Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

General > Prompts: which discovery have you liked most so far?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne K. | 21 comments Well I am almost halfway through the challenge. I definitely can say already that I have read things I would have never read were it not for this challenge. Some I enjoyed and might read similar books or genres, some not so much.
What's you favorite discovery so far, which prompt has been a pleasant revelation for you?

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I think for me We Were Liars as a group read was a pleasant surprise for unreliable narrator. I really enjoyed it.

message 3: by Sara Grace (last edited May 20, 2017 04:56PM) (new)

Sara Grace | 123 comments The Winter People was a book I hadn't heard of till this group. I loved the book and can't wait to read the author's new novel, Burntown!

message 4: by Emanuel (new)

Emanuel | 251 comments a suggestion of an author we love.

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments Psycho for my hotel prompt. Not sure I would have ever thought to read it otherwise, but loved it.

message 6: by Paige (new)

Paige Etheridge So far the Steampunk one. I found a whole new genre I enjoy.

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Omg sarah grace I can't believe I forgot the winter people! It was a huge favourite for me too!

Thegirlintheafternoon My best surprises have been 84, Charing Cross Road (a book of letters) and His Majesty's Dragon (a steampunk novel). I wasn't looking forward to those prompts at all - just not genres that interest me - but I managed to find books I absolutely adored!

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyneedsbooks) | 131 comments I also liked the Steampunk prompt! I've heard of and read the genre before, but it motivated me to pick up Perdido Street Station by China Miéville, an author I hadn't gotten around to reading yet because his stuff intimidates me. I ended up reading the 600+ page book in a week because I liked it that much.

I also liked the "book you enjoyed as a child" prompt because I never reread books these days, especially kids books, but it was fun to have the excuse to do it. I read The Secret Garden and it was better than I remembered.

message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1769 comments I have to say it is YA books that I have discovered. Other than JK Rowling's Harry Potter series, YA is a genre that I just do not encounter at me age and in my reading. Somehow though the challenge prompts often have me stumbling across and reading fabulous YA novels and stories like The Mermaid's Sister, The Bear and the Nightingale, and A Tyranny of Petticoats. I will look them over in the future regularly.

message 11: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (bookhound18) Terry Pratchett has been my favorite find because of this challenge! I read Wintersmith and promptly read a dozen more of his books. I now have an entire shelf of just his works!

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 866 comments For me, it is We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Somehow I had never heard of it before and only picked it up because I DNF a couple of other books in the unreliable narrator challenge.
Also, A Darker Shade of Magic. It wasn't on my radar until I saw several people in this group had read it.

message 13: by Joy (new)

Joy I agree with A Darker Shade of Magic. It's probably something I wouldn't have picked up if it weren't for the challenge, and I absolutely adored it. My librarian also recommended Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania for the ask-a-librarian prompt and it was fantastic! I had read the author before but wasn't sure whether the subject matter of this book would be interesting; boy was I wrong!

message 14: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 78 comments Alycia wrote: "Terry Pratchett has been my favorite find because of this challenge! I read Wintersmith and promptly read a dozen more of his books. I now have an entire shelf of just his works!"

So glad to hear you found Pratchett! He is my favorite! I am planning to read Wintersmith for the challenge, too, but I had to read A Hat Full of Sky first.

message 15: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 78 comments The March graphic novel series is excellent. Thrilling, well drawn, written, and teaches history still very relevant today.
March: Book One
March: Book Two
March: Book Three

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 623 comments Everything I Never Told You, but I was expecting to love that one.

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 153 comments The Winter People was one that I had never heard of, but I was glad I read it.

Also, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I used this for my audiobook prompt, although I have listened to many on audio, so I'm not sure why I picked this one specifically, but I'm glad I did. It was really interesting and probably not one I would have just picked up to read.

Oh, also Rain Reign was my recommendation by a librarian. My friend is an elementary school librarian and she had just finished this one when I asked & highly recommended it. It was very good, and I will be sharing it with my soon soon. She also just recommended The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Young Readers Edition, and I think I will read that one with my son, too. I may go ahead and read the original novel by myself & then the young readers edition with him.

message 18: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (bookhound18) Marta - I'm so happy I discovered him too... he is seriously one of my favorite authors now!

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments Favorites so far The Undomestic Goddess - but I already knew I love Sophie Kinsella used for pseudonym.

Enjoyed The Book Thief for wartime story, A Dog's Purpose for becoming a movie, and Binge for audiobook.

message 20: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 71 comments I like Swimming lessons for book of letters and All the ugly and wonderful things for difficult topic/ subject.

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I haven't come across anything absolutely amazing that I wasn't expecting but I liked Milk and Honey much more than I thought I would. It also encouraged me to seek out more poetry.

message 22: by Anshita (new)

Anshita (_book_freak) | 97 comments I loved reading Modern Romance: An Investigation for the prompt 'a book with a subtitle' and more than that I loved reading This is How It Always Is for the prompt 'a book published in 2017'.

message 23: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachmo) | 60 comments I loved You which I used for the audiobook prompt. I listen to a lot of audiobooks anyway, but the narrator really added an extra layer, he was great.

message 24: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Rachael I read You too. It was so creepy! I loved it! I don't necessarily count is as a discovery from the prompts because it was more of just a lot of people mentioning it. I don't even remember where I slotted it.

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandaea129) Like some others, mine was The Winter People. I doubt I would have read it otherwise, but I loved it, and when Burntown came out I read that right away (also loved!) I need to get the rest of her books.

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate | 2 comments Sarah wrote: "For me, it is We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Somehow I had never heard of it before and only picked it up because I DNF a couple of other books in the unreliable narrator challeng..."

If you liked Dead Wake, I would recommend The Boys in the Boat!!

message 27: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments A very pleasant surprise (just like others on here) was 84, Charing Cross Road -- what a lovely book! I could barely put this one down (for book of letters).

For the book based in a hotel, I had lots of issues with this. Several of the books suggested, I've already read. So, I was not sure what to do. Very surprised and pleased about Heads in Beds: A Reckless Memoir of Hotels, Hustles, and So-Called Hospitality. This was a fun romp(s) through various hotels. It's obvious the author has worked in hotels. I enjoyed his stories, and all of the highlights.

message 28: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Ellwood (jpellwood) | 233 comments Audiobooks. I never thought I would enjoy listening to someone else reading a book, but I am on my 6th one now! I listen to them in the car and prefer them to the radio now.

message 29: by Diane (last edited May 26, 2017 12:56PM) (new)

Diane | 74 comments Some of my favorites 5*:
Lonesome Dove
84, Charing Cross Road
The Shadow of the Wind
The Count of Monte Cristo
Rebecca
Call the Midwife

Finding the genre Nordic Noir - and read Snowblind

Unexpectedly delightful - from a nonhuman perspective: Watership Down

message 30: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 731 comments The Nimona audiobook. At first I thought it was crazy to listen to a graphic novel, but it was incredible.

The War that Saved My Life I discovered from the poll here in the group - it didn't win but I read and
Loved it anyway.

message 31: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Listening to a graphic novel does sound crazy lol how did that work?

message 32: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 731 comments Apparently it's dialogue driven enough that it makes sense. I'm waiting a few months and then I'll read it as well.

message 33: by Kathy (new)

Kathy A couple I really liked:
Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk - 2017 copyright and set during a holiday other than Christmas

Howards End by E.M. Forster - a place I've never visited (England)

message 34: by Piajensen13 (new)

Piajensen13 | 51 comments My favorite and perhaps the one I was most surprised by was A Dog's Purpose. I would not have thought that the thoughts of a dog would keep me captivated for an entire read and at the same time make me laugh and cry.

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine McCann | 488 comments What a great question!

Finally reading Octavia Butler was amazing. I read Kindred (book set in two time periods), and immediately went on to Blood Child, and Other Stories (book by a person of color). She is an addictively gifted writer, and the only thing preventing me from a full binge of all her work is that she addresses some truly Heavy topics and I need breaks!

Getting a prod to read some TBR chestnuts was great too - I finally actually read Rebecca (book about an interesting woman) and some more Terry Pratchett, and I revisited an anthology I had begun but laid aside long ago: Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, which was great! (book with multiple authors)

Finally, A Man Called Ove was a delight, and not my usual genre at all, so I'm very thankful for the prompt that led me to it (a title that's a character's name).

message 36: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 120 comments I was really surprised with The Hunt for Red October. It was fantastic and this genre is one that I usually avoid.

I guess that is the point of doing the challenge :-)

message 37: by Emanuel (new)

Emanuel | 251 comments I was surprised with so many books, so far, like:Húmus,Servidão Humana andOs Memoráveis.

message 38: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (lindseybo) | 30 comments I enjoyed the audiobook more than I thought for sure!!! I listened to The Handmaid's Tale

I also really enjoyed we were liars. I know I wouldn't have ever picked it up if it weren't for the unrealiable narrators prompt.

message 39: by Emma (new)

Emma | 96 comments First in a series: The Cuckoo's Calling - loved this more than I expected to.

Steampunk - I cheated and went steampunk-lite with Soulless which I thought, at least it would be a quick read to get this prompt over with quickly. I really enjoyed it and no doubt will get to the rest of the series at some point!

On the reverse, I was expecting to be blown away by The Book Thief and was really disappointed, and I expected to enjoy Toast for my book about food far more than I actually did.

message 40: by Emma (new)

Emma | 96 comments Oh - the other thing I've discovered is that I do actually enjoy audiobooks, but only in the car!

message 41: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary Diane wrote: "Some of my favorites 5*:
Lonesome Dove
84, Charing Cross Road
The Shadow of the Wind
The Count of Monte Cristo
Rebecca
[book:Call..."

Watership Down is one of my all time favs! :)

message 42: by AF (new)

AF | 347 comments I've been pretty happy with all my selections so far. Some stand outs for me, though, are:

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
The Stars Are Fire by Anita Shreve
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

I was really hoping to like steampunk, but I didn't. It was fine, but I'm not planning on reading any more on my own free will.

I love this challenge. I don't really care if I read all the books, but it pushes me to read books I wouldn't normally read.

message 43: by Anne (new)

Anne K. | 21 comments AF I agree for steampunk I enjoyed it just enough to keep reading it, but I might give it another chance. Just not right now!

The part I love about the challenge as much as reading the books is finding them! Sifting through lists and recommendations. I definitely stumbled upon things I would not have come across otherwise.

Some of my favorites so far:
- Ahlam, Marc Trévidic (character's name)
- The Nightingale, Kristin Hannah ( that's been on your TBR list for too long)

message 44: by Darlene (new)

Darlene York | 1 comments Hi, what category did u use for We Were Liars?

message 45: by Megan (new)

Megan | 8 comments Darlene, you could use it for unreliable narrator!

message 46: by AF (new)

AF | 347 comments Anne wrote: "AF I agree for steampunk I enjoyed it just enough to keep reading it, but I might give it another chance. Just not right now!

The part I love about the challenge as much as reading the books is fi..."

The Nightingale is one of my all time favorites.

message 47: by Mirel (new)

Mirel | 170 comments Well, although I still prefer reading to audio, the audio prompt did get me to listen to a book, and I've learned to employ audio to listen to books while I drive and to help pass the time while housecleaning.

Also, the prompt to read a book about a mythical creature got me to read The Golem and the Djinni, which I really enjoyed. And, of course, the challenge helped me get to a number of books that had been on my "to read list." Of course, it also helped me add a whole lot more to that list too...

message 48: by Kim (new)

Kim Kuhne (kimkuhne) | 17 comments Reading to match titles to the challenge is definitely expanding my reading! I've done some heavier reading this year than in recent years. I'm reading "Gena/Finn" now for my book of letters-- definitely not something I would have picked up normally, but it gives a good look at a world my teen is into. Best books so far: "Beneath a Scarlet Sky"- red spine, and "Lab Girl"- genre I don't normally read.

message 49: by Mo (new)

Mo Smith (moreadsbooks) | 23 comments I started this challenge because I have a tendency to find an author that I like, and then read everything he or she has ever written, all in a row. I love that this makes me think outside the box and try things I otherwise would never have picked up.

I loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society for the letters prompt. I agree with other posters that We Were Liars was SO GOOD - in fact, I plan on picking it the next time I host my book club because we love unreliable narrators! :)

Kathy - Books & Munches (booksandmunches) | 0 comments Honestly, I've been surprised multiple times already. It's the first time that I'm doing the Popsugar Reading Challenge and it most definitely won't be the last time.

I've found so many books that I'd normally never read since I always stuck to reading fantasy - the typical vampire / werewolf kind - and didn't have the tendency to broaden my horizon, so to say.

Yet with this challenge, I’ve discovered that I love cheesy romances as well, after reading two books written by Katie Fforde. And even more surprising, I decided I absolutely love Stephen King! Horror was a genre I loathed, simply because I can’t watch those movies without a pillow to hide my face in. But the way he writes is just so all-consuming. Yes, I had moments when reading The Shining when I just closed my book and did something else for a while. Too scary! But I’d go back every single time and keep on reading – preferably not at night cause that would be too much, haha.

Those are only two specific examples I can come up with without having my list with me, but I’m sure there are a couple more.

Let’s just say that I’m already looking forward to the Popsugar Reading Challenge of 2018!

« previous 1