Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > Epic Fantasy Romance (230,000 Words!)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack Seraf | 5 comments Good day! I am currently looking for Beta Readers interested in reading an epic fantasy story with a bit of romance (it is 230,000 words).

Across countless lands, there roams a seemingly aimless bard. Alone he plays and entertains in order to travel comfortably, though he can barely find the answers that he seeks.

On one solemn night he plays by the sea, expressing a sorrow within his heart that he often keeps to himself. Once his melody comes to a tuneful finish, the youth believes to have seen something impossible, and also quite lovely swimming away from him.

A great glimmering tail splashing noiselessly behind a mass of long hair.

Though he dismisses the sight from his mind as nothing but a trick of the eye, they eventually come face to face, becoming inextricably bound together, destined to travel together along the boundaries of earth and sea.

There are many adult themes in my novel, although I have tried to subtly write them in.

If you're interested, please feel free to respond or message me! Thank you for taking the time to read this.

message 2: by Medgine (new)

Medgine (genieaswell) | 36 comments Wooow. Though the plot does sound interesting. How many pages is 230k words exactly?

message 3: by Jack (last edited May 21, 2017 07:16AM) (new)

Jack Seraf | 5 comments Ge wrote: "Wooow. Though the plot does sound interesting. How many pages is 230k words exactly?"

If you were to do the typical formula (250 words per page) it would come out around 920 pages. But...

There are many 800 page books that I've read which are 300,000 + words. So I'm not sure that formula perfectly represents the length of my novel. It seems mostly to do with the chosen font.

Scrivener tells me that this book would come out to be 500-600 pages in typical book formats. When I've put it into a PDF file, it has somehow become 400 pages, but it transforms into a whopping 1,000 when I upload it into kindle!

To summarize my question though, any beta reader will probably be reading the 1,000 page format on kindle, though the actual pacing will be of a typical 600 page book lol.

Sorry for the long explanation. Hope that helps.

message 4: by Medgine (new)

Medgine (genieaswell) | 36 comments Jack wrote: "Ge wrote: "Wooow. Though the plot does sound interesting. How many pages is 230k words exactly?"

If you were to do the typical formula (250 words per page) it would come out around 920 pages. But...."

Oh, I understand. I'm interested, but scared at the same time. Hm -thinks- if you don't find any volunteers, we'll see?

message 5: by Jack (new)

Jack Seraf | 5 comments Okay! I understand the size can be a bit intimidating. Just know that if you were to beta read that there would be no rush. You can think of the book as one big TV series almost. You watch it bit by it (or read in this case).

All I really want to know is if readers enjoy the content, or what doesn't work with them. But I'm glad you're interested! I'll be readily available should you decide. :)

message 6: by Medgine (new)

Medgine (genieaswell) | 36 comments Jack wrote: "Okay! I understand the size can be a bit intimidating. Just know that if you were to beta read that there would be no rush. You can think of the book as one big TV series almost. You watch it bit b..."

Right?! It is! I've never read that big of a manuscript unless it is a required book for college. I'd probably charge for that kind of size just to be motivated unless it is a REALLY interesting story, and I just can't put it down. I'd probably read that in WAY less than a week because I'd be to engrossed in it. Anyways, I'm going to bookmark this for when I decide. See you then :)

message 7: by Jack (new)

Jack Seraf | 5 comments Awesome! Sounds good.

Also for anyone else reading this, if you'd like to simply beta read a small sample of the book, then that's alright too!

message 8: by Jack (last edited May 31, 2017 07:44AM) (new)

Jack Seraf | 5 comments Going to bump this thread...

I need at least 1-2 more Beta Readers! Anyone who has a love for long epic fantasy books (which contains a good bit of romance mixed in).

Feel free to message me if you're interested!

message 9: by Korahs (new)

Korahs | 8 comments Jack wrote: "Good day! I am currently looking for Beta Readers interested in reading an epic fantasy story with a bit of romance (it is 230,000 words).

I love a long book. If you haven't found any readers I like to give it a try.