St John's Book Club discussion

Books in or about Newfoundland

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeffrey (last edited May 20, 2017 02:11PM) (new)

Jeffrey Walker (jkwalkerauthor) Can't find any group rules prohibiting this, so I'm going to jump in with a plug for my historical novel that just came out 17 May. It's set 1914-1925, with two of three main characters from St John's and soldiers in the Newfoundland Regiment. About a third of the scenes are set either in St John's or up the east coast of Newfoundland. Hope that establishes its applicability to this group.

Book is None of Us the Same (Sweet Wine of Youth, #1) by Jeffrey K. Walker by me, Jeffrey K. Walker.

Did a lot of research in Newfoundland for this book and the next two in my "Sweet Wine of Youth" trilogy. I visited the Rooms and provincial archives, the RNFLD Regimental Museum, the St John's city museum in the old rail station, the Bonavista lighthouse museum, and some smaller private places as well. And fell in love with Newfoundland in the process--we'll be back, hopefully soon.

Hope you'll give "None of Us the Same" a try. It's available on Amazon now, through other sellers worldwide in June.

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter Deal | 2 comments Thanks Jeffrey,

I'm always interested to see new books set in our home province. We'll certainly consider it at our next book club meeting.

Regards,
Peter

message 3: by J.J. (new)

J.J. King | 2 comments Are you guys an in-person group? I'm a Newfoundland Author and I've helped put together a provincial literary tour that ends in St. John's on August 16th with a big finale at the AC Hunter. You guys should come out.

message 4: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Walker (jkwalkerauthor) A quick additional post. Book 2 of my Sweet Wine of Youth WWI trilogy launched today--also some scenes in Newfoundland and some Newfoundlander characters. Truly Are the Free Truly Are the Free (Sweet Wine of Youth, #2) by Jeffrey K. Walker

message 5: by Marin (new)

Marin . I discovered your small group while browsing GR and decided to become a member because I live in St. John's too. Also, it is politically correct to have a foreign bird in your tiny NL family.
I write, illustrate, design, and publish children's picture books. Are they good? Feel free to read the reviews on my GR profile. If you contact me personally - darmonkow(at)gmail(dot)com - I'll send you a free e-book of your choice. Tks in advance for your message. My website is https://fontreal.com. Stay safe!