Play Book Tag discussion

The Red Tent
This topic is about The Red Tent
Archive: Other Books > The Red Tent by Anita Diamant - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2053 comments A minor character in the Bible, Dinah's story is the focus of this interesting novel. The child of Jacob and Leah, she is the only daughter among Jacob's twelve sons. Being female, she is admitted to the red tent where the women gather for births, monthly cycles and separation from the men. She is loved and raised by Jacob's four wives, Leah, Rachel, Zilpah and Bilhah and follows Jacob's tribe as they migrate through Egypt. When Dinah is old enough to marry, a horrific act of betrayal sets Dinah on a new path, away from the life and family she has always known.

This was a lovely piece of historical fiction centered on the bond between women and their strength in the face of hardship and loss. Dinah grew into womanhood with determination to become as self-sufficient as was possible and her skill as a midwife helped her become more than she thought possible. Her life was never an easy one but she always remembered the lessons she was taught in the red tent of her mothers.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8185 comments Anita lives in my town and I know her. All her novels have been fabulous, although I think the Red Tent put her on the map as a novelist rather than some of the other historical information books.

Marina (sonnenbarke) I read this many years ago, but I don't remember much of it, except that I liked it a lot.

Amy, how wonderful that you know the author!

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8185 comments This town has more than a few famous novelists. Even my beloved Alice Hoffman lives around here. Jodi Piccoult lives around an hour away. Honestly, there's more than a few recognizable names from this area.

Marina (sonnenbarke) Amy wrote: "This town has more than a few famous novelists. Even my beloved Alice Hoffman lives around here. Jodi Piccoult lives around an hour away. Honestly, there's more than a few recognizable names from t..."

Wow, that's great!