Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Books of the Month, June 2017 - Red Sister and Illuminae

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
The winners for June's Books of the Month are as follows:

Fantasy: Red Sister
Sci-Fi: Illuminae

Our current Mod Special, Northern Lights, covers May-June.

message 2: by Milou (new)

Milou | 486 comments I am very curious to Illuminae. That is written in the same way as sleeping giants right (there is a name for that but i cant come up with it). It didn't work for me, but ive heard only good things about Illuminae.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Lawrence (marklawrence) | 47 comments Hooray! Thanks for the votes :)

I'm happy to do a Q&A alongside the read if there's any interest.

message 4: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I definitely have a few questions for you Mark once it all gets going :-).
Red Sister is a great book, and even if you have issues with Marks older stuff this is a different breed all together so worth trying .

message 5: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new)

Cupcakes & Machetes (hybridcreature) | 865 comments Mod
Well I guess that settles it. Red Sister is going to be the first book I buy for our new house. :)

message 6: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Good call :-). Mine is in prime location on the brand new shelves. Got one with a hand sketch and everything.
Only small issue is I have hardbacks for the 6 Broken Empire Books and the size of this is different so its all wonky now.

message 7: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 150 comments Do I need to read the previous books for Red Sister? I bought one of the other books in the previous series but haven't gotten around to it yet. Illuminae sounds cool but I tried it before and the way they spoke was a bit too juvenile for me. I might give it another go.

message 8: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Red Sister is unconnected to any previous books .

message 9: by Sean (new)

Sean (redbeard007) | 95 comments As it so happens my library has both available. Placed holds on both. Not sure with other challenges elsewhere if I'll have time for both, but we'll see. I think Red Sister will get to go first.

message 10: by N.E.C.C. (new)

N.E.C.C. | 119 comments Both seem promising, Can't decide witch one i want to read, I'll need a couple of days hahaha.

message 11: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (mariannec05) | 7 comments I am really excited to start Red Sister. It sounds interesting and something that I will love reading. :))

I read Illuminae in Feb, so will pass on it this month. I really enjoyed this book, as it has an interesting storytelling method. So many little details that I appreciated. Will definitely talk about it in the spoiler thread next month.

message 12: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments Both books are on my wishlist.

message 13: by Elle (new)

Elle (elleay) | 49 comments I read Illuminae last year and Red Sister last month and enjoyed both immensely. Two great picks for next month's book of the month - enjoy!

message 14: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2819 comments Mod
Mark wrote: "Hooray! Thanks for the votes :)

I'm happy to do a Q&A alongside the read if there's any interest."

That would be awesome.

message 15: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2000 comments Mod
I'm definitely going to read Red Sister, may give Illuminae a try as well.

message 16: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (fogjuice) | 191 comments Has anyone tried the Illuminae audio book? From what I understand of the book, a lot of it is done like kids texting. With lots of ur and txt shortcuts and stuff. Does it translate to audio book well? Because I still want to get a feel for the story, but reading that much brbs would get annoying.

message 17: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Matthew wrote: "Has anyone tried the Illuminae audio book? From what I understand of the book, a lot of it is done like kids texting. With lots of ur and txt shortcuts and stuff. Does it translate to audio book we..."

I put the audiobook on hold at the library, so we'll see. I understand it's in epistolary style like Sleeping Giants.

message 18: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1131 comments I've got the audio book and I've sampled a couple of chapters and it seems quite good. There are multiple readers so you get different voices introducing the sections followed by interviews or audio sequences read by male and female actors, so it's pretty obvious which characters are speaking. The only quibble is that the teenage boy doesn't sound like a teenager but if I listened from the start I probably wouldn't notice so much. Hope this helps.

message 19: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) The audiobook is amazing! It has sounds effects and a full cast. Very easy to tell who is talking at any give moment. Great overall acting. Loved it! I have some friends that had a hard time with the book.

message 20: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments Red Sister - book. Illuminae - audiobook. There, that's settled.

message 21: by Sarah (last edited May 26, 2017 12:24PM) (new)

Sarah | 641 comments Not really interested in Illuminae, so I'll bypass that one.

I want to read Red Sister, but my library doesn't have it so I don't know. I haven't read any of his other stuff yet, and I dislike spending $13 on an ebook or $15 on a physical book unless I know for a fact I will like it.

message 22: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

I received both from the library today. Illuminae is a 10-disc audiobook, and Red Sister is a rather sizable tome. Now I'll just read/listen to a couple of filler books until June.

message 23: by Sean (new)

Sean (redbeard007) | 95 comments Got mine as well. Illuminae is even bigger Audrey. However the book itself has an artsy design with pages and layout so the pages don't actually have that much in terms of actual sentences on them. Hard to explain, but it's very neat.

message 24: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

I was (am) going to listen to Morning Star in the meantime, and that's 18 discs.

message 25: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (fogjuice) | 191 comments Confession time: I got tired of waiting until June. I have a long commute some days which is perfect for audio books. SO, I started Illuminae this morning. It's only 2 days early, give me a break! ;)

Anyway, I don't have the physical book to compare it to, but the audio book is pretty good. It is a similar format as Sleeping Giants, so some of the date/time headers of the entries get tedious, but a relatively small thing to overlook. In the little I've listened to so far, the multiple voices are very well done. It's not just someone reading a book; there's feelings in the words. And the sound editing was a bonus surprise for me. The voice filters and word bleeps, and sometimes even ambient tone. So if anyone is thinking, "Pleh, I don't want to listen to some joker read monotonously for 11 hours," you won't have to worry about it for this one :)

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1214 comments Illuminae is an epistolary novel, and it exploits its physical format to underscore.

message 27: by Sean (new)

Sean (redbeard007) | 95 comments Got both books yesterday from the library.

message 28: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
I'm visiting my parents this weekend, and a lot of my books are still at their house - including Illuminae. So I'll be doing a re-read!

message 29: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1214 comments Cool!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.