Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > Your first two lines.

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uke | 61 comments A lot of the best books have a bang up first two lines that just grab you, if you were to write a book, or choose one you've read, what would yours be?

I'll start:
"They made me dig my own grave. But I wasn't afraid.
At the time I didn't know it would be mine."

message 2: by Beagle Lover (Avid Reader) (last edited May 20, 2017 04:21PM) (new)

Beagle Lover (Avid Reader) (beaglelover55) | 155 comments I felt the knife gently slipping through the skin at my throat followed by the gush of my own warm blood. 'What had I done to meet this end?' I wondered.

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood (cassiecrow) | 160 comments Edger opened his eye to a slit. The passenger car jostled and there arose from beneath one long metal- on - metal cry.

message 4: by niamh (last edited May 21, 2017 08:46AM) (new)

niamh | 30 comments i would have given my life for his because this world without George is not a world i particularly enjoy. but i couldnt have saved him, right?, cancer is a bitch, but i cant stop her

message 5: by Ana Sofia (new)

Ana Sofia Ferreira (anasofiathedreamer) Well this isn't two sentences, it's just one but "He wasn't afraid to die", and then I'd finish the story with this sentence again, as the final line.

message 6: by Elyssa (new)

Elyssa (hotpinkunicorn) | 14 comments My parents and i constantly joke about my dad writing a "how to" book some day and this would be the first line:

"The moon rose over the solar panel—which I was shackled to."

(He was inspired by 50 shades of Grey)

message 7: by K. (new)

K. (keiiksm) "The sky wept when the sea swallowed her.
I stood there, watching, unable to let a single tear fall."

This popped into my head when I was plotting my novel, and I'm considering actually using it.

message 8: by Halima (new)

Halima (hallythemartian) | 20 comments "I thought I wasn't born to be a protagonist, until I noticed my shaking hands and the dead body laying at my feet. I knew a whole story was just barely starting, right then."

I don't know, this sounds a cool Thriller first two sentences.

message 9: by Rima (new)

Rima Ben Hammadi | 159 comments Halima wrote: ""I thought I wasn't born to be a protagonist, until I noticed my shaking hands and the dead body laying at my feet. I knew a whole story was just barely starting, right then."

I don't know, this s..."

It got me hooked ... bonne continuation =)!

message 10: by Halima (new)

Halima (hallythemartian) | 20 comments Rima BH wrote: "Halima wrote: ""I thought I wasn't born to be a protagonist, until I noticed my shaking hands and the dead body laying at my feet. I knew a whole story was just barely starting, right then."

I don..."

Awnh that motivated me, merci!

message 11: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Archer | 15 comments Once upon a time an angel and the devil in love. It did not end well. Its from Daughter of Smoke & Bone. Thats probably my favorite first two lines.

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Jaye (valeriejaye) | 170 comments Tobias wrote: "Once upon a time an angel and the devil in love. It did not end well. Its from Daughter of Smoke & Bone. Thats probably my favorite first two lines."

Yesss! They're so captivating.

message 13: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Aristodemou (andreasaristodemou) | 92 comments Mama always told me that what makes your heart warm will eventually break you. I guess she was right.

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Jaye (valeriejaye) | 170 comments The first line of The Immortal Rules: "They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see."

How amazing is that first line? That trilogy is amazing.

message 15: by Alan-Without-Poe (new)

Alan-Without-Poe "When the world started to know me, slowly I began to forget who I was."

This sentence is just some random one who came on my mind.

I think it would fits in a fantasies series with a hero who become a villain.

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 102 comments Vilnius, Lithuania
~~~~~~~~

"And stay out! We have no jobs for an unmarried woman!" The blonde woman pushed Mama out, making her nearly stumble on the street. She then tripped on her long dress and did fall over, simply staring at the woman. "Your children will be too troublesome in a store like this!" She then stormed back inside, slamming the door.

"It's only a flower shop," I pouted, being six at the time unable to understand what she was referring to. "We would be good!"

From my first novel...it still needs work but I like it!

message 17: by Ailbhe (new)

Ailbhe | 8 comments Okay, more than two lines, but they're short. These were the first lines of a short story I wrote for college.

"Heart throbbing. Breaths burning like acid in my lungs. Shoulders aching. Rubber soles slamming against concrete. My revolver digs into my side from its place in my waistband but I don't have time to move it. There is never enough time."

message 18: by Sadie (new)

Sadie (SadieMonkey0) | 5 comments I tried to escape. but they held me down.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

What if all statues were victims of Medusa? Lol.

message 20: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 125 comments I've already written a couple of books.

I will share the opening lines of Aidan (First book in the Aidan Trilogy) and My New Love (Book 1 of the Our New Life duology) . Maybe Lazarus: the Beginning (First book of Lazarus: Land of the Elements series) too which is still in the works, but I only have the first few paragraphs of them done.

Aidan: I was lying in bed trying to fall asleep. Something in my chest was telling me something bad was happening.

My New Love: Tears were streaming down my face as I watched the boy I love walk away from me. It was the first time I had ever gone through something like this.

Lazarus: The Beginning: “Have you chosen who the next Ruler of Lazarus will be, Selena,” Selena’s assistant asked her. She shot Selena a sad look.

message 21: by Diana (last edited May 31, 2017 04:56AM) (new)

Diana | 39 comments she started to glow with a blue light , but when she turned back to the soldier behind her , through her ripped shirt, i saw a tattoo on her bloodied back , of a phoenix,
of the phoenix , and i could see it , only because it was writhed in blue flame.
the rebirth of the blue phoenix

message 22: by chits (new)

chits (chitxwrites) "I wanted to die. But the only problem was that no one let me." This is a line of my own if u were wondering..

message 23: by Valerie (last edited May 30, 2017 02:32PM) (new)

Valerie Jaye (valeriejaye) | 170 comments This is from a novel I wrote. It's originally in Spanish, but I translated it to post it here. Also, it's a whole paragraph, not 2 lines, but since everyone is sharing theirs, I wanted to share mine too.
Here it goes:

Luna was panting and the pressure in her ears allowed her to hear only her agitated breathing. Her lips were slightly parted, her eyes widened, horrified at what she had just witnessed. She wanted to stop looking at scene in front of her, but she couldn't. She wanted to walk away, to move backwards, to retreat, but her legs didn't react. Her whole body was paralized. She didn't even move when the pool of blood reached the tips of her little toes.

message 24: by Savannah (new)

Savannah (the_book_prophet) | 4 comments Well here are the first two sentences of a book I'm writing:

Do you ever have the feeling you’re meant for something more? Like you’ve lived your life, done a lot of things, and met a lot of people, but you still feel like you’re holed up in one place forever and you will never be able to leave?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Chits wrote: ""I wanted to die. But the only problem was that no one let me." This is a line of my own if u were wondering.."

I feel ya.