What is Life without books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive 2018 > Indie Books vote here 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (last edited May 20, 2017 02:15PM) (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
Here we will add our choice for Indie books. I will pick the 4-5 top books for each vote. Next read starting in September 2017 will be Indie.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Perry (tabby8) 20017? I'm afraid none of us will be around then. hee hee ;)

message 3: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (last edited May 20, 2017 02:16PM) (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
thanks lol (edited)

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Perry (tabby8) I couldn't resist :)

message 5: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
Willows of Fate (Lands of Sun and Stone Series, #1) by Suzanna J. Linton , Unspeakable Acts (McQueen Investigation #1) by Janet Leigh Green Hollow Towns by Ann Livi Andrews , Hollow Towns The Beginning by Ann Livi Andrews , Return (The Two Lands, #1) by Ann Livi Andrews

message 6: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Sparrow (mlsparrow) | 43 comments Due to a new job starting in September, I may opt out of the next group read, but I thought I'd put up some suggestions!

I have actually read this one, but thought I'd suggest it anyway. Not my usual read, but I actually really enjoyed it! It's ridiculous, but hilariously so! Off to See the Wizard

I also loved these books, too! Bloodwalker The Lifeblood of Ill-Fated Women

message 7: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
M.L. wrote: "Due to a new job starting in September, I may opt out of the next group read, but I thought I'd put up some suggestions!

I have actually read this one, but thought I'd suggest it anyway. Not my u..."

Congrats on the new job!

message 8: by M.L. (last edited Jun 20, 2017 11:56PM) (new)

M.L. Sparrow (mlsparrow) | 43 comments Aly wrote: "M.L. wrote: "Due to a new job starting in September, I may opt out of the next group read, but I thought I'd put up some suggestions!

I have actually read this one, but thought I'd suggest it any..."

:-) Thanks! I'm really excited, but going crazy trying to get everything sorted.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I have a question- what are we counting as "Indie"? Like I know there are some authors I'd read who technically had a publishing company. (Jeff Wheeler is published through Amazon's 47North for example.) Or The Raven God is published through Sparkpress.

Is it strictly authors who just directly put their book out to kindle? Or just authors who were not published via the big 5 (or some imprint thereof)?

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Bowman | 17 comments I'm glad you asked because I wasn't sure either.

message 11: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (last edited Aug 04, 2017 01:04PM) (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
I believe indie authors are any who has published themselves without the help of a publishing house. But this is just my opinion.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Aly wrote: "I believe indie authors are any who has published themselves without the help of a publishing house"

Okay thanks. Does anyone know if there is a listopia for this anywhere?

message 13: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (last edited Aug 04, 2017 01:03PM) (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "Aly wrote: "I believe indie authors are any who has published themselves without the help of a publishing house"

Okay thanks. Does anyone know if there is a listopia for this anywhere?"

I found this https://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/indie. I would say if the books you like are on it we can use this for Indie books. This looks like a lot of great books and many different topics. I would say if Goodreads says they are Indie authors we can go with them. What do everyone else think? Let me know if anyone disagrees with this. I always consider suggestions! There maybe other listopias out there besides this one I don't know. It looks to me like some of these author are like you asked about published by small publishing companies but some are not. Should we vote what we would like to refer to as "Indie Authors"? I don't mind going with the majority.

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Aug 04, 2017 01:48PM) (new)

Sarah Aly wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Aly wrote: "I believe indie authors are any who has published themselves without the help of a publishing house"

Okay thanks. Does anyone know if there is a listopia for this anywher..."

I like the idea of going with indie authors with small publishing houses. Even with a small publishing house, a lot of the books aren't necessarily available in print unless you order online. Like you couldn't walk into a bookstore and pick them up.

Updating: I mean this in addition to including truly independent authors too.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah The books I'd like to nominate are:

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee Mission Improper (London Steampunk The Blue Blood Conspiracy #1) by Bec McMaster The Far Shore by Paul T. Scheuring The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic, #1) by Patrick Weekes The Midnight Sea (The Fourth Element, #1) by Kat Ross

message 16: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
I have added a quick poll to get everyone's opinion!

message 17: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "The books I'd like to nominate are:

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee Mission Improper (London Steampunk The Blue Blood Conspiracy #1) by Bec McMaster The Far Shore by Paul T. Scheuring The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic, #1) by Patrick Weekes [bookcover:The Midn..."

These all look like great choices!

message 18: by Karen ⚜Mess⚜ (new)

Karen  ⚜Mess⚜ Love Angelfall !

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Bowman | 17 comments Mission Improper (London Steampunk The Blue Blood Conspiracy #1) by Bec McMaster and The Far Shore by Paul T. Scheuring look good.

message 20: by Chad (new)

Chad Clabo (chadclabo) | 1 comments Sarah wrote: "The books I'd like to nominate are:"

I think Mission Improper looks good from that list.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah The best part is I think a lot of them are free or fairly cheap ($4 or less).

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Karen wrote: "Love Angelfall !"

I have seriously not seen a single negative review for this one. Angels usually aren't my thing but the Gotham-like cover and all the positive reviews made it so I couldn't refuse.

message 23: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
Melissa wrote: "Mission Improper (London Steampunk The Blue Blood Conspiracy #1) by Bec McMaster and The Far Shore by Paul T. Scheuring look good."

Love these covers as well! I think we will have lots of great books to choose from as always! I feel blessed that the world has sooo many great authors for us to have such a great variety of books to read! I know my world would be a little darker without books!

message 24: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
A few more I think look great I haven't read yet but would like to add.

A Demon Made Me Do It (Demonblood, #1) by Penelope King , WitchBlood (Witchblood, #1) by Emma Mills , Witchy, Witchy (Spellbound Trilogy, #1) by Penelope King , Semester Girls by Michelle Edward Dead Close to Reality (Sandman Academy Book 1) by Jennifer Bull

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Aly wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Mission Improper (London Steampunk The Blue Blood Conspiracy #1) by Bec McMaster and The Far Shore by Paul T. Scheuring look good."

Love these covers as well! I think we will have lots of great books to choose from as alwa..."

So true! And now with e-readers there are even more authors out there waiting to be discovered.

I love the sound of Semester Girls by Michelle Edward and Dead Close to Reality (Sandman Academy Book 1) by Jennifer Bull !! The second one sounds like a thriller version of Ready Player One.

message 26: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "Aly wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Mission Improper (London Steampunk The Blue Blood Conspiracy #1) by Bec McMaster and The Far Shore by Paul T. Scheuring look good."

Love these covers as well! I think we will have lots of great books to choose ..."

Me too! I am excited about this group read!!!

message 27: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
I'm just going to throw this question out there....Since we will be reading this book we select through October, do we want to read something like a thriller or a like more on the scary/Halloween side? What do everyone think?

message 28: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Schwimley (victoriaschwimley) | 16 comments Coming in late to the conversation, discounting self-published authors as Indies is in my opinion, unfair. I know many self-published authors, including myself, who work hard at producing a quality book. And while I admit there are many books that are poorly produced, there are more that aren't. Likewise, there are many books that are produced by big-house publishers that are poorly written and have many errors in them. Until becoming an Indie myself, I glossed over these errors without a second glance. However, now that I've educated myself to the ways of publishing, I rarely pick up a book that is error free.

message 29: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Schwimley (victoriaschwimley) | 16 comments Aly, I'm up for a thriller.

message 30: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Schwimley (victoriaschwimley) | 16 comments If we're looking for a thriller, like to recommend any of Susan May's books. I've read several by her and have loved every one of them.

message 31: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
Poll results-----
Small publishing companies and self published ---have won the poll so we can nominate any of these for when we chose Indie books to read! I will be posting a new poll soon so we have plenty of time to vote for the book we will read starting September! Please nominate your books here so we can vote soon!

message 32: by Sahar (new)

Sahar Ayachi | 4 comments I am not sure how this will be "received" by the members of the group, but would it be possible to nominate my own book? It's called "The Orchid", it's a bit of psychological fiction, got published under Partridge Publishing Singapore last March and I would love to hear this group's opinion about it. It's available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble and so on for worldwide distribution and I can provide 4 free ebook copies. I do not want to impose or bother anyone by seeming like using this group's activity as a self-promotion, but if people are okay, here's the Goodreads link:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

If not, I understand and I will just vote for one of the books available on the poll and carry on with this group's read-alongs because I already LOVED the one we just read.

message 33: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
Sahar wrote: "I am not sure how this will be "received" by the members of the group, but would it be possible to nominate my own book? It's called "The Orchid", it's a bit of psychological fiction, got published..."

I don't know why you can't nominate. I try to go by what books gets the most votes so since the poll just went up. Can we save your books for the next Indie nominations? I won't forget it!

message 34: by Sahar (new)

Sahar Ayachi | 4 comments Aly wrote: "Sahar wrote: "I am not sure how this will be "received" by the members of the group, but would it be possible to nominate my own book? It's called "The Orchid", it's a bit of psychological fiction,..."

Sure thing ^^! I already voted for the second read!

message 35: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Wolford (assiduous-savant) | 25 comments I would like to nominate Tin God
Tin God by Stacy Green
andInsanity Never Sleeps
Insanity Never Sleeps by Anthony Hulse

message 36: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
I would like to nominate again The Orchid by Sahar Ayachi for our next Indie read in March 2018.

message 37: by Lydia (new)

Lydia I would like to nominate my sister and my book called The Dawsons. It’s about a cold, broken, vagrant witch named Derrick Dawson who struggles to raise his siblings in a supernatural world. It’s about him and his brother Francesco who fall desperately in love with the granddaughters of their arch enemy Antonio who is the ruler of their country. It’s about love and what the main characters go through to be together.

I really hope you will chose The Dawsons. It would mean so much. :) You can find it on Goodreads or google if you’re interested. 👍

message 38: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
I would like to nominate Ghost Mortem (Bordertown Chronicle Book 1) by Gavin Masters , Water Viper (Jesse Alexander #1) by R.J. Blain , Cairo (Three Wishes, #1) by Jeff Klinedinst as well.

message 39: by Kate (new)

Kate I will nominate Murder In Absentia (Felix the Fox, #1) by Assaph Mehr and Heart of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles, #1) by Helen Scheuerer

message 40: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Hyman These nominations are great! I just picked up "Three Wishes Cairo" and "Murder in Absentia". Honestly, I was thinking about Djinn today and--boom! Ask and thou shalt receive.

I nominate A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire, #1) by Bella Forrest , The War in Heaven The Chronicle of Abaddon the Destroyer by Kenneth Zeigler , and Death Before Dishonor by Kenny Hyman . Admittedly, the last one is mine...but hey, gotta have confidence in yourself!

~~Kenny

message 41: by David (new)

David Kummer | 10 comments I suggest Lauren Algeo's book Power

message 42: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
Kenny wrote: "These nominations are great! I just picked up "Three Wishes Cairo" and "Murder in Absentia". Honestly, I was thinking about Djinn today and--boom! Ask and thou shalt receive.

I nominate [bookcover..."

I love Dijinn books too. Have you tried?
] Becoming Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #1) by Lori Goldstein , Circle of Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #2) by Lori Goldstein , I Wish (I Wish, #1) by Elizabeth Langston , and Make Me a Wish (The Conduit, #1) by K.B. Ladnier just in case I love all these books. All different ways and rules with Dijinn but all good. just an FYI

message 43: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
Bridge Over Time (Time Series Book 1) by Linda Mayo , Haunt My Dreams by B.L. Teschner

message 44: by Alexa (new)

Alexa K. (alexa_k) | 3 comments I really recommend these (already read them, so won’t be participating in the read but would love to vote for them)
The Face You See: The Broken Series: Book 1, Acceptance and Aversion

message 45: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Hyman Aly wrote: "Kenny wrote: "These nominations are great! I just picked up "Three Wishes Cairo" and "Murder in Absentia". Honestly, I was thinking about Djinn today and--boom! Ask and thou shalt receive.

I nomin..."

Aly, I haven't tried those. I'm gonna start with the first one and work my way to the right.

Great suggestions!

Kenny

message 46: by Lydia (new)

Lydia I think The Dawsons would be a great choice. 😊

message 47: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
Hey Kenny! Have you started Three Wishes Cairo? What do you think about that one. I have been thinking about that on myself.

message 48: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1125 comments Mod
Kenny wrote: "Aly wrote: "Kenny wrote: "These nominations are great! I just picked up "Three Wishes Cairo" and "Murder in Absentia". Honestly, I was thinking about Djinn today and--boom! Ask and thou shalt recei..."

Also one more suggestion I came across, if you are still interested in Dijinn books. Have you tried Bottled by Carol Riggs ? I liked this book too. Can you tell I liked genie books? lol

message 49: by Mikayla (new)

Mikayla Elliot (mikaylaelliot) | 3 comments Here are my 3 options I'm putting up!
The Duality of Nature (The Monster of Selkirk #1) by C.E. Clayton
The Monster of Selkirk incorporates evil elves, unique characters, and characters you can fall in love with in a fantasy setting. Fluid writing, creative story!
Of Flesh and Fire - Book I Everything Will Burn by Tuesday Cross
Of Flesh and Fire is a very action packed, paranormal novel that covers vampires, werewolves, dragons, and magic in a modern day setting of a hidden school. It's hard to not love this story, let alone to get distracted!
Snow by Mikayla Elliot
Snow is a vampire novel revolving around a woman who is turned and has the power to determine the vampire's lineage-not a romance novel just FYI-while trying to protect the family she was forced to leave behind.
Yes, that last one is mine!

So the first two I have read, and really enjoyed both!<3

message 50: by Karen ⚜Mess⚜ (new)

Karen  ⚜Mess⚜ Mikayla wrote: "Here are my 3 options I'm putting up!
The Duality of Nature (The Monster of Selkirk #1) by C.E. Clayton
The Monster of Selkirk incorporates evil elves, unique characters, and characters you can fall in love with in a fan..."

I love your nominations!
I think I'm going to pick up Of Flesh and Fire and The Monster Of Selkirk Book II: The Heart Of The Forest those books look so damn good

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.