SIA Showcase for Readers and Writers discussion

Member showcase A through G > Andrew Ahn -- "A Ghost of a Chance" Goodreads Giveaway

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (last edited May 20, 2017 01:03PM) (new)

Andrew Ahn | 13 comments A Ghost of a ChanceHaving made (still making) every mistake in the self-publishing world... I have released my Paranormal Noir Book "A Ghost of a Chance" on Kindle Select with a paperback edition after many rejection because of constant encouragement (and annoying badgering) from family and friends. I have also started a Goodreads blog and a facebook account for the book.

Here is my backcover blurb:

We’re all born with some amount of luck. Once you’ve used it up, you better have a grasp on how the world works or you might as well be dead. Except if you’re a ghost whore like Anthony. The spectral-kind are no more than astral luck, feeding off the emotions of the living. With a little motel room or back alley action, Anthony gets them ghosts to give up their mind exploding wad of chance. Easy-peasy.

Anthony’s life is smooth for a good-looking gay fellow; Ghost’s made it a little lonely but that’s all right. Until he witnesses a murder, and his mad friend is implicated. Worse the newly made ghost haunts Anthony to find the murderer.

Why won’t these stupid ghosts just spill their luck and leave Anthony alone?

----
A Ghost of a Chance does contain adult content with swearing and with mostly implied sexual content. And though I do not consider Anthony's gayness a major plot in the book (ghost have no gender just their image of themselves as they were meant to be) he is often seeking out some warm body to love (and failing miserably).

One of my favorite negative reviews (during first readings) I have had is: "I'm not a prude but I can't read this."

One of my favorite positive reviews has been: "Is Anthony real?"

If you'd like to meet Anthony Alek Angeli on facebook (and other quirky characters) join me at: https://www.facebook.com/AnthonyA.Angeli

Thanks to SIA and all those who contributed their knowledge and experience. I'm learning sooo very much from all of you, even if I'm a little late to the show.

Andrew

message 2: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 533 comments Hi, Andrew and welcome. What an interesting idea for a book! I added it to my tbr list.

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Ahn | 13 comments Lyra wrote: "Hi, Andrew and welcome. What an interesting idea for a book! I added it to my tbr list."

Thank you soo much for looking. It truly means a lot to me.

I still have much to absorb on here. Slightly overwhelmed (well not slightly... completely). But if you do enjoy even a chapter or two (free chapter both on amazon preview and Chapter 2 on Goodreads, or don't enjoy it at all please friend me on Goodreads and I will return the favor, I love encouraging the arts be it writing or other explorations.

Thanks again! And here's to Indie artists everywhere!

message 4: by J. Daniel, Nibbly-No-Nails (new)

J. Daniel Layfield (jdaniellayfield) | 80 comments Mod
Welcome to the group! You'll find all kinds of helpful advice on our other group too, and lots of authors willing to share their experiences. Make sure you check it out: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Ahn | 13 comments J. Daniel wrote: "Welcome to the group! You'll find all kinds of helpful advice on our other group too, and lots of authors willing to share their experiences. Make sure you check it out: https://www.goodreads.com/g..."

Have been doing the rounds (still overwhelmed). Thank you for the greeting!

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Ahn | 13 comments India wrote: "Hello there :)"

Hello! I'm really interested in your work. I have always had a love hate relationship with Magical Realism because my life feels like most stories I have read in the genre. But my favorite books have a Magical Realism quality to it...

Have you ever checked out "Come to Me" by Sin Soracco? Its more a Noir book but the truths involved in it makes it a rough and tumble Magical realism to me.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Ahn | 13 comments India wrote: I'm about to add it to my Want to Reads, but this year's focus is shorts because that's my passion."

Not to toot my own book but that's why we're here (kinda.) But "A Ghost of a Chance" is actually short-stories about the protag that link together and wrap up at the end. So i have a chapter on a illusionist, another on Santa Claus, memories, poker, blackjack, a 'magical(?)' piano, and so on.

message 8: by Dwayne, That's Dr. Cannibal To You (new)

Dwayne Fry | 560 comments Mod
Hi Andrew! Welcome!

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Ahn | 13 comments Dwayne wrote: "Hi Andrew! Welcome!"

Hello!

I'm very interested in your book about an autistic character. I have a character that isn't necessarily autistic but I used some of that 'functional autism' information in building her character.

i'm also curious about your flash fiction. Do you find that a book like that does well in today's market? I suppose I should ask you that on your authors page-ha

message 10: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1090 comments Hi Andrew! Yes, this is your thread so feel free to toot, shout, wail, or otherwise tell us all about your work. Or anything at all, for that matter. And yes, feel free to hop around and meet the other authors! There are a lot of you now, but the more the merrier!

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Ahn | 13 comments Christina wrote: "Hi Andrew! Yes, this is your thread so feel free to toot, shout, wail, or otherwise tell us all about your work. Or anything at all, for that matter. And yes, feel free to hop around and meet the o..."

Are you a Phillip K Dick fan (by your author Bio)? "Scanner Darkly" is one of my Favorite romance novels (ha!) of all time.

message 12: by Christina (last edited May 24, 2017 11:25PM) (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1090 comments Among others! ;-)
But uh... Don't tell anyone I said this, but of the very short list of films that were better than the book, the top spot goes to Blade Runner over Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. :-x

message 13: by Dan (new)

Dan Burley (danburleyauthor) | 72 comments Welcome, Andrew! I'm going to echo some others here and say I very much like the sounds of that book. It sounds really interesting.

message 14: by Dwayne, That's Dr. Cannibal To You (new)

Dwayne Fry | 560 comments Mod
Andrew wrote: "I'm very interested in your book about an autistic character. I have a character that isn't necessarily autistic but I used some of that 'functional autism' information in building her character. "

The spectrum seems to keep getting wider. Anymore, it seems almost everyone fall into it somewhere. That story is, actually, one of my personal favorites. I'll be doing another with that character later this year and probably next year I'll have a novel out with him as one of the main characters. He's a lot of fun to write.

As for the flash fiction, Happy Clown Burger Vol. One is one of my better sellers, so there is a market for it. However, I don't see a lot of sales on Vol. Two and almost never on Three and Four. Eventually there will be six books, but I'm having trouble feeling motivated to do more when most of the ones that are finished are not selling.

message 15: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Ahn | 13 comments Dan wrote: "Welcome, Andrew! I'm going to echo some others here and say I very much like the sounds of that book. It sounds really interesting."

Hello Dan,

Thanks for stopping in.

Harper is from upstate New York? You too? Lived my first 21 years in a suburb (farm land) near Rochester before my older brother dragged me to California where I've been for over 21 years more-ha. My Brother now is living in Binghamton, NY having just opened a Kava Bar and finally doing what he should be doing in his life, though I miss him a lot. I do not miss the snow...

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1090 comments Andrew wrote: "Harper is from upstate New York? You too? Lived my first 21 years in a suburb (farm land) near Rochester before my older brother dragged me to California where I've been for over 21 years more-ha. My Brother now is living in Binghamton, NY having just opened a Kava Bar and finally doing what he should be doing in his life, though I miss him a lot. I do not miss the snow..."

Okay, I'm convinced Upstate NY produces authors. That's all there is to it. There are at least 12 of us here in the showcase and I know a few more on other social media. Incidentally, I've got an atmospheric horror in the works that takes place in a small dirt road town in the NY-PA border between Binghamton and Elmira.

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Ahn | 13 comments Christina wrote: Okay, I'm convinced Upstate NY produces authors.

If this is true, I theorize that (at least when I was a kid and compared to California), there was such a clear distinction to the hierarchy of the pack in school that the freaks, geeks, and nerds were separated out and needed outlets all the while the loom of New York City (as a wild-child I never could get into cities) being a place of Artistic freedoms and the writing world psychically called to us. Snow also forces time at home which at times meant watching the tube but also reading both allowing for story.

Now California also has a huge native writing population but I think that comes from a celebration and encouragement and groups being embraced (though at time artificially) rather than rejected with the psychic draw of Hollywood (which I also don't like-ha).

Of course I'm being very generalized, slightly joking and none of this is actually region exclusive or even true. Every place in the world creates those who wish to express stories. But I would be interested in genre specific distribution of authors-ha!

message 18: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1090 comments Andrew wrote: "But I would be interested in genre specific distribution of authors-ha!"

Hm, now that would be interesting to see! I would be neat to do a side by side comparison of expectation be reality as well. For example, I would expect a lot of academic and literary titles to come out of the New England area based on nothing more than the huge number of ivy league and arts schools. Would be rather funny to find that in actuality, New England produces more cowboy romance or something equally unexpected.

message 19: by Andrew (last edited Jun 24, 2017 08:39AM) (new)

Andrew Ahn | 13 comments Got my first review on Goodreads (not from someone I know!) From the Giveaway.

I would've been happy with a 1 star review but it was a 5 star which is soooo much more appreciated. And the person read it in 3 days!? I wish I read like that. I am so very happy!

But here's another thought (Blog stuff I guess ha!)

I do get a sick pleasure from negative reviews; Negatives means I affected them somehow even within the first few words to have garnered them to even bother postng. Even if it's their social consciousness is what I brought into question, since what I write is usually what I consider a positive statement about life, at least by the end. Even in my most fantastical story (I like good guys-ha).

Don't get me wrong negative reviews still hurt for awhile (certain topics hurting more than others) and if all I ever got was 5 star reviews I would be the happiest man in the world. If I got only negative reviews I would reconsider my approach to writing in general.

So Thank you for the positive reviews!!!!!! but thank you for even bother spending anytime trying to read my work.

message 20: by Andrew (last edited Jul 26, 2017 03:30PM) (new)

Andrew Ahn | 13 comments Celebrating for a month starting July 26th ending August 26. Two paperback giveaway signed copies of 'A Ghost of a Chance' with ghost paper's to celebrate your ancestors! Opened to Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, also Finland and Japan(Wanted to see what happens) and USA.

message 21: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Ahn | 13 comments I just noticed I Got my first rating (sad not a review) on goodreads by someone who I had no direct influence over, not a friend, or a friend of a friend, or giveaway winner (who I truly appreciated)

It was 2 stars and it gives me personal legitimacy. I know my Paranormal book wouldn't be for everyone. When i shopped this book and brought it to workshops and had beta readers for chapters there were people who could not read it -- as I say I had a great review of "I'm not a prude but I can't read this." Wonderful! A true emotion, an emotion enough that you'd actually let me know. And to rate at 2 stars, it doesn't take much to click those stars but it does take a second of your time to say, "Man I really didn't like this..." should I give it 1 or 2 stars... Yes! Thank you.

Thank you for trying. Thank you for sharing even a moment of time with my story and my thoughts. I am sorry you did not enjoy and I hope someday you will give me another try on a different story!

SIA Showcase for Readers and Writers

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Ghost of a Chance (other topics)