The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 10.7. - They Go Together

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 19, 2017 09:24PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4929 comments Mod
10.7. They Go Together
Math and numbers are essential to the engineering and architectural principles of the seven Medieval wonders. Written language and words are what make it possible for us to read books about them today.

Combine the two and read a book that has a number word on the cover. The number must be written out, not a numeral, and it may be an ordinal number.

Examples: Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7) by Janet Evanovich Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7) by Darynda Jones One Day by David Nicholls
REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.

message 2: by SRC Moderator (new)

reserved

message 3: by SRC Moderator (new)

reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

Thiis help thread is open!

message 5: by Nicola (last edited Jun 01, 2017 09:14AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments No One Writes to the Colonel and Other Stories by Gabriel García Márquez - would this count as a number?

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16194 comments Mod
Nicola wrote: "No One Writes to the Colonel and Other Stories by Gabriel García Márquez - would this count as a number?"

yes, since it's a number word, written out.

message 7: by K-Dee (last edited Jun 05, 2017 07:46AM) (new)

message 8: by Sandy (new)

K-Dee wrote: "Do subtitles count? Would this work? Pirate Women: The Princesses, Prostitutes, and Privateers Who Ruled the Seven Seas
[bookcover:Pirate Women: The Princesses, Prostitutes, and Pri..."

It doesn't matter what it's in - all you need is a number word on the cover of the book! So you're fine.

message 9: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2540 comments Would this work? Or would the fact that the "nine" is part of a longer word preclude it?
Ninefox Gambit (The Machineries of Empire #1) by Yoon Ha Lee

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Trish wrote: "Would this work? Or would the fact that the "nine" is part of a longer word preclude it?
Ninefox Gambit (The Machineries of Empire #1) by Yoon Ha Lee"

Sorry, but since "ninefox" is not a number, it won't work.

message 11: by Trish (last edited Jun 15, 2017 05:01AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2540 comments Sandy wrote: "Trish wrote: "Would this work? Or would the fact that the "nine" is part of a longer word preclude it?
Ninefox Gambit (The Machineries of Empire #1) by Yoon Ha Lee"

Sorry, but since "ninefox" is not a number, it won't work."

Righty ho. No worries - it was just on the off chance. There are other tasks I can fit it to.

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 89 comments Doctor Who: Twelve Doctors of Christmas Doctor Who Twelve Doctors of Christmas by Jacqueline Rayner by Jacqueline Rayner

This book qualifies according to what the task calls for, but I am not sure if it is a children's book. It doesn't say so when I look up the book on GR( first page), but it does say it is published by BBC Children's Books. I tried the AR finder, but not sure how it works.

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ wrote: " Doctor Who: Twelve Doctors of ChristmasDoctor Who Twelve Doctors of Christmas by Jacqueline Rayner by Jacqueline Rayner

This book qualifies according to what t..."

The question is whether it has childrens or kids as a main page genre, which it doesn't now. So, as long as it doesn't have it listed as a main page genre when you post, no problems.

To use AR Bookfinder, you go to the site and put in title, author, or ISBN (I usually use ISBN). If they ask you what your role is (teacher, etc.), I usually just say parent. Then, if the book is listed on the site, you'll get the info.

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 89 comments Sandy wrote: "Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ wrote: " Doctor Who: Twelve Doctors of ChristmasDoctor Who Twelve Doctors of Christmas by Jacqueline Rayner by Jacqueline Rayner

This bo..."

It doesn't give me anything, but I was just wondering because of the publisher if I was able to use it. Otherwise, the main page did not say Children's from what I saw.

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ wrote: " Doctor Who: Twelve Doctors of ChristmasDoctor Who Twelve Doctors of Christmas by Jacqueline Rayner by [author: Jacqueline Rayner|363..."

the publisher doesn't matter - only the genres listed on the main page.

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 89 comments Sandy wrote: "Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ wrote: " Doctor Who: Twelve Doctors of ChristmasDoctor Who Twelve Doctors of Christmas by Jacqueline Rayner b..."

Thank you, sometimes it takes a bit for the "duh" moment to kick in.

message 17: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 962 comments Can you please confirm this will work?

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Brooke wrote: "Can you please confirm this will work?

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher"

yes, it fits the task requirements.

message 20: by Sandy (new)

Debra wrote: "Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened

Would you consider the word "half" to fit this task?"

sorry, no. "half" is not a number.

message 21: by Amy (last edited Jul 29, 2017 02:44PM) (new)

Amy | 1273 comments Will this anthology work:

Three Jack Reacher Novellas (with bonus Jack Reacher's Rules) Deep Down, Second Son, High Heat, and Jack Reacher's Rules by Lee Child

message 22: by Claire (new)

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Amy wrote: "Will this anthology work:

Three Jack Reacher Novellas (with bonus Jack Reacher's Rules) Deep Down, Second Son, High Heat, and Jack Reacher's Rules by Lee Child"

yes, "Second" is an ordinal number.

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Claire wrote: "One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich"

yes