SIA Showcase for Readers and Writers discussion

Veterans Day: A Mary Jane Morris Mystery
This topic is about Veterans Day
Member showcase H through M > J. J. Jorgens

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Jorgens | 2 comments My second Mary Jane Morris Mystery, Death in Costa Rica, will be out soon, beginning with the question "what would happen if a skilled detective came up against a murder case in D.C. of a good friend and client that nobody (not the family, the police, or the press) wants solved, and that may be unsolvable?" Getting away to the beaches and little drinks with umbrellas of Costa Rica only leads her to a vacation from Hell.
Looking ahead to #3, I was just wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of staying on a home turf, like Paretsky's Chicago, or Leon's Venice, vs. shifting to various settings abroad. What do you think?

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1090 comments Hi JJ, welcome to the showcase. Writing about locations that you're not familiar with is not easy, but we're lucky to live in an age where information is available to us. I use a lot of locations, myself, and I find that even in places I'm familiar with, I tend to go look up information or double check my memory with Google Street view.

message 3: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Jorgens | 2 comments Christina wrote: "Hi JJ, welcome to the showcase. Writing about locations that you're not familiar with is not easy, but we're lucky to live in an age where information is available to us. I use a lot of locations, ..."

On the other hand if my detective leaves DC, she leaves behind many of her supporting players, the colorful gang of vets, experts, and misfits who help her solve mysteries. She can't take them all with her, though she can stay in touch via Skype, email, etc.
Using Google street view is a great idea.