Art Lovers discussion

Just For Fun > Art Association

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (last edited May 20, 2017 04:45AM) (new)

Heather | 8273 comments This sounds like a fun activity ingeniously created by our own member Ying Ying:

"we could play an "art work association" game (similar to the word association games in other groups). Member A can post an art work, and member B posts another art work that comes to mind based on the first art work. Member C posts another art work that he/she thinks of and so on."

If anyone isn't sure about how to post a picture, I will attempt to show you. Above this box, in green, is says (some html is ok) and describes it a little bit, but it's basically:

Right click on the image you want to post, and select 'Copy Image Location' then here write

img src="paste the 'image location' here"/>

(include the " " on either side of your image link)

Directly in front of the the 'img' place an open arrow < just as there is a closed arrow at the end. If I were to paste the whole thing, it would come up a blank. I hope this makes sense!

Does anyone have questions about how to do this? Sounds easy enough. I'll post the first painting...Go!

message 2: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments

The Scream
Edvard Munch

"Handwritten beneath the image of the figure on a bridge is the title of the work in German—"Geschrei"—and, in the lower right-hand corner, the phrase "Ich fühlte das grosse Geschrei durch die Natur" (I felt the great scream in nature). It is a quotation from an autobiographical text Munch had written some years earlier, in which he described an experience he had while walking along the road near his hometown, Kristiania (now Oslo)."

https://www.moma.org/collection/works...

message 3: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments The setting of the previous image on the bridge, makes me think of another Munch's work on the bridge:

The Girls On The Bridge
Edvard Munch

"Perhaps more than any of Munch's painting, Girls on the Bridge has gained a wide measure of justly deserved popularity. The theme engaged and held Munch's interest through many versions in paint and print, from the waning years of the nineteenth century to his old age."

http://www.edvardmunch.org/girls-on-t...

message 4: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Ying Ying wrote: "The setting of the previous image on the bridge, makes me think of another Munch's work on the bridge:

The Girls On The Bridge
Edvard Munch

"Perhaps more than any of Munch's painting, Girls ..."

Excellent! Love it! Great game, Ying Ying!

message 5: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments Heather wrote: "Ying Ying wrote: ...

Thanks Heather for starting the game! :-)

message 6: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments

The Road Menders
Vincent van Gogh

message 7: by Heather, Moderator (last edited May 22, 2017 09:00PM) (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Your choice of painting more closely resembles my first post as opposed to this choice having almost nothing in common with your painting. I was just seeing waviness.

message 8: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments This is actually more difficult than I would have thought...

message 9: by A (new)

A | 270 comments Tell me that's not the first time The Scream has been posted in this group :)

I liked:
The Girls On The Bridge
The Road Menders

message 10: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments Yes, it does require a bit of thinking and perhaps research :D

Here is what your picture makes me think of: wave. This is a major Japanese artwork often at display in Japanese restaurants.

Under the Wave off Kanagawa (Kanagawa oki nami ura), also known as The Great Wave
Katsushika Hokusai

message 11: by A (new)

A | 270 comments I love Japanese traditional painting. Woops thought this was a different topic, excuse my interruptions!

message 12: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Aaron wrote: "I love Japanese traditional painting. Woops thought this was a different topic, excuse my interruptions!"

You can play, too Aaron. That painting made you think you love Japanese traditional painting so post that..a traditional painting! It's whatever comes to mine when you see it.

message 13: by A (new)

A | 270 comments This was the toughest assignment I've had in a while. I love traditional Japanese painting, but I don't know the subject matter, styles, so I just gave up and picked one that reminded me of the waves in Ying Ying's pic.

Hiroshige-53-Stations-Hoeido-11-Hakone-MFA-01

message 14: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments you got it! That's the name of thr game! Thank you Aaron!

message 15: by A (new)

A | 270 comments *Wipes sweat from brow* phew! guess I made it to round two!

message 16: by Ying Ying (last edited May 24, 2017 12:44PM) (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments Thanks Aaron for the lovely picture!

I like the blue and the mountains of your image. Hence, the association with:

Blue Mountain
Vasily Kandinsky

The representation in this image is very enjoyable: The riders symbolize a better spiritual future through art.

message 17: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments

Circus Horse
Marc Chagall

message 18: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Love the color theme we have going on here!

message 19: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Luís wrote: "Heather wrote: "Love the color theme we have going on here!"

That's the real purpose!"

Well, purpose for these last few pictures, but the whole point is whatever makes you think of your painting from the previous one. In this case, it seems to be colors. From Ying Ying's painting, I was looking at the horses.
But I see where you are coming from, Luis! Good painting you posted!

message 20: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments And as in the alphabet games, see we started with Munch The Scream and have arrived at Luis's painting (I can't tell who did that, I don't read Russian, or whatever language that is)

message 21: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments Associations by image or color are all fantastic!

I'm keeping up with the bright fruit colors and very slightly cubistic style from Luis' painting now.

Two figures
Lyubov Papova

message 22: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Ying Ying wrote: "Associations by image or color are all fantastic!

I'm keeping up with the bright fruit colors and very slightly cubistic style from Luis' painting now.

Two figures
Lyubov Papova"

Love that painting!!! I've never heard of the artist but really like that work! Thank you!

message 23: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments Heather, you are always so generous with your gracious words! :-)

message 24: by A (new)

A | 270 comments These are all great! Is it my turn? are we the only ones playing?

I really like Two figures, I'm going to have to see about getting a print of that one!

message 25: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Aaron wrote: "These are all great! Is it my turn? are we the only ones playing?

I really like Two figures, I'm going to have to see about getting a print of that one!"

I really like that one, too. And it looks like we are the only ones playing. EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO PLAY!!! (hint hint) But it's fun! I don't think we have 'turns' just post if you see a painting that reminds you of another one and post it! I think this is fun and introduces me to new works!

Go team Luis, Ying Ying, Aaron and Heather!

message 26: by Heather, Moderator (last edited May 27, 2017 11:32PM) (new)

Heather | 8273 comments

Improvisation
Andrew Dasburg

message 27: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments

I think I see the correlation here!

message 28: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments I love the harmonious color pattern and the illusion of a woman before the horse carousel!

message 29: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments Heather wrote: "I think I see the correlation here!"

Heather, can you please elaborate on the correlation? :-)

message 30: by Ying Ying (last edited May 28, 2017 12:12AM) (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments Association of Improvisation by Andrew Dasburg to:

Simultaneous Windows
Robert Delaunay

message 31: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments 'Like' both of yours Ying Ying and Luis!

message 32: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Oh about the elaboration of my correlation, Ying Ying, i was being facetious! :)

message 33: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Alright Aaron, I'm picking on you...your 'turn'!

message 34: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments Heather wrote: "'Like' both of yours Ying Ying and Luis!"

Yes, thanks to Luis for the beautiful images!

message 35: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments Heather wrote: "Oh about the elaboration of my correlation, Ying Ying, i was being facetious! :)"

Ah!!! Haha... was not so obvious in text :D

message 36: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Nice one Luis...would you like to explain what made you choose that image by the previous one? I don't see the similarity...

message 37: by A (new)

A | 270 comments Should we have a template we post with each picture?

message 38: by Heather, Moderator (last edited May 29, 2017 01:41PM) (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Luis wrote: "I liked the yellow-orange colours.... It mades more lightness to the painting... And some vivacity, in some way.. "

Hmmm, thank you for the explanation, Luis. I'm not sure I follow but that is not the point of the game! I will say about your piece and the colors...you are drawn to the yellow-orange colors, whereas I love the contrast of the green trees to the purple behind them. I have always liked the color purple with green, yellow or red. Just a personal preference in any situation, for example a floral arrangement.

message 39: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Aaron wrote: "Should we have a template we post with each picture?"

I surmise you are being facetious, Aaron. But what exactly are you saying?

message 40: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments

Blindman's Buff
Jean-Honoré Fragonard

The trees in the piece Luis just posted reminded me of Fragonard. He seemed to include trees in many of his paintings.

message 41: by Heather, Moderator (last edited May 29, 2017 01:46PM) (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Speaking of floral arrangements with purple and green, I will post this also.

Irises
Vincent van Gogh

I had the pleasure of seeing this at The Getty museum a few years ago, wonderful experience! Plus purple irises are my very favorite flower!

message 42: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments @ Luis:

:)

message 43: by Ying Ying (last edited May 30, 2017 01:02PM) (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments Heather wrote: "Speaking of floral arrangements with purple and green, I will post this also.

Irises
Vincent van Gogh

I had the pleasure of seeing this at The Getty museum a few years ago, wonderful experience! ..." width="200" length="400"

Thanks Heather, I loved the irises!!!

Here some more irises, this time from Monet :-)

Claude Monet - Lilac Irises 1917

message 44: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments Heather wrote: "Aaron wrote: "Should we have a template we post with each picture?"

I surmise you are being facetious, Aaron. But what exactly are you saying?"

Haha, I would like to know from Aaron, too. Though I am suspecting that because of your own facetiousness, Heather, you might be projecting your own characteristics upon others! :D

Let's hear from Aaron... :-)

message 45: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments Heather wrote: "Luis wrote: "I liked the yellow-orange colours.... It mades more lightness to the painting... And some vivacity, in some way.. "

Hmmm, thank you for the explanation, Luis. I'm not sure I follow bu..."

Good point, Heather! As art association is not so obvious as word association, it might be good to add a couple of words or sentences to explain how we associated the imagw we are posting to the prior one.

message 46: by A (new)

A | 270 comments Haha actually I was being honest, we could have a template we could use to fill in each entry title, author, association for example? Then we'd get to hear why.

message 47: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments I think we're doing pretty well on stating the artist and name of the work, but I agree that association is a good point to add.

So from now on, when someone posts a picture following another picture, please state your reason why that previous post made you think of your own choice. It's a good idea, Aaron.

If you are thinking of a specific 'template', please...go right ahead and design what you have in mind. That would be great!

message 48: by Ying Ying (last edited Jun 09, 2017 12:26PM) (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments Great suggestions, Aaron and Heather! Let's use this template going forward:

Association to last picture:
Picture:
Name of picture:
Artist:
Year:

Last picture is in message 51, Claude Monet - Lilac Irises 1917. Anyone? :-)

message 49: by A (last edited Jun 09, 2017 09:07PM) (new)

A | 270 comments Ying Ying wrote: "Great suggestions, Aaron and Heather! Let's use this template going forward:

Association to last picture:
Picture:
Name of picture:
Artist:
Year:

Last picture is in message 51, Claude Monet - Li..."

^support

message 50: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments Aaron wrote: "^support "

Thank you, Aaron!

« previous 1