The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 15.4 - Summer of Love

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4933 comments Mod
15.4 - Summer of Love
The KFRC Fantasy Fair and Magic Mountain Music Festival held fifty years ago on June 10 and 11th, 1967 was the first of a series of San Francisco area cultural events known as the Summer of Love and is considered to be the one of the first rock festivals.

Choose and option.
Required: Indicate the option.

Option 1: Read one Book 1 AND one Book 2.

Book 1: Read a book with a main page genre of Fantasy, Music or a genre that contains History or Historical.
AND
Book 2: Read a book with a word in the title, subtitle or author's name from this list of performers who appeared at the Fantasy Fair and Magic Mountain Music Festival (also in post 2). These words may not be used: the, of, &, and, w/, with. The word must match exactly, no variations. The author name may appear in any position: first, middle, other, last.
Required: Identify the word used.

Option 2: Read one book that fulfills both Book 1 and Book 2 requirements.

message 2: by SRC Moderator (new)

performers:
The Charlatans
Mount Rushmore
Rodger Collins
Dionne Warwick
The Doors
The Lamp of Childhood
Canned Heat
Jim Kweskin Jug Band
Spanky and Our Gang
Blackburn & Snow
The Sparrow
Every Mother's Son
Kaleidoscope
The Chocolate Watchband
The Mojo Men
The Merry-Go-Round
Sons of Champlin
Jefferson Airplane
The Byrds w/ Hugh Masekela
P. F. Sloan
Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band
The Seeds
The Grass Roots
The Loading Zone
Tim Buckley
Steve Miller Blues Band
Country Joe and the Fish
The 5th Dimension
The Mystery Trend
Penny Nichols
New Salvation Army Band

message 3: by SRC Moderator (new)

reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This help thread is open!

message 5: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Can you please verify:

Firstborn (Descendants of the House of Bathory #2) by Tosca Lee

for Fantasy?

Thanks

message 6: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments Can I get Explorers of the Nile: The Triumph and Tragedy of a Great Victorian Adventure confirmed for one book option. MPG History / Word used: Tim

Thanks!

message 7: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17878 comments Mod
Pia wrote: "Can you please verify:

Firstborn (Descendants of the House of Bathory #2) by Tosca Lee

for Fantasy?

Thanks"

noted

message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Daphne wrote: "Can I get Explorers of the Nile: The Triumph and Tragedy of a Great Victorian Adventure confirmed for one book option. MPG History / Word used: Tim

Thanks!"

Genre noted
That works.

message 9: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 911 comments Would you confirm The Sparrow for Fantasy?

Thanks!

message 10: by Dlmrose (new)

Ann A wrote: "Would you confirm The Sparrow for Fantasy?

Thanks!"

noted

message 11: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 820 comments Could I verify this one book option: Jefferson's Sons for Historical and Sons matching the band, Sons of Champlin

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

KSMary wrote: "Could I verify this one book option: Jefferson's Sons for Historical and Sons matching the band, Sons of Champlin"

Historical genre noted and "Sons" matches. The genre childrens is present- you would need to check Accelerated Reader BookFinder and include the scores.

message 13: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 820 comments Dlmrose wrote: "KSMary wrote: "Could I verify this one book option: Jefferson's Sons for Historical and Sons matching the band, Sons of Champlin"

Historical genre noted and "Sons" matches. The genr..."

Jefferson's Sons: A Founding Father's Secret Children
Bradley, Kimberly Brubaker
AR Quiz No. 145768 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG+ - BL: 3.9 - AR Pts: 11.0

Since it is MG+, it is acceptable if I read the rules correctly?

message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

KSMary wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "KSMary wrote: "Could I verify this one book option: Jefferson's Sons for Historical and Sons matching the band, Sons of Champlin"

Historical genre noted and "Sons" m..."

Yes, Books that have an IL designation of MG+ or UG may be used with no restrictions. However, you must state the IL designation when you post the book.

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7696 comments The Name of the Wind for fantasy (if it disappears with 19000 entries i'll scream, but just in case)

message 16: by Dlmrose (new)

Dee wrote: "The Name of the Wind for fantasy (if it disappears with 19000 entries i'll scream, but just in case)"

noted, you never know....

message 17: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Please verify fantasy MPG for The Library at Mount Char.

If anyone is looking for ideas, I believe this one satisfies both requirements.

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

BriKie wrote: "Please verify fantasy MPG for The Library at Mount Char.

If anyone is looking for ideas, I believe this one satisfies both requirements."

genre noted

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily | 684 comments BriKie wrote: "Please verify fantasy MPG for The Library at Mount Char.

If anyone is looking for ideas, I believe this one satisfies both requirements."

Excellent book if you like fantasy and don't mind it with a slightly disturbing edge. One of my favorite reads from that year.

message 20: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3766 comments Please confirm HISTORY ... and one-book option (matching word BAND)

Band of Brothers

message 21: by Dlmrose (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Please confirm HISTORY ... and one-book option (matching word BAND)

Band of Brothers"

genre noted

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments BriKie wrote: "Please verify fantasy MPG for The Library at Mount Char.

Great minds think alike! That's exactly the one I had planned.

message 23: by Bryony (last edited May 29, 2017 03:13AM) (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Please could you note genre 'historical' for The Tin Drum, and could I also check this works for option two as the author is Günter Grass (name appears in The Grass Roots).

message 24: by Dlmrose (new)

Bryony wrote: "Please could you note genre 'historical' for The Tin Drum, and could I also check this works for option two as the author is Günter Grass (name appears in The Grass Roo..."

Genre noted.
And the name works.

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3766 comments QUESTION ... for Book 2 you state: The word must match exactly, no variations.

Does this mean that I could use One Plus One .. since the word "one" is found in The Loading Zone?

Or would I need to match the word "ZONE" entirely?

message 26: by Dlmrose (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "QUESTION ... for Book 2 you state: The word must match exactly, no variations.

Does this mean that I could use One Plus One .. since the word "one" is found in The Loading Zone?

..."

If you are using the word Zone, then Zone - matching exactly without variation - must be found in the title, subtitle or author's name.

message 27: by Cat (last edited May 31, 2017 07:18AM) (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2403 comments Can the initials be used? e.g. P. D. James be Ok as her first initial matches P. F. Sloan? (ETA - I guess not, because an initial isn't a word, but double-checking!)

How about the 5th? Does that have to be 5th or is Fifth acceptable?
I assume that 5 (or five) are NOT acceptable! And similarly, that "merry-go-round" can't be broken up.

message 28: by Dlmrose (new)

Catherine wrote: "Can the initials be used? e.g. P. D. James be Ok as her first initial matches P. F. Sloan? (ETA - I guess not, because an initial isn't a word, but double-checking!)

How about the 5th? Does that h..."

Since the target is P.^F.^Sloan the initial P.^ (with a space) or the initial F.^ (with a space) would work. P.D. James does not have a space. P.D. James.
F. Scott Fitzgerald would work.

5th must match exactly and it must appear as 5th in the Goddreads record title. The 5th Horseman. Fifth, 5, five would not work.

"merry-go-round" must be used complete, it can't be broken into parts.

message 29: by Cat (last edited May 31, 2017 07:49AM) (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2403 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Can the initials be used? e.g. P. D. James be Ok as her first initial matches P. F. Sloan? (ETA - I guess not, because an initial isn't a word, but double-checking!)

How about th..."

Thanks! (I hadn't actually checked how PD James was presented in GRs - was an example out of my head!)

message 30: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 732 comments Can a book with multiple authors be used when matching Jim from
Jim Kweskin Jug Band?

message 31: by Dlmrose (new)

Cathy wrote: "Can a book with multiple authors be used when matching Jim from
Jim Kweskin Jug Band?"

yes

message 32: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 732 comments Thank you=)

message 33: by Sally (new)

message 34: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 737 comments Would this work for option 2? If so, can you note the genre, please.

Lord of Snow and Ice by Heather Massey.
Fantasy ~2 users or Historical ~1 user AND Blackburn & Snow

message 35: by Dlmrose (new)

Sally wrote: "Can I have 85 Years of the Oscar: The Official History of the Academy Awards approved for History, please?"

noted

message 36: by Dlmrose (new)

Hina wrote: "Would this work for option 2? If so, can you note the genre, please.

Lord of Snow and Ice by Heather Massey.
Fantasy ~2 users or Historical ~1 user AND Blackburn & Snow"

Yes, it does.
Genre noted.

message 37: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Dead Heat as option for both requirements -- like Dee going with juuuuust in case as far as genre goes.

Canned Heat --> Dead Heat

message 38: by Dlmrose (new)

Morgan wrote: "Dead Heat as option for both requirements -- like Dee going with juuuuust in case as far as genre goes.

Canned Heat --> Dead Heat"

OK, fantasy and Heat

message 39: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Could you verify Dog with a Bone for Fantasy please? Thank you! (Yesterday I looked at it and it showed me no shelves at all, so...figured I better double down on it haha)

message 40: by Dlmrose (new)

Cait S wrote: "Could you verify Dog with a Bone for Fantasy please? Thank you! (Yesterday I looked at it and it showed me no shelves at all, so...figured I better double down on it haha)"

noted

message 41: by Chandni (new)

Chandni (chandnin31) | 344 comments Hi, could I please have Snow Crash verified for Fantasy? Thanks a lot.

message 42: by Dlmrose (new)

Chandni wrote: "Hi, could I please have Snow Crash verified for Fantasy? Thanks a lot."

genre noted

message 43: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 468 comments Hi, please verify Good Dukes Wear Black for genre "Historical" and for the ONE BOOK option, author Manda Collins where Collins is found in Rodger Collins

Thanks!

message 44: by Dlmrose (new)

Jamie wrote: "Hi, please verify Good Dukes Wear Black for genre "Historical" and for the ONE BOOK option, author Manda Collins where Collins is found in Rodger Collins

Thanks!"

Genre noted, and it works as one book

message 45: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Simm | 4 comments Probably a long shot, but i'm just about to start reading Child 44 and was hoping it would satisfy option 2. It has a main page genre of historical (please verify) and one of the performers was called The Lamp of Childhood. Does it qualify? :)

message 46: by Dlmrose (new)

Natalie wrote: "Probably a long shot, but i'm just about to start reading Child 44 and was hoping it would satisfy option 2. It has a main page genre of historical (please verify) and one of the per..."

From the task: "The word must match exactly, no variations."

message 47: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1510 comments Does And the Mountains Echoed work for Mount Rushmore? Also noting genre of Historical.

message 48: by Dlmrose (last edited Jul 21, 2017 04:53PM) (new)

Sue T wrote: "Does And the Mountains Echoed work for Mount Rushmore? Also noting genre of Historical."

No, " The word must match exactly, no variations."

Genre historical noted