LGBTQ Manga Book Club discussion

Introductions

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karleen (new)

Karleen (karleenmary) | 17 comments Mod
This group has been open for a while but I realized we should have a place for member introductions! Answer as many or as few questions as you like.

1.) What's your name? Pronouns?
2.) How old are you?
3.) Where are you from?
4.) What are three random facts about you?
5.) What are you currently reading, manga or otherwise?
6.) How often do you read manga? What is/are your favorite manga?
7.) What genres of manga and fiction in general do you like to read?
8.) Do you have any recommendations for manga/anime with LGBTQ themes?
9.) Anything else?

message 2: by Karleen (new)

Karleen (karleenmary) | 17 comments Mod
1.) I'm Karleen! She/her/hers is good.
2.) 23 years old
3.) I'm from and live in Oregon in the US.
4.) I studied sociology and Japanese in college, I don't have a sense of smell, and I live with three cats.
5.) I'm catching up on the US release of My Hero Academia. Horikoshi is great at making believable and charming characters (wellll except for the two characters I dislike). I also recently read Fun Home and loved it.
6.) Most of what I read is manga, but I don't keep track of it on goodreads. Some of my favorites are Cardcaptor Sakura, Devilman, and Shounen Note. c:
7.) I don't find myself drawn to particular genres. I'm more drawn to certain character types and dynamics? Nonhumans with identity issues, good relationships turned hostile by outside forces (bonus if it's romance), self-sacrificing protagonists, anti-villains, stuff like that.
8.) Shimanami Tasogare is my #1 rec always. A coming of age drama about LGBTQ issues by a nonbinary and asexual mangaka!
9.) I'm very happy to see people have found this group just through exploring goodreads?? I look forward to getting to know you all.

message 3: by Malia (last edited May 20, 2017 04:32PM) (new)

Malia (catfishingwords) | 3 comments 1.) Malia. She/Her is fine

2.) 23

3.) Oregon, USA.

4.) I don't know how to drive a car or ride a bike. Right now I'm in graduate school to get a master's degree in library science. My favorite color is tied between yellow and red.

5.) Right now I'm rereading/finishing Black Jack. I've read most of the series and a top favorite of mine, but I haven't ever finished it in full (even though it's very episodic I just always lose my place so I'm starting over). I've also picked up Undertsanding Comics by Scott McCloud and am digging into comics like Betty & Veronica (the modern run by Adam Hughes), Black Bolt (currently by Saladin Ahmed and Christian Ward), and Brave Chef Brianna. I have a few other thing I'm trying to get to but that's basically what's been on my plate right now haha.

6.) It goes off and on? I read manga the most out of anything really but consistently keeping up with a series is a struggle sometimes. Some top favorites include Cardcaptor Sakura, Emma, Love Roma, Swan, Yotsuba &!, and Pluto.

7.) I'm not sure? I actually have read and enjoyed a lot of shounen manga, which doesn't really show up in my previous answer. At their best, they tend to be really funny and emphasize the power of friendship in melodramatic but sincere ways, which I like. I tend to lean towards a lot of stories set in contemporary settings, though sometimes with a significant but not overwhelming fantasy or scifi twist. (Scifi and fantasy setting with lots of detailed lore tend to bore or confuse me.) Though I'm not big on keeping track of genres really.

8.) Shimanami Tasogare is probably my go to for a recommendation though I'm soooooo excited for My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness, based on what I've read. I also love Aoi Hana/Sweet Blue Flowers (still waiting on Viz for a concrete release date UGH).

9.) I'm sorry for not being very good at using Goodreads...I'm very bad with sites meant to keep track of whatever you're reading or watching, but I hope to stay dedicated to this book club. I'm very excited about it.

message 4: by Aly (last edited May 22, 2017 11:21AM) (new)

Aly 1.) Rae, she/her/hers.
2.) 26
3.) Kansas City - USA
4.) I'm a hardcore gamer who loves chocolate and worldbuilding.
5.) I just got all three box sets of Naruto. I've watched the anime all the way through minus 70 episodes. It's fun to see it in manga form without all the filler.
6.) Daily. Vinland Saga.
7.) I'm a sci fi/fantasy girl. For manga, I really love shonen battle manga. :)
8.) Bloom into You seems to be developing well. I have quite a bit of yuri, but it doesn't have the depth and complex ideas that I usually enjoy.
9.) Even if this group is small, I'm really excited that it exists.