Young Adult Contemporary Romance discussion

❤ DISCUSSIONS > What Makes A Good Romance Story?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Selden | 2 comments Just curious. I can't say I've read a LOT of books labeled as romance books, although many books have a romantic facet.

What do romance readers look for?

At what point does a romance become quasi erotica?

I've never put anything erotic in one of my books, although there is usually a friendship or romantic element part to the story (or the potential for one to develop in two that have younger characters).

message 2: by Vega_girl (new)

Vega_girl | 6624 comments I like for the leads to discover they like eachother....like enemy to love story...I tjink ot only turns erotica if you story line is based on their physical relationship more than the bonding... hope that helps.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris | 7142 comments Mod
Vega_girl wrote: "I like for the leads to discover they like eachother....like enemy to love story...I tjink ot only turns erotica if you story line is based on their physical relationship more than the bonding... h..."

I like enemy to love stories to, but I think my favorite is friends to love story. :) I also love when two broken characters, some kind of hardship in their lives find each other and heal.

I'm all about the feels in a book. I love character development and relationship driven stories where you slowly see the characters fall in love. Not really into insta love.

As for erotica, I find it boring if it's a book just for the sex. I do love a light fun sexy romance. They're fun every so often, but a good romance doesn't require a bunch of sex. It should just evolve naturally to the story. It really depends on the characters.

What makes a good romance a great book for me is good supporting characters. Strong supporting characters added to a good story are what makes it to my Favorite Shelf!

message 4: by Vega_girl (new)

Vega_girl | 6624 comments Well said, Chris!!