Black Coffee discussion

Douglass' Women
This topic is about Douglass' Women
2017 Group Reads > Jun '17: Douglass' Women

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by capsaicine (last edited May 21, 2017 07:35AM) (new)

capsaicine | 92 comments Hey everybody! We are going to start this read, Douglass' Women, on June 6, 2017.
If it's not at your library, I found used copies with minimal wear started at $5.52 with free shipping on Amazon. Otherwise, the kindle version is $10, and the new version is almost $20.

Looking forward to this read!

message 2: by capsaicine (new)

capsaicine | 92 comments We're reading Douglass' Women (it's linked at the top of the page, so if you're on your Goodreads app or on the mobile site it is easy to miss). The schedule is made month to month as members nominate and subsequently vote on books. You can find the books we are currently reading at the very top of our group page. Hope that helps!

Maya B | 790 comments This was a good book. I'll join in for the discussion

Chanel (ilovetoread2011) | 2 comments This was an excellent book. A real work of art!

I didn't even know about Fredrick Douglass's second wife. I will definitely join this discussion:)

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Buchanan (goodreadscomhbuchanan) | 2 comments Hello, everyone, I'm new to the group. Looking forward to reading and discussing.

message 6: by Toni (new)

Toni Mariani (tonimariani) Hi Heather. Welcome. Do you see the choice for June?
Hope you enjoy the group.
Toni Mariani

message 7: by capsaicine (new)

capsaicine | 92 comments Hey everyone! Here's the first discussion question:
The story is constructed in alternating chapters told from Anna and Ottilie's perspectives. How does this narrative structure enhance the story? Each woman is looking back on the past and telling her story. Does the vantage point of age influence the telling of each one's tale?

Maya B | 790 comments I like how the story was told. It put things in to a better perspective when each women was able to speak from her own point of view. It also made it easier to connect with the characters.

message 9: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee | 708 comments I must not be far enough in, because I have yet to meet Ottilie. lol
Are we discussing in chronological order or any section? lol..

message 10: by capsaicine (new)

capsaicine | 92 comments For those who have finished the book and for those still reading, what are your impressions so far of Ottilie and Anna? Has reading the book altered your impression of Frederick Douglass?

While everyone has flaws, I never cease to be disappointed by the errors in judgment of great figures in history. Do you find it difficult to admire them after such revelations or do you think we should concentrate on their contributions to society?

message 11: by Toni (new)

Toni Mariani (tonimariani) As long as the flaw in them is not something they are platforming on; such as Jefferson and the slavery issue! What a bunch of hypocrites they were!
Founding fathers? Indeed!!
Toni Mariani

message 12: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2423 comments Mod
I'll be the first to admit that I looked at Fredrick Douglass totally different after reading this book.

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Eley | 11 comments Leona wrote: "For those who have finished the book and for those still reading, what are your impressions so far of Ottilie and Anna? Has reading the book altered your impression of Frederick Douglass?

While e..."

Hello Leona. I'm fairly new to the group and I'm still reading the book. The short answer is that my impression of Frederick Douglass has not been altered. Frederick Douglass remains one of my all time heroes.