Booktubers on Goodreads discussion

55 views
Tea Talks > Booktube Struggles | Tea Talks

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zarriah Rose (new)

Zarriah Rose (Zarriah Rose) (zarriahrose) | 11 comments Mod
Share your booktube struggles with other booktubers.

One of my struggles is filming/editing a video - especially if it's pre-filmed - and then deciding I don't quite like it after all the work, and then struggling with if I should upload it or not. Balancing quality and being active sometimes is a struggle for me! I also have a hard time being really active and keeping up on other people's videos and engaging when life gets crazy, while still managing my own channel.

OR, getting everything all ready and my camera dying mid-filming!

Any little things you guys struggle with? :)


message 2: by Zarriah Rose (new)

Zarriah Rose (Zarriah Rose) (zarriahrose) | 11 comments Mod
Donna wrote: "I struggle with getting to the popular reads when they are popular and all the hype. Mainly because i cant afford the book right when its all the rave.
I also struggle with filming and having moti..."


I totally relate to this one! I am still learning how to talk on camera, and always feel like I CANNOT think of what to say when I'm making a video sometimes. And yet, when I'm ranting to my fiance about books it comes so easily! Hopefully one day I'll be as natural coming up with the conversation to the camera as I am to him!


message 3: by Bunny (new)

Bunny Cakes (bunnycakes) | 10 comments Donna wrote: "I struggle with getting to the popular reads when they are popular and all the hype. Mainly because i cant afford the book right when its all the rave.
I also struggle with filming and having moti..."


I relate to this so much I thought I had already posted here for a second. :)

I feel like I would get more activity on my channel if I could afford to get the more popular books when they are popular but I'm not working right now so it's not going to happen anytime soon. and that does make it hard to stay motivated and to keep making videos for old books that I know aren't likely to interest many people.

That said, one thing I've been trying to do to combat this is by signing up for a few sites that give me chances at getting free ARCs. Another thing I've done has been to enter giveaways on both Twitter and even here on good reads. You can get ARC offers here on good reads as well. I've not posted any videos yet from the few books I've gotten but it has helped me get a few new books that might be new enough to be interesting to people


message 4: by Silvia (last edited May 23, 2017 05:53AM) (new)

Silvia Kay (silviakay) 1) My public speaking skills. I still don't feel very confident speaking in front of the camera, although it is much better than it used to be. Of course, this makes the editing proces a nightmare.

2) Filming book reviews. They're SO hard to film! Any other type of booktube videos is a breeze in comparison, but I do want to get better at reviews or else I'd just be doing tags haha (which are the easiest to film I think).

3) People who unsubscribe and the subscriber count in general. I know none of this should bother me but it does. Not always but when I have a really bad day, and on top of that someone unsubscribes, I can't help but feel a bit discouraged.

Still, the pro's outweigh the con's, at least so far, so all's good :)


⭐Anni⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) I can totally relate to the hyped books thing! And also, new, hyped books are often not out yet in my country, so I have to either order them online (which I don't really like) or wait until they are translated (urgh, that takes ages).

Can also relate to almost everything Silvia said!


message 6: by Reija (new)

Reija (thebookfinch) Yeah, keeping up with new releases is tough sometimes. I usually want to try before I buy, so I want to use my local library as much as possible and sometimes they don't stock the newest releases, or they stock only the translated versions.
It's a conundrum.

I'm also on the same page with what Silvia said, especially about the book reviews.
That's the content I want to make more of, but it takes ages to plan and execute a review video, so I've been falling behind.

Also I struggle a lot with doing content that I find enjoyable to make and what other find enjoyable to watch. Striking that balance is quite difficult.


message 7: by Savannah (new)

Savannah (the_book_prophet) | 8 comments I struggle with figuring out which videos to film when. I have a long list of video ideas but sometimes I either feel like filming all of them or don't feel like filming any of them.

I also want to put up the best quality content I can but I don't want to not post often as well. I am also not the best at getting my thoughts across and I often mumble.

Let's not even mention getting books off my shelves for certain videos such as tags or hauls.


message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Wood (lisaandthings) I definitely can relate to everyone's comments about not reading hyped books soon enough! I get most of my books from the library, and the waitlist is usually VERY long for new releases.

I also feel the same as Silvia about subscribers and comparisons. It's really tough when I'm having a bad day. One thing that's worked pretty well for me is to think about the number of subscribes as people in a room, and suddenly the numbers feel pretty big again! :)

Something I'm currently thinking a lot about is how to come up with original content, or something unique about my channel. For example, I love Book Roast's "Book in a Jar" idea.


message 9: by Carrie-Anne (new)

Carrie-Anne I feel like I have loads of ideas but it's just getting around to filming them and producing the best quality video I can. For example, I created an 'April Fools' book tag and answered all the questions in little skit videos. I really enjoyed doing that, and other people seemed to really like it too, so I want to do more videos with skits but it's about finding the time and being in the right motivational head space


message 10: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Lane (goodreadscomnatashadlane) Hello, peeps! So, like many of you, I struggle with the editing. For me, it's not really the editing itself but it's just finding time to fit it in. Additionally, I write scripts with almost every video I upload and I don't do a lot of tag videos (which I'm planning to change) so, all my videos are based on specific books. Essentially, I have to find the time to read the books, write the scripts, film the videos, edit them, and design the covers, as well. 24 hours is just not enough lol

I also try to read books that aren't often discussed in the BookTube community which is a pro and a con. A prop because they're books I love and I'm bringing shine to new authors. A con because viewers really love all the mainstream stuff.


message 11: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Lane (goodreadscomnatashadlane) Lisa wrote: "I definitely can relate to everyone's comments about not reading hyped books soon enough! I get most of my books from the library, and the waitlist is usually VERY long for new releases.

I also f..."


Yes! And books are expensive, especially if you want them in physical form. "Six of Crows" is a great read but it was almost $25. Imagine doing that with several books several times a month? Who can afford that? lol


message 12: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Lane (goodreadscomnatashadlane) Savannah wrote: "I struggle with figuring out which videos to film when. I have a long list of video ideas but sometimes I either feel like filming all of them or don't feel like filming any of them.

I also want t..."


My best advice here is just to start by talking and eventually you'll become more comfortable on camera. I used to post randomly, as well but now I have it set down to two videos on Sunday and I think people appreciate the consistency.


message 13: by Reija (new)

Reija (thebookfinch) Another struggle that I have is the fact that when it comes to the whole community thing, I am a complete and utter lurker.

It is really hard for me to come up with good and witty comments, which in turn leads to me not really commenting on videos by people I've not established connections with.
Because of course unless you have nothing meaningful to add to the conversation, then better say nothing at all. And that makes it really hard to get to know new people, even though I'd want to.

Is there such a thing as internet-shyness? And is that level of social awkwardness just something that I have or, are there others struggling with this?
Thoughts and/or tips to overcoming it?


message 14: by Carrie-Anne (new)

Carrie-Anne Reija wrote: "Another struggle that I have is the fact that when it comes to the whole community thing, I am a complete and utter lurker.

It is really hard for me to come up with good and witty comments, which ..."


I don't think you should think so much into it (easier said than done I know! In face to face situations I could never take that advice!) But I appreciate it if someone just says 'your cat is so cute' or 'I loved *insert book* too!' - it is awesome to have in depth conversations and discussions, but even a single line opens up that conversation.
If you say 'I liked that book' I could say me too and list what I liked and ask what you enjoyed about it, opening up the conversation :)


message 15: by Savannah (new)

Savannah (the_book_prophet) | 8 comments Reija wrote: "Another struggle that I have is the fact that when it comes to the whole community thing, I am a complete and utter lurker.

It is really hard for me to come up with good and witty comments, which ..."

I do stuff like that as well. I've been breaking out of my shell a bit more but know that when you comment on someone's video it makes their day whether the comment is interesting and witty or not :)


message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 5 comments I really struggle with staying consistent. My goal is to upload 2 videos a week, but most weeks I have a hard time getting my videos done and uploaded. Life always seems to interfere and then I feel terrible about not publishing consistently, which in turn zaps my motivation the following week and I end up in this awful loop.

It doesn't help that I have 2 YouTube channels, and the other one is linked to my business so it gets priority, leaving very little time and energy for my BookTube channel.


message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 5 comments Reija wrote: "Another struggle that I have is the fact that when it comes to the whole community thing, I am a complete and utter lurker.

It is really hard for me to come up with good and witty comments, which ..."


Oh, I have this same problem! I came up with a little trick that helps me a lot; maybe it might help you too. :)

I watch most YouTube videos on my computer, and I keep a text editor open beside the video. (You could do this long-hand in a notebook if you're watching on a mobile device.) Whenever the person says something that makes me think of a response, I jot it down right then and there rather than waiting until the end of the video. It could be a random comment they're making, and that's what I'll comment on if it resonates with me. It's something I definitely would forget if I waited until the end of the video, and then I'd find myself with nothing to comment on.

For example, I was watching a book review the other day of a non-fiction book. I had absolutely nothing to add to the review, but the person made an off-hand comment about a particular Starbucks drink they liked and that's what I commented on. :) It might seem silly, but it really helps form a connection with the person behind the camera because you're showing you're paying attention and you're interested in them as a person.


message 18: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Kay (silviakay) Reija wrote: "Another struggle that I have is the fact that when it comes to the whole community thing, I am a complete and utter lurker.

It is really hard for me to come up with good and witty comments, which ..."


I actually have an opposite problem. I comment all the time. Basically, almost every single time I watch a video I will leave a comment (unless the video is super old, in which case I only comment if I was blown away by its awesomeness to let the creator know of its worth XD).

Sometimes I feel a bit awkward about my comments afterwards because I'm a very enthusiastic, spur-of-the-moment person and it isn't rare for me to leave a stupid comment because I rarely think things through before hitting the "Post" button XD. For example, I have recently commented on someone's video saying something along the lines of "Ooooh, Doctor Zhivago was one of my favourite children's books growing up" and that person was like "You must have had a children's edition because it's definitely not a children's book", and I felt like the stupidest person on Earth for not knowing that (... but I genuinely thought my version of it was the original).

But what I'd recommend when it comes to becoming more comfortable with leaving comments is simply focusing on the person whose video you've just watched and the connection you want to make. Or simply the things they talked about. I don't always comment with the intention of becoming BFFs with the person who made the video - sometimes I just have something to say and, well, say it. And often we become booktube friends afterwards anyway. ^^


message 19: by Bunny (new)

Bunny Cakes (bunnycakes) | 10 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I really struggle with staying consistent. My goal is to upload 2 videos a week, but most weeks I have a hard time getting my videos done and uploaded. Life always seems to interfere and then I fee..."

The biggest thing you can do to help with this is to film more than one video at a time and try to build a backlog of videos that you can post during those times when you can't think of new thing to film or do not have time.

For example, I've been under the weather for almost a week now but I've got enough backlogged videos that I -could- go another two weeks without filming for my booktube channel. Most of the videos are reviews for books or random discussion videos that are not time sensitive and therefore can be filler content when I need it. My other channel, which is a vlog channel, has been dead for the past week because I didn't plan so far ahead for it and it is suffering for it.

Typically what I do is film at least three videos every time I sit down to film and because booktube videos are typically very short it doesn't take much time to do just that. Then if I have time I'll edit them then and there and upload them to my channel set to private so that I can set them to public from literally anywhere using my phone or laptop. It also gives me more time to devote to my other channel, usually, though that channel would benefit from some backlogged videos as well, obviously.


⭐Anni⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) I haven't figured out how to quote another person's comment here yet, but I'm with Silvia. I comment on almost anything! :'D


message 21: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Kay (silviakay) Anni wrote: "I haven't figured out how to quote another person's comment here yet, but I'm with Silvia. I comment on almost anything! :'D"

Glad to hear you can relate, Anni!

Just click on "reply", which is at the bottom of each discussion post, and then it will copy the beginning of that post into your own comment XD


message 22: by Reija (new)

Reija (thebookfinch) Thank you everyone for your tips and thoughts.
I'll have to put Savannah's and Silvia's advice to good use, and hopefully in the future I'll be better about commenting.
:)


Bunny wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "I really struggle with staying consistent. My goal is to upload 2 videos a week, but most weeks I have a hard time getting my videos done and uploaded. Life always seems to interf..."

I currently post three times a week, and I've been aiming towards building a backlog of like a week or two so I wouldn't have to stress about missing an upload day.
But it's surprisingly hard.
I need to find a way to work on scheduling my filming better. A backlog would come in handy when I go on my holiday. ^^;;


back to top