Women and Men discussion

Translating Women and Men - help needed

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 2 comments Hi all,

I've been tasked with translating "Women and Men" into Italian. I've scoured the web for studies, essays and the like in order to gain a better understanding of how the novel works but I have yet to find something that can help me get a firm grip on the different voices throughout the book - a crucial step if I want to make the Italian translation work while ensuring that it still sounds like McElroy.

Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

message 2: by Nathan "N.R.", James Mayn (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 662 comments Andrew wrote: "Hi all,

I've been tasked with translating "Women and Men" into Italian. I've scoured the web for studies, essays and the like in order to gain a better understanding of how the novel works but I h..."

No tips or suggestions at the moment, but a Congratulations! for taking on something so monumental.

(one tip :: in Joseph McElroy, Vol. 10, No. 1 there's a piece on translating Lookout Cartridge into Polish. Might be helpful. There are also some essays on W&M in there that'll be useful)

message 3: by Perifian (new)

Perifian | 9 comments There's that collection available exclusively in Italian, for which we are all extremely jealous.

message 4: by Маx (new)

Маx Nestelieiev (westalker) | 7 comments Andrew wrote: "Hi all,

I've been tasked with translating "Women and Men" into Italian. I've scoured the web for studies, essays and the like in order to gain a better understanding of how the novel works but I h..."

Hi, Andrew!
I`m a translator too. Recently I`ve translated Joe`s Cannonball into Ukrainian. Joe said to me that he is extremely happy his novel`ll be translated into Italian and so am I. But I must say that besides his interviews and The Review of Contemporary Fiction (Joseph McElroy, Vol. 10, No. 1) you won`t find any useful materials to gain a better understanding of how the W&M works so probably you should ask an author himself some questions about it. Joe was very helpful when I have been translating his novel so I think he`ll be glad to be helpful in your work. Best, Max.

message 5: by Nathan "N.R.", James Mayn (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 662 comments Маx wrote: " Joe was very helpful when I have been translating his novel so I think he`ll be glad to be helpful in your work. "

Excellent suggestion! [and congratulations for your work on Cannonball!]

Joe's webpage is ::
oh christ! it's been hacked!!!

Here's his twitter ::
https://twitter.com/watrwake

message 6: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Young | 1 comments I second the idea that McElroy will be helpful. He's in touch with fans and researchers. What an author. Also, I have much appreciation for your bringing the work to the Italian people. Good luck!

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 2 comments I'm overwhelmed by all the helpful suggestions - thank you all so much!

I'll definitely get in touch with McElroy himself. I've come up with a very rough translation of the first thirty pages or so - some passages are still pretty obscure but things are starting to click at last. The main challenge is to convey not just the tone and meaning(s) of the original but also the same kind of confusion which should start to dissipate (at least in part) when you read each section over and over again. I ran into the same issues translating W.S. Burroughs into Italian; in terms of complexity, though, McElroy is on a whole other level.