The Queen's Fool (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #12) The Queen's Fool discussion

Bible in Spanish

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (last edited Mar 01, 2008 05:54AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Emily Twice that I can remember, Hannah tells us that she is reading the Bible to the Queen in Spanish. How likely to do all think it is that Queen Mary, aka Bloody Mary, read the Bible in Spanish? Though Spanish translations were available at that time, wasn't reading the Bible in one's mother tongue a Protestant thing?

K.f. Bloody Mary's Mum was Katherine of Aragon Henry's first wife she was Spanish. So could happen. Remember its a novel not real history. This book to me is great story, I enjoyed it. I hope you do.

Sheri K.f. wrote: "Bloody Mary's Mum was Katherine of Aragon Henry's first wife she was Spanish. So could happen. Remember its a novel not real history. This book to me is great story, I enjoyed it. I hope you do."
I did I was never a period reader until I started reading Phillippa Greagory's books Now I read everything of hers.She makes this time in history come alive her bcousins books are just as good

Artemis I am head-over-toe in love with the Tudor time periods, and yeah, our Social Sturdies is just covering the Tudor court but far too brief for me!

Now that you mentioned it, Mary should have been reading Bible in Latin, not Spanish because she was Catholic, and reading the Bible in vernacular languages were for Protestants not Catholics!

But maybe it's just that she missed her mother and wished to hear her mother's tongue.

Natasha K.f. wrote: "Bloody Mary's Mum was Katherine of Aragon Henry's first wife she was Spanish. So could happen. Remember its a novel not real history. This book to me is great story, I enjoyed it. I hope you do."
well it is based on real history...

message 6: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin Tadvick Actually even reading the Bible in anything but Latin was against the law for Protestants or Catholics - at that time period. So she would not have been reading in Spanish - unless she was reading a prayer book or devotional book.

Tina Michelle I vote for Latin also. I think Gregory gives her characters a good voice, even if the details are fuzzy. This is a favorite of mine. The fear Conversos and Murranos must have felt really comes thru in the scenes between Hannah and her father. So I'm willing to cut some slack in perfect history for that.

message 8: by Elli (last edited Aug 19, 2011 07:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elli My vote would be that there has always been definite ideas in vogue and plenty with legal support in the past as to the holy books, how and whether they should be read, and how they are to be interpreted. And no matter who says what about how which group or denomination believes, it's not cast in stone. Plenty will follow their own inclinations to whatever degree their interests, capabilities, and material availability will provide. And your own safety depending on when or where you are located. If the book was available, she could have very well chosen to have it read to her in Sp[anish. And she could have read selectively as is easy to do...to reinforce her own beliefs. I like Philippa Gregory. She can get a bit ponderous at times, admittedly,, but that won't stop me from probably gradually reading all she has written. I'm tended to take most everything I read or hear with a bit of a grain of salt anyway. I'm not into the dryness of the research type non-fiction at this point in my life, yet I'm still interested. And I love a good story that brings out so much in the underlying truth in people, humanity being what it is...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary was very Catholic she would have had it read to her in Latin and she probably knew how to read, speak, and write Latin.

message 10: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin Tadvick Tammy wrote: "Mary was very Catholic she would have had it read to her in Latin and she probably knew how to read, speak, and write Latin."

Thank you!

message 11: by Anny (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anny i support the fact that she would have been reading the book in latin but she is queen of england at the time she the though of an outspoken Protestants during is tim would have been death. also i dont remeber it much buet did hannah even know latin she could have been reading it in spanish because that was all she knew. and if she did know she could have been reading it in latin and speaking in spanish.