Goodreads Ireland discussion

House of Leaves
This topic is about House of Leaves
Previous Monthly Reads > Spoiler: House of Leaves

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) This is the spoiler thread for House of Leaves

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments what did you think of chapter IX, the Labyrinth chapter.

surprised that I really enjoyed it, had not expected to when i saw the structure while flicking ahead

the windows of text,
the craze of footnotes, some running across pages or nested within other footnotes,
the vertical and mirror text,
the lists of buildings running along one side, with designer and architects running in reverse and upside down on the other side...

I'm sure there were things happening in this chapter that I missed
really did have to navigate the labyrinth

having said that was a relief to get to simpler and then sparse text subsequently

did feel like the chapter most likely to induce reader to abandon the effort

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments I am only on page 378. I am reading this so slowly but agree the sparser text was a relief and like chapter IX adds to the feel of what is going on in the story. I like that it takes three pages to write "white screen" for example.

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments and done
5 star for me

feel the characters rather than the house become more central as it proceeds
more sympathetic to Navidson, Karen and Johnny

Cphe | 0 comments 5 star read for me also Andy - it did grow on me at the end.

I ended up having Karen as my favourite character - she overcame virtually insurmountable fears to be with Navidson.

A strange book, but what a brilliant concept the author had for delivery and style.

Bookworm with Kids | 566 comments Mod
What did anyone think about the 'footnote story' written by Johnny Truant? I felt that it really didn't add much to my enjoyment of the story and in fact, detracted from it in places. Towards the end, it began very odd and surreal and I didn't know if what he was saying was real or imagined or plain made up!
Certainly this was a book to mess with your head (and arms - trying to follow the text at times meant a workout)!

Cphe | 0 comments I was thinking along similar lines BWK but it was along the lines of the physicality of the novel itself.

I purchased the TPB which was large and clunky - a bit awkward to hold and I found it difficult to get comfortable while reading. Also there was the turning the book upside down at times.

I think it was Andy who made the comment before that it's almost as if the reader wasn't meant to read the book.

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments hi BWK, I felt Johnny's story added another layer (or two) of uncertainty, ambiguity to the book,

agree that much of it seemed designed to make the reader question what is real, imagined, made-up,
Neat trick in a work of fiction

Hi Cphe - think someone mentioned the dedication earlier
“This is not for you.”
nice welcome to the book

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments even the index seems to be telling us more (or less) than an index should.

lengthy references for some pronouns and prepositions
e.g. "me", "into", "for", "in",

also includes words that are referenced as "DNE" (does not exist?)
e.g. "house (black)", "triangle ", "Minotaur (black)"

almost like the house that rebuffed scientific, systematic analysis
book cannot be indexed by the index

message 10: by Cphe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cphe | 0 comments Have been wondering if it's because there was some difficulty reading the novel that's the reason it tends to haunt a long while after reading.

Don't know if after finishing I didn't so much have a feeling of reader satisfaction as more one of completion.

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments Johny is descending into madness in the footnotes and has shown time and time again (from the first long footnote) what a good storyteller he is and a liar when needs be.

He says on page 517 "Like a bad dream, the details of those five and a half minutes just went and left me to my future." So maybe Johny is the one who actually wrote the book, the five and half minute hallway, the monster which is nothing but emptiness and darkness and loosing yourself, the roar so similar to roar of his mother as she was taken from him and infact Zamanò never existed?

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments In Appendix B - page 543 (about half way down) Zampanó writes that perhaps in the margins he could create a Son who lives beyond his imaginations and inventions and who stupidities and strengths carry him further than even he can anticipate. etc

This paragraph written in 1970 is nine months before Johnny's birth. And is often believed to indicate that Zampanó wrote the book and invented Johny Truant.

Other people believe Karen wrote it. While of course others believe that the original stated combination of Zampanó and Truant wrote it.

Who do people think wrote it then?

message 13: by Cphe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cphe | 0 comments I thought that Truant wrote it.

message 14: by Andy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments Thanks Maria :)
had settled on Johnny as writer, based on 5 and half minute hallway
hadn't picked up on the Zampano comment 9 months before Johnny's birth
going to stick with Johnny, maybe inserting himself into earlier story
not sure

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments Yeh I think its most likely Johnny too.