World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Book and Film Discussions > Do borrowed books return to their owners?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13438 comments Don't know whether this behavior is global or only some local peculiarity, but I suspect a return rate of borrowed books may not be very high.
I see that people complain about it on the web: https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-people...
Libraries stipulate financial guarantees and fines to make sure they have their titles back.
What's your experience: is a lent book likely to return back?

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9479 comments My experience is a lent book is a donated book

message 3: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2144 comments Can't say about person-to-person loaning, but if it was that big a problem with libraries, communities would just shut them down because of the money lost through books not being returned.

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13438 comments J.J. wrote: "Can't say about person-to-person loaning, but if it was that big a problem with libraries, communities would just shut them down because of the money lost through books not being returned."

As far as I know many libraries 'secure' the return through credit card deposit or check..

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9479 comments There is also the point that libraries are dispassionate, and will pursue. In New Zealand, public libraries tend to be owned by the city, so they can simply recover costs through local body taxes. But if you lend a book to a relation, say, are you really going to go after them through legal proceedings?

message 6: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments Same rules for me as lending money. When I lend books, I do it with the expectation that I'll never see them again, so I don't lend what I'm not willing to lose. Life's too short. When I get a book back, I'm pleasantly surprised.

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13438 comments I estimate the chance of return at 50% :) And what's your experience?

message 8: by Marie (new)

Marie | 562 comments Well here in the states if you do not return the books and you have outstanding dues, your library privileges are suspended until you pay the fines. Now going to some other library in your county will not help either as everything is networked through the computer system and it will red flag through the system that you owe the dues.

I did notice something interesting in one of my local libraries is that they now have swap book boxes. You can take books in and get books out for free.

They also have a program called Friends of the Library and the library will have a weekend normally in the spring and fall where they will sell books. This is when they become overloaded from donations and need to sell the books.

message 9: by Marie (new)

Marie | 562 comments Explaination of the freebie books - no checkout required is what I meant - they do not track them. :)

message 10: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments I'm meticulous about returning books I've borrowed. How about you guys?

message 11: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13438 comments I always return, except didn't have a chance to give back to my Portuguese teacher O Demónio e a Senhorita Prym , which weighs on my conscience :)

message 12: by Marie (new)

Marie | 562 comments When I have taken books out I have
always made sure to get them back on time. I do not like worrying about returning so I make sure I keep track of when they are due.

Though since I have my kindle it is way easier for returned books as once I borrow them from the overdrive system they automatically will disappear off my kindle when the due date arrives and are returned to the digital system of the library without a worry from me about keeping track of when they are due.

message 13: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1622 comments It has been a long time since anyone borrowed a book. Mostly, before that, it was my daughter who borrowed my books, so they did come back.

I can't recall in my life ever having lent a book that wasn't returned, and I always returned what I borrowed, but I never had many friends that were readers, let alone science fiction readers.

message 14: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1622 comments Our local library used to have fines. Don't know if they still do. I have never returned a book late. They have some racks of paperbacks that are take one, leave one.

Our Friends of the Library sell books cheap. They have a decent number to choose from. We have a 2nd Friend of the Library that outrgrew that room and opened up a store size location with books, CDs, vinyl, movies. Basically a used book store. They are a bit more expensive but do a half price day once a month and things that encourage people to shop there.

I go to both to look for some books I want to in printed form or which I am willing to pay a dollar or two for and then put them into one of the community Little Library places. Mostly though, I use them to buy children's books because it is so much less expensive than buying new.

message 15: by Papaphilly (last edited Apr 26, 2020 10:38AM) (new)

Papaphilly | 2710 comments If I borrow a book, it always returns. If I lend a book and I say I want it back, I expect it back and I usually get it back.

message 16: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments I always return books, too. A couple of years ago, I let my neighbor borrow three mythology books, expecting to get them back, as I always return hers. A couple of weeks ago, I asked her if she would return the books, especially the illustrated one, as my son had asked about it to read to his son. Well, I got that one back, but not the other two, and I'm not going to ask again. They're gone.