What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Sci fi/fantasy about girl who is suddenly the ruler of a kingdom

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate | 47 comments Hi, I am looking for books where the main character is suddenly the queen/ruler of a kingdom/land. She can be the heir to the throne and grew up knowing she would become the ruler, or it could be more of a surprise to her. Bonus points if people don't believe she can do it at first, but she learns how to be a good ruler and changes their minds. Can be YA or adult.

I am looking for books similar to Long May She Reign, Behind the Throne, and The Queen of the Tearling.

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments if you don't mind ya, you might try the bone doll's twin

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments You might like Sharon Shinn's Twelve Houses series where something like this happens. First book is Mystic and Rider.

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Robinson | 38 comments The Oaken Throne sounds like it would fit what you're looking for. Circumstances lead to the main character, Ysabelle, being chosen to take up the office of the Starwife (queen of the squirrels). The book is about her dangerous journey to reach the war-torn kingdom she has inherited.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sinclair I enjoyed the Fire and Thorns trilogy by Rae Carson. The younger daughter of a king is married to the prince of a neighboring realm, but through the course of the series, including a revolution, she takes the role princess/queen into primary leadership.

Book 1: The Girl of Fire and Thorns

message 6: by Bunnycore (new)

Bunnycore Storm Born by Richelle Mead.

She doesn't grow up thinking she will rule. But I think it will fit here

message 7: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments What if she suddenly becomes heir to the throne?

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate | 47 comments Thank you for all the suggestions!

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate | 47 comments Rosa wrote: "What if she suddenly becomes heir to the throne?"

That would work too, do you have a recommendation where that happens?

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate | 47 comments Rachel wrote: "I enjoyed the Fire and Thorns trilogy by Rae Carson. The younger daughter of a king is married to the prince of a neighboring realm, but through the course of the series, including a revolution, sh..."

Yes I love this trilogy!!

message 11: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Kate wrote: "Rosa wrote: "What if she suddenly becomes heir to the throne?"

That would work too, do you have a recommendation where that happens?"

Yes I do: Princess Ben

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate | 47 comments Rosa wrote: "Kate wrote: "Rosa wrote: "What if she suddenly becomes heir to the throne?"

That would work too, do you have a recommendation where that happens?"

Yes I do: Princess Ben"

Oh yeah thats a good one! thanks :)

message 13: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Already read it?

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate | 47 comments Rosa wrote: "Already read it?"

yeah, i liked it!

☯ DαякєηRнαℓ  ❛ ᶜʳᵒᵘᶜʰᶤᶰᵍ ʰᵘᵐᵃᶰ ; ʰᶤᵈᵈᵉᶰ ᵗᶤᵗᵃᶰ ❜   (darkhearteternal) | 842 comments Okay... This might not be right... But this is what I thought of when seeing your header and who knows, maybe you'll like it: Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

message 16: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments She's already read it.

☯ DαякєηRнαℓ  ❛ ᶜʳᵒᵘᶜʰᶤᶰᵍ ʰᵘᵐᵃᶰ ; ʰᶤᵈᵈᵉᶰ ᵗᶤᵗᵃᶰ ❜   (darkhearteternal) | 842 comments Oops... lol! Ah well, at least I was on the right track (*^^*) But other than that, I'm not really sure...

message 18: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments You might also like The Mirror of Her Dreams.

message 19: by Summer (new)

Summer | 240 comments The Second Mango by Shira Glassman
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...#

Wren's War by Sherwood Smith
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...#

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...#

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 20: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments To add books or authors, click "add book/author" above the box you're typing in, and search.
The Second Mango
Wren's War
Bitterblue
The Goose Girl

message 21: by Summer (new)

Summer | 240 comments Oh, thanks! I'm on mobile, so I haven't been doing HTML. This looks way easier.

message 22: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Oh, in mobile you can't add books that way...sorry.

message 23: by Summer (new)

Summer | 240 comments Ah well. Thanks for telling me anyway, I'll use it when I'm not on mobile!

message 24: by Js700 (new)

Js700 | 107 comments This whole series resolves around this struggle and is amazing!
The Demon King

Stitching Snow and Spinning Starlight are variations on that idea but are more about the journey than about actually ruling.

Also very good: Queen Heir (NYC Mecca Series)

message 25: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Called to Power is a PNR novella with this theme. In fact, the female MC had been sent off world to live in what is basically a convent school as a child, and she stays on after she is grown as a teacher. As a result of an "oops"-the entire rest of her family is killed off trying to claim the throne--she is the last member of her family, and thus is forced to become the ruler of the planet.

message 26: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 596 comments Echo Rosa's Bitterblue (but it is book 3). It stands alone okay, but it makes more sense to read books 1 and 2.

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate | 47 comments Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Jenna, I love Bitterblue, that whole trilogy is one of my fave series!

message 28: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 596 comments Daughter of the Empire probably fits.

message 29: by Mazelover (new)

Mazelover | 16 comments Iron Fey series

message 30: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
I'm going to suggest Masques even though I'm not totally sure it's quite what you want. It's book 1 in a series, and I'm a huge fan of the author Patricia Briggs