World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > MOON BEER!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) A team of students have crafted an experiment that will be able to brew beer in a low-g environment (like the Moon):

http://www.10news.com/news/uc-san-die...
http://jacobsschool.ucsd.edu/news/new...

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13149 comments That's what really hindered colonization of celestial bodies! With beer problem sorted, we can now set up a full-fledged space settlement.
Surprised that Heineken or Bud aren't mentioned among the sponsors ....

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Nik wrote: "That's what really hindered colonization of celestial bodies! With beer problem sorted, we can now set up a full-fledged space settlement.
Surprised that Heineken or Bud aren't mentioned among the..."

One of them better get in on this! We are thinking of setting up Moon and Mars colonies this century aren't we?

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13149 comments Matthew wrote: "One of them better get in on this! We are thinking of setting up Moon and Mars colonies this century aren't we?..."

Hopefully and quite possibly. The main hindrance in my opinion is that astronomic amounts are spent on weaponizing against each other rather than on astronomy. Route a considerable chunk elsewhere and we can have amazing results...

message 5: by P.K. (new)

P.K. Davies | 353 comments How soon then will we have traffic cops; fined for driving space-craft while under the influence?

message 6: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Probably the moment the colonies get built. "Sir, you can't take off until you blow into this!" And of course, "you have anything to drink, you were kind of swerving around on re-entry!"

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9281 comments In my novel "Red Gold", on the colonisation of Mars, one of the first products to be a commercial hit was beer. Not only that, but because one person was the only one who thought to bring barley, yeast and hops, that person took the first step to being one of the economic elite - you know, the 1% who own most of the stuff.

message 8: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) This Martian beer he made, was it Red Ale? :D

message 9: by P.K. (new)

P.K. Davies | 353 comments Nice one, Matthew. We had a beer here called Red Label. It was made by Watneys and was terrible. That could have been brewed on Mars, Sir Francis Chichester gave it eminence when he took it on his first single-handed round-the-world-voyage. Every evening he would put on a dinner-jacket to open his dried food and drink his Red Label

message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9281 comments Matthew, no, it was called Hell's Ale. Either the ale came from Hell, or the apostrophe meant a letter was missing - the settlement was in Hellas. Take your pick.

message 11: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Ian wrote: "Matthew, no, it was called Hell's Ale. Either the ale came from Hell, or the apostrophe meant a letter was missing - the settlement was in Hellas. Take your pick."

And then there's Helles beer (or Hell) which is a German pale lager that is associated with Munich (and hence, Oktoberfest). A Hellas Helles! Oh, this is such fertile territory :)

message 12: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13149 comments I hope Branson and Musk will stuff the fridges with a good choice of liquors once they launch a commercial space travel..

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9281 comments I forgot to mention the Hell's Ale apostrophe issue got a small plot feature, but later on the beer came with a label with a demon and a trident :-)

A Hellas Helles is somehting I never thought of. Mind you, in general I love Munich beer.