempt to forge a resolution of Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Hallelujah